Happy-Go-Lucky Australia Is Feeling Neither Happy, Nor Lucky

Social Media

On 3/28/2024 at 6:02 AM, Social Media said:

a 28-year-old content creator from Cairns, illustrates this struggle vividly. Hindered by skyrocketing rent and exorbitant childcare costs, Northam's aspirations of becoming a hairdresser have been dashed,

My heart bleeds.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, RayC said:

Maybe you have a point. It would be interesting to get a native-born Australian's perspective regarding any negative effects of British immigrants on Australian culture.

I lived in Adelaide right next to a British migrant hostel. The £10 Pom scheme brought many to Australia to work and live. Think only negative effect was they over very over unionised and industry suffered.

Most were great people except for whinging ones. 

Bagged Australia and  complained home better 

Had a neighbor in 1972 complained and went back, funny met him a shop a year later he back.

Asked him why, too many darkies there now.

That never stopped him same again 4 years later.

He back again after another few years 😂

• Thanks 1

The source of the article was the NYT. what would they know about OZ.

As has been stated the cost of everything has gone crazy according to friends and family back there. The current housing/rental problems are a direct result of the immigration policy. You cannot have 20000 come into the country every month and not have a problem, it is impossible to build that amount of accommodation.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I am not scapegoating immigrants. In most cases they are not to blame.

The problem is governments opening the floodgates to provide cheap labour for large multinationals without spending on the infrastructure to support the increased numbers. This leads to a housing crisis and a deterioration in services for the native population. If not vetted and intergrated properly it also negatively impacts the local culture. 

While immigration can influence housing demand, the current housing crisis in Australia stems from a variety of factors that created a 'perfect storm,' exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The catalyst for this crisis was a decrease in immigration not an increase.

Here's is a detailed view:

Decreased Immigration: The pandemic caused a substantial reduction in net overseas migration, potentially lowering the housing demand in Australia by 129,000 to 232,000 from 2020 to 2023. This led to an initial drop in housing demand and a decline in construction activity.

Construction Slowdown: Lockdowns and supply chain disruptions during the pandemic resulted in construction delays, slowing the introduction of new housing to the market.

Return of Expatriates: The closure of Australia's borders prompted many expatriates to return, increasing the demand for housing.

Low-Interest Loans: Historically low interest rates caused a spike in property prices, further fueled by government incentives for homebuyers, which increased the number of first-time buyers.

Material Shortages and Price Hikes: Supply chain challenges during the pandemic caused shortages of materials and price increases, complicating construction and raising the cost of new homes.

In summary, it was not increased immigration but a confluence of the above factors that led to the housing crisis in Australia.

COVID-19: Australia's population and housing demand | Housing Australia

Here's how Australia's housing market was reshaped by the pandemic - ABC News

Edited by LosLobo
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

While immigration can influence housing demand, the current housing crisis in Australia stems from a variety of factors that created a 'perfect storm,' exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The catalyst for this crisis was a decrease in immigration not an increase.

Here's is a detailed view:

Decreased Immigration: The pandemic caused a substantial reduction in net overseas migration, potentially lowering the housing demand in Australia by 129,000 to 232,000 from 2020 to 2023. This led to an initial drop in housing demand and a decline in construction activity.

Construction Slowdown: Lockdowns and supply chain disruptions during the pandemic resulted in construction delays, slowing the introduction of new housing to the market.

Return of Expatriates: The closure of Australia's borders prompted many expatriates to return, increasing the demand for housing.

Low-Interest Loans: Historically low interest rates caused a spike in property prices, further fueled by government incentives for homebuyers, which increased the number of first-time buyers.

Material Shortages and Price Hikes: Supply chain challenges during the pandemic caused shortages of materials and price increases, complicating construction and raising the cost of new homes.

In summary, it was not increased immigration but a confluence of the above factors that led to the housing crisis in Australia.

COVID-19: Australia's population and housing demand | Housing Australia

Here's how Australia's housing market was reshaped by the pandemic - ABC News

So you think that bringing in 659,000 immigrants in a year to a country with a chronic housing shortage doesn't have any impact on the housing shortage?

Got it... 😄

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2024/mar/21/migration-numbers-australia-2023-rise

image.png.d26a35504d5d9140c436656b2a6c7b81.png

20 hours ago, JonnyF said:

British culture and Australian culture is very similar, for obvious reasons. 

As well as Australia's economy relative to Brexit, same trade restraints to EU, for obvious reasons.

48 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Wow, I am impressed, you are able to support your opinions with evidence.

Nevertheless, it appears you've missed the point. My post challenged your claim that 'governments opening the floodgates to provide cheap labor leads to a housing crisis'.

The recent surge in immigration, catching up from the past years due to COVID, has indeed worsened the issue. However, it did not initiate or lead to this housing crisis, nor was it the sole cause of it, as elaborated in my post.

Of course it added to the crisis. I don't need a quote from a newspaper to tell me that adding 6xx,xxx people in a year to a country that has a housing shortage will increase the problem.

It does lead to a housing crisis. As do many other factors. I never said it was the sole cause, you made that bit up. But the good news is, if you have a habit of inventing things people have said and then arguing against that imagined statement, you're in good company here. 😄

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Of course it added to the crisis. I don't need a quote from a newspaper to tell me that adding 6xx,xxx people in a year to a country that has a housing shortage will increase the problem.

It does lead to a housing crisis. As do many other factors. I never said it was the sole cause, you made that bit up. But the good news is, if you have a habit of inventing things people have said and then arguing against that imagined statement, you're in good company here. 😄

No one has contested your initial paragraph; it's clearly an illogical 'straw man' tactic on your part.

The verbs 'lead to' and 'add to' do not share the same meaning. I could provide their definitions, but you've already indicated that you don't require quotations.

Could you indicate where I alleged you stated it was the 'sole cause'?

What exactly is being invented?

The act of projection and the quote, "accuse the other side of that which you are guilty," attributed to Josef Goebbels, springs to mind.

• Like 1

Its a global agenda, not just Australian's who are probably better off than most! The current system is not self sustaining and globally most countries populace will fall further into poverty except the elite who will as always benefit from the demise of the masses!

The banking system is geared to break us unless you are part of it, the food chain is becoming more toxic & expensive by the day and so it goes on! The electric vehicle clean energy agenda has a larger carbon foot print than those that run on fossil fuels, another con!. A number of good leaders with a vision were removed because they wanted to change these things for the better but the elite didnt want that when they were getting by the day. JFK assassinated by his own VP and law enforcement agencies, September 11 World trade centre, how many innocent people killed, a precursor to invade Iraq with the further false claim of WOMD, what a disgrace! The destabilisation of the Middle East, firstly Iraq and now look how its spread, the Covid scam and what happened to leaders who opposed the WHO's filthy agenda instigated by people like Bill Gates who controls the foundation which is the largest WHO donor! Until these instigators & perpetrator's who have intentionally carried out these atrocities to further their financial gains are dealt with there will be no improvements. Russia, Israel, Myanmar, Yemen wars should all be stopped, Hamas should be held accountable & Israel withdraw from the Palestinian enclave, Russia should withdraw from the Ukraine and honour the long established border, Isis should be eradicated as they have further destabilised the Middle East, the USA and to a lesser extent Britain has a lot to answer for on the global stage, especially their presence in the Middle East which has been destabilising almost since the end of WW11. China should be halted in its continual land grabs from most of its neighbours and their continual illegal fishing practices. This is just the tip of the iceberg so when you ask yourself why the populace is getting poorer it will continue to do so until the agenda is eradicated. 

• Thanks 1