Happy-Go-Lucky Australia Is Feeling Neither Happy, Nor Lucky

Social Media

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I am not scapegoating immigrants. In most cases they are not to blame.

The problem is governments opening the floodgates to provide cheap labour for large multinationals without spending on the infrastructure to support the increased numbers. This leads to a housing crisis and a deterioration in services for the native population. If not vetted and intergrated properly it also negatively impacts the local culture. 

Maybe you have a point. It would be interesting to get a native-born Australian's perspective regarding any negative effects of British immigrants on Australian culture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RayC said:

Maybe you have a point. It would be interesting to get a native-born Australian's perspective regarding any negative effects of British immigrants on Australian culture.

British culture and Australian culture is very similar, for obvious reasons. 

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Given that the Aussies call us "Whinging Poms", it would appear that at least some Brits have problems integrating themselves into Australian society.

British migrants to Australia will require housing, health provision, etc and their kids will need schooling so, as a group, they are just as much a drain on Australia's infrastructure as other immigrants. Wouldn't you agree?

In any event, as the article states, from post-WW2 until COVID Australia was an almost continuous economic success story. Roughly 30% of Australian residents were born outside the country. Therefore, it seems reasonable to suggest that immigration has had a positive effect in Australia.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

They call all of us whinging Poms, not only the ones that move to Australia to live. It's a term of endearment nearly always said with a cheeky grin and a wink. I have a great relationship with my Aussie colleagues and whinging pom is nothing more than a light hearted bit of ribbing. A nod to our shared history. You're reaching with that one.

Language evolves. 'Whinging Pom' can be used in a playful manner but the origins of the phrase (probably) date to the early '60s when it was used in a derogatory manner to describe British immigrants (the £10 Poms?) who were constantly complaining and did not mix with the locals. So an example of a lack of integration and hardly "reaching".

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

I'd agree it's an equal drain on infrastructure as other immigrants. However, the similarity of the cultures (love of cricket, rugby, beer etc.) plus the fact we speak the same language would obviously make cultural integration easier for the average Brit than many other countries.

Common interests obviously aid integration. 

I'm no expert re Australian immigration requirements but I'd be very surprised if those applying for permanent residency in Australia (other than refugees) weren't required to be able to speak English.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Yes, they used to control it much better than they do now. Controlled, selective immigration based on the needs of the country is a great thing, always said that. They've lost control of the numbers now and are paying the price. Just like the UK. Sad. 

What events/ changes to visa requirements have caused Australia to lose control of their immigration system?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dolf said:

Caused by bad politicians like every other country. The 2024 leaders are terrible in almost every country but it has been bad for years.

In the absence of evidence you offered an unsubstantiated opinion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Still no evidence presented yo back up the claims that Australia’s current economic woes are cause by immigrants.

He doesn't have to present evidence. You are just a troll.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Dolf said:

He doesn't have to present evidence. You are just a troll.

You’ll find this written at the top of the world news forum.

Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source.”

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

You’ll find this written at the top of the world news forum.

Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source.”

It is just opinions. You are trolling.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Look, I lived in Thailand many years and went back to Australia broke. I don't have any income anymore apart from my OAP I don't have my superannuation anymore which I got paid out moving to Thailand. Also sold my business which I had for 22 years. I am not blaming Thailand I might have made some bad discissions, but I can't complain about Australia. I have not paid electricity for a number of years (yes, I am not in the east) and yes prices went up but that happens in every country. I still travel to Thailand ones or twice a year living on just my OAP. My Thai wife owns 2 houses, so I get my full single pension (we live separate, but we are not apart.) I am happy here and have been for many years. For me it is still the land of milk and honey, maybe the younger generation don't agree, but we didn't agree with the generation prior to us as well.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Q. What's the difference between a 747 and a Pom

A. The 747 stops whining when it gets to Sydney.

In NZ it was different. There the saying was

Q How do you know if a plane has arrived from Pommyland?

A it keeps whining when the engines stop.

8 hours ago, still kicking said:

Look, I lived in Thailand many years and went back to Australia broke. I don't have any income anymore apart from my OAP I don't have my superannuation anymore which I got paid out moving to Thailand. Also sold my business which I had for 22 years. I am not blaming Thailand I might have made some bad discissions, but I can't complain about Australia. I have not paid electricity for a number of years (yes, I am not in the east) and yes prices went up but that happens in every country. I still travel to Thailand ones or twice a year living on just my OAP. My Thai wife owns 2 houses, so I get my full single pension (we live separate, but we are not apart.) I am happy here and have been for many years. For me it is still the land of milk and honey, maybe the younger generation don't agree, but we didn't agree with the generation prior to us as well.

You are obviously far better off in Oz than I am across the ditch. By the time I pay my rent and buy food, pay full price for Dr visits, expensive dentists, car costs etc, the idea that I could afford a trip to LOS is just a dream.

• Haha 1

I left Melbourne in 2009 for a O/S expat job in middle East country's, working 4 weeks on 4 weeks off living in Thailand.

I been going back to Melbourne every year for a month, apart from Covid years.

Before Covid the place was a mess so expensive, i never knew Australia to be like that ever that is cost of living.

Now after Covid its even worse, the gov is trying to get back what they lost for the disastrous way they handled Covid, i was embarrassed to what happened to the country and was glad i wasnt living there at the time, i mean they made every state pretty well much a separate country it was just stupidity and wrong I'm surprised the people didn't revolt.

I'm 58 now have a few more years in working O/S, when i retire it will be Thailand i will not ever live in Oz again i will not pay the stupid tax the country imposes on its citizens so pretty well Oz can get the F**K

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Have a friend in Adelaide who says the dream of owning a home for first home buyers has become out of reach. They are looking at prices starting at around $500,000 and up, median price is $850,000. Sydney and Melbourne even higher.

Edited by giddyup
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, JonnyF said:

No, not really. Not any more.

And historically never was. Founded on convicts & exiles NOT dreaming of Mother England.

13 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Q. What's the difference between a 747 and a Pom

A. The 747 stops whining when it gets to Sydney.

That's pretty funny. 😃 You Aussies always had a good sense of humour, on paper anyway.

Talking of paper, you can tell a lot by a person by the type of paper they buy.

Take Steve Smith and sandpaper for example. 😄

image.png.c061f31b738173998f3b979611ad7c0d.png