PrEP

8 hours ago, how241 said:

This PrEP is new info for me.  I believe I read that there are 3-4 different types of PrEP.  As an 70 year old male,  who is not using drugs or needles,  which PrEP medicine would be the best one to take ?   

Can it be bought at any Pattaya pharmacy ?  Any idea concerning price ?  Thanks for any info.

There's the original PrEP and generic PrEP, same as other drugs. Travuda, original is very expensive, Thai or Indian generic is cheap, circ 500 baht for a month from Red Cross, 1500 baht from Pulse. Don't buy from a shady pharmacy as you need your kidney function monitored

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe he isn't selfish like those old men who don't use condom or PrEP and bareback and don't care what they spread around. You get tested for HIV recently?

No I havent, but I dont stick my dick in anything with a pulse like you do.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Only if you don't have sex like you. Can still get HPV warts and herpes when using a condom

And Syphilis. 

But there's nothing you can self-medicate with to prevent HPV or herpes.

11 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Nope. Do you send them a letter every time you have sex, to tell them with whom, in what position and with what kind of protection. 

Get a life..

Clearly, your moral compass is different from mine .....

16 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Because ALL STD's are preventable , like insurance companies wont pay out if you leave your back door unlocked and someone enters through your back door and causes some damage 

Sounds like they are going through his back door, hence the need for multi levels of protection!

2 hours ago, sungod said:

Sounds like they are going through his back door, hence the need for multi levels of protection!

we can see you think you don't need protection, those guys can die eventually from AIDs, they never get tested

Very interesting, but I would like advice from here... rather than google.

What is the difference between PEP and PrEP ?
Are these pills taken before or after sex ?
Do I need a doctor's prescription from a clinic / hospital ? 
Where are these available in Pattaya and are they expensive ?

Thanks, and forgive my ignorance as I've never heard of these medicines before (hetro, but an old,old man).

PEP is Post Exposure Prophylaxis,

PrEP is Pre Exposure Prophylaxis.

Either require you follow a specific protocol. 

(HIV) PrEP can be taken on demand and requires a double dose with 24h prior to exposure followed by one dose a day while active followed by two doses after the last exposure. 

Don't use without medical supervision anyway. If you have a good health cover you'll get a refund. "Commercial" kind of insurances might not as some pointed out. The Thai medical system makes them available to Thais. OP is quite happy with the Red Cross.

A good ol'fashioned .....thank you for the info.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

he doesn't think old guys should use protection, condoms or PrEP, so he's high risk, if you're in that category get tested too

How do you know what he's been doing though? And with whom? 

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

you haven't heard of HPV vaccination by the sound of it, maybe google more 

You mentioned genital warts specifically. I was responding to that.

The HPV vaccine doesn't protect against the wart causing strains, it only protects against the most common cancer causing strains.

The wart causing strains are completely different from the cancer causing strains and there is absolutely no way to protect yourself from them. 

Not that anyone needs protection from the wart causing strains. They are harmless. Not a health concern at all, hence why the vaccine only covers the dangerous cancer causing strains of HPV. 

Nice try, lol 😆 

Edited by FruitPudding

18 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

The HPV vaccine doesn't protect against the wart causing strains, it only protects against the most common cancer causing strains.

The wart causing strains are completely different from the cancer causing strains and there is absolutely no way to protect yourself from them. 

Not that anyone needs protection from the wart causing strains. They are harmless. Not a health concern at all, hence why the vaccine only covers the dangerous cancer causing strains of HPV. 

Nice try, lol 😆 

You can Google, good. Some links say protects against warts too, anyway we're way off topic

Screenshot_2024-04-01-18-11-47-690_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

30 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You can Google, good. Some links say protects against warts too, anyway we're way off topic

Screenshot_2024-04-01-18-11-47-690_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

Of course I can google, you condescending donkey

But when it comes medical stuff, I take whatever I read online with a pinch of salt cos there's so much misleading information and Google is not a substitute for a medical degree, lol.

I prefer to get my info from doctors, so I asked the doctor all about the HPV vaccine when my kid was getting it before. 

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe he isn't selfish like those old men who don't use condom or PrEP and bareback and don't care what they spread around. You get tested for HIV recently?

Yes,  I get tested regularly, as part of my general health care.   I don't do any bareback sex, yet.  Hahaha

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, FruitPudding said:

Nice try, lol 😆 

BS alert please read this.

" ."HPV vaccines can prevent infection with disease-causing HPV types, preventing many HPV-related cancers and cases of genital warts

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

BS alert please read this.

" ."HPV vaccines can prevent infection with disease-causing HPV types, preventing many HPV-related cancers and cases of genital warts

Fascinating reading. 😄 

Must be the new vaccine (that was introduced to Thailand in 2020) that covers 9 strains of HPV.

The old one only covered 2 strains, the ones responsible for most cancers.

There are, by the way, about 150 different strains of HPV and around 50 of them affect the genitals.

So good luck out there, lads!

Don't be too surprised if you get a wart anyway (after getting your brand new vaccine with all the school girls).

Edited by FruitPudding

I'm guessing that there are men who will take the PrEP along with the Doxy PEP so they have potentially avoid most of the sexually transmitted diseases.  I believe that I read that the Doxy PEP is only 65% effective in preventing gonorrhea and syphilis.  Then you still might get the genital warts and herpes.  The good old fashioned condom, with no side effects, has a lot to offer. Taking all these pills just so you can come inside a sex worker does seem like a lot of effort and risk to your body, liver and kidneys,  and your still not 100% protected from  gonorrhea,  syphilis, warts, and herpes. The happy ending massage sounds pretty good, all things considered.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, how241 said:

I'm guessing that there are men who will take the PrEP along with the Doxy PEP so they have potentially avoid most of the sexually transmitted diseases.  I believe that I read that the Doxy PEP is only 65% effective in preventing gonorrhea and syphilis.  Then you still might get the genital warts and herpes.  The good old fashioned condom, with no side effects, has a lot to offer. Taking all these pills just so you can come inside a sex worker does seem like a lot of effort and risk to your body, liver and kidneys,  and your still not 100% protected from  gonorrhea,  syphilis, warts, and herpes. The happy ending massage sounds pretty good, all things considered.  

Here's a man speaking sense. 💯 

Except, I highly doubt that 65% figure you are saying. I don't see how those bacteria could get into the body while taking doxycycline, especially since it treats syphilis and gonorrhea even after you been infected.

It's also an anti-malarial, for goodness sake. Doesn't it stop virtually 100% of malaria infections when taken as prescribed by a doctor?

I don't see how any bacterial STD is getting into you with doxy in your system. It prevents life in most organisms.

That said, I still don't see the sense in using it as PEP when you could just simply treat an infection after you get it, rather than endlessly take antibiotics. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Except, I highly doubt that 65% figure you are saying. I don't see how those bacteria could get into the body while taking doxycycline, especially since it treats syphilis and gonorrhea even after you been infected.

A quick Google search using "Doxycycline for STI Prevention:"   will show many different results .   Some show 50%  protection, some show 70-80%  protection, depending on many factors.  A lot of different results seem to depend on if you run into drug resistant gonorrhea. Pattaya has a lot of  resistant gonorrhea due to the high number of sex workers.  All the results are Far from the 99%  that PeEP offers. Your right that you could just treat infections if or when you get them. 

Lots of reading if your interested :  https://www.google.com/search?q=Doxycycline+for+STI+Prevention%3A&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

6 hours ago, how241 said:

No one is forcing you, just use a condom but you can still get warts and herpes. PrEP has been a game changer to the gay community, prior to that they were just told use a condom which of course wasn't effective

6 hours ago, how241 said:

A quick Google search using "Doxycycline for STI Prevention:"   will show many different results .   Some show 50%  protection, some show 70-80%  protection, depending on many factors.  A lot of different results seem to depend on if you run into drug resistant gonorrhea. Pattaya has a lot of  resistant gonorrhea due to the high number of sex workers.  All the results are Far from the 99%  that PeEP offers. Your right that you could just treat infections if or when you get them. 

Lots of reading if your interested :  https://www.google.com/search?q=Doxycycline+for+STI+Prevention%3A&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Ah okay, your link mentions taking a single dose of 200mg doxycycline after sex (even up to 72 hours after lol)

I was assuming you were talking about using it the way it is prescribed as an anti-malarial (i.e. prolonged use of 100mg a day continuously; before, during, and after potential exposure) .

Big difference already having it in your system to protect you before sex occurs rather than trying to treat/abort an infection immediately after you get it.

Edited by FruitPudding

3 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Ah okay, your link mentions taking a single dose of 200mg doxycycline after sex (even up to 72 hours after lol)

I was assuming you were talking about using it the way it is prescribed as an anti-malarial (i.e. prolonged use of 100mg a day continuously; before, during, and after potential exposure) .

Big difference already having it in your system to protect you before sex occurs rather than trying to treat/abort an infection immediately after you get it.

So you were banging on about it but you didn't understand what Doxy PEP was, you understand it now?

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

So you were banging on about it but you didn't understand what Doxy PEP was, you understand it now?

Yeah, it makes even less sense than what I was thinking,  lol

Why wouldn't you take it the day before if you plan to have this sort of lifestyle?

Or on a continuous basis like it's used as an anti malarial?

Why take a dose day(s) after? Unless your condom broke or something, then I understand 

25 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Why wouldn't you take it the day before if you plan to have this sort of lifestyle?

No need to take it a day before, and not everyone plans ahead like that

26 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Or on a continuous basis like it's used as an anti malarial

taking continuously wouldn't be good if you took it all the time. Anti malarial is for a limited time, holidays etc

26 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Why take a dose day(s) after?

up to 72 hours, personally i usually take it straight after, after food

I believe that I read that the Doxy PEP  can be taken for up to 4 months continuously.  It does seem like a lot of pills to take just to 'maybe' have relatively safe condom free sex.  Some might conclude that is more trouble than  it is worth.

It's a personal decision for each to make.  

3 hours ago, how241 said:

I believe that I read that the Doxy PEP  can be taken for up to 4 months continuously.  It does seem like a lot of pills to take just to 'maybe' have relatively safe condom free sex.  Some might conclude that is more trouble than  it is worth.

It's a personal decision for each to make.  

For me it makes sense for 1 or 2 times a week. If i was someone coming on holiday for a few weeks I'd take PrEP and doxy PEP

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

For me it makes sense for 1 or 2 times a week. If i was someone coming on holiday for a few weeks I'd take PrEP and doxy PEP

I  agree that for holiday visitors taking both of these would be a good idea if they plan to bareback.  I know that acyclovir is used to limit herpes infections and can also used used full time, at lower dosages,  to limit or prevent outbreaks.  I'm  purely speculating that if you took a full dose of acyclovir for 1-2 weeks while on holiday that it 'might' prevent you from getting herpes.  The drug stops the herpes virus from replicating But I don't know if it would actually stop a person from getting the infection initially.  I'm old so I remember back in the 70's,  where there was no HIV and not much talk about herpes.  We screwed like crazy and the worst thing I ever got was the 'drip',   Gonorrhea  that was easy cleared up by a shot of penicillin or taking some pills for a few days. Those were the days of Sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll.  Sex was carefree,  fun,  and usually free.  Times have changed.

• Like 1