Opticians who do Prescriptions without purchase!

scottiejohn

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

The title is fairly obvious as I do NOT wish to go near a hospital for the prescription.

I am looking for a paid for prescription that I can use with Zenna Optical.

Any in Central Festival

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Any in Central Festival

You're joking. They will NOT give you your prescription without you buying from them

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

You're joking. They will NOT give you your prescription without you buying from them

They all do, I went there with my daughter, and we got two prescriptions just to check and verify both the same.

• Agree 1

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

They all do, I went there with my daughter, and we got two prescriptions just to check and verify both the same.

OK, what did you pay for the eye tests?

There aren't that many licensed optometrists in Chiang Mai, there is one who works for one of the big chain hospitals who is dreadful. Another is the owner at Vision Center who is extremely skilled and probably the best qualified in the North but again, you are expected to buy lenses from him. The people you've been talking to in the shops almost certainly aren't optometrists, they are sales people who know how to use technology to calculate prescriptions. If those people say they are optometrists, ask to see their license and see what happens.

For me, I'd go to Vision Center every time.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

PS......increasingly, opthamologists don't want to give out prescriptions and refer to optometrists, even in hospitals. 

Also, the doctor at St Peters Eye Hospital may give you one, I suggest you avoid the big hospital on the ring road.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

Thanks.

I will try them and see if they will do the prescription, for a fee. without purchase.

The only problem is that many years ago I went to them and asked a fairly basic question regarding varifocals to be given totally false advice as I subsequently discovered!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

PS......increasingly, opthamologists don't want to give out prescriptions and refer to optometrists, even in hospitals. 

Also, the doctor at St Peters Eye Hospital may give you one, I suggest you avoid the big hospital on the ring road.

As more optometrists become available in the workforce - but I received from government ophthalmologist working part time at a large Bangkok hospital two months ago without issue.  Am sure any "eye hospital" doctor would provide (but if they have optometrist on staff may defer testing to them).

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, dddave said:

There are virtually no licensing or certification standards for the technicians in most optical shops.  Many use a computerized system that I found was highly inaccurate.  If you are seeking an accurate prescription for something as complicated as progressive lenses, pay for a pro.  If in Bangkok, Rutnin Eye Hospital is the best but be aware.  If you request an "Eye Examination", at Rutnin that is a thorough examination of the eye itself by an Ophthalmologist and DOES NOT include a vision test.  You must specifically ask for a VISION TEST and if wanting progressive lenses, make sure the prescription includes your PD (pupillary distance)

I have been a Zenni customer for 7 years now and have had nothing but good service from them. Just beware of the "Add-Ons" when ordering.  Read up on them.  Most are pretty worthless. 

Had several specs from Zenni, all perfect except the last one in January which did not seem quite correct (progressive lenses). A chat with them and I got a full refund. Reverted to my previous Zennis.

Off topic a bit. Watched a Dragon's Den where a couple were setting up 'pop-up' spec stalls, lenses ground there and then as you wait. They got their investment.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Off topic a bit. Watched a Dragon's Den where a couple were setting up 'pop-up' spec stalls, lenses ground there and then as you wait. They got their investment.

Thanks yes I saw that episode!

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe I should ask this question a different way. 

My problem is not to do with eyesight but the degradation in lens coatings on my specs.

I bought these progressive specs from one of the BIG high street retailers in CM with added coatings which have partially worn away leaving the glasses useless.

I have asked/complained at the shop but no luck as they say 19 months old!!

At 70 YO will my eyesight have changed that much or could I use the prescription they used to order online.  I used the same prescription at the same time to buy ordinary reading glasses (no coatings) which I can still use perfectly well?

Thank you all for your responses so far!

3 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

My problem is not to do with eyesight but the degradation in lens coatings on my specs.

I bought these progressive specs from one of the BIG high street retailers in CM with added coatings which have partially worn away leaving the glasses useless.

At 70 YO will my eyesight have changed that much or could I use the prescription they used to order online.  I used the same prescription at the same time to buy ordinary reading glasses (no coatings) which I can still use perfectly well?

I would trust a glasses shop to tell you the prescription in your existing glasses.....I think!

I was always a little suspicious of those coatings and paying for things here that you cannot actually see. Scratch resistant coating, UV coating, that'll be an extra 3k....but how do you know.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

I have done exactly the same myself, getting replacement lenses from a big French manufacturer after the coatings started peeling after 18 month. Keep on at them and they will replace lenses.

Zenni also replaced lenses on which the coatings were failing after 10 months, only guaranteed for 12.

Still using a 2018 prescription when I was a mere 71. Still seeing OK.

One place made me a long-distance only lenses pair years ago. I now use for watching TV in bed as it doesn't matter if sitting or lying, you still look through the long distance bit.

• Thanks 1

I had a horrible experience with an optometrist at a big hospital in Chiangmai who was (they told me) one of the two optometrists in CM who knew how to prescribe glasses for my condition.

After that horrible experience, I decided that my next visit to an optometrist would be in Bangkok, or outside Thailand.

• Confused 1

All the above reasons are why I get my eyes tested, prescriptions, prescription glasses when I used to need them, and any necessary optical work done in the UK.

I am not saying your eye health cannot be well looked after in Thailand. It's a minefield though, and you must tread carefully.

Most of them are salespeople and determined to sell you products, often which you can manage without.

I am very wary of my eyes and I was far less anxious about getting them done in the UK than I would in Thailand.

We used to have a good ophthalmologist in Kalasin city. It's a long while since I went,m so I am unsure if he is still there.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2024 at 12:28 AM, dddave said:

I got tired of replacing glasses every 3 years because of hazing caused by cleaning.  Even using the softest cloths, eventually there would be hazing. 

I started washing my glasses during my morning shower, soaking the lenses and just using suds from my shampoo and my fingers to clean the lenses. After the shower, I carefully blot them dry with a soft towel.  My current pair is now in their 4th year with no hazing at all, still crystal clear.

I do the same. But DO NOT use bog paper to dry them as it contains lanolin, soft on the cheeks but leaves streaks on your specs! Poetic eh?

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 6:07 PM, KannikaP said:

OK, what did you pay for the eye tests?

We did it again yesterday in BigC because she thought her eyes had got worse, actually one was slightly better.

There was no charge, there never is in locations with one or more opticians.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 6:06 PM, JBChiangRai said:

What type of testing did they do--are you talking about the shops which have the machine that you look into for a brief period of time and then it spits out a "prescription"?  

there are few actual trained optometrists who have the proper equipment and are trained how to use it---i know one is at CM Ram--it was the only testing i have seen done that resembled professional testing back in the US, by a certified optometrist.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 6:08 PM, lopburi3 said:

Opticians should not be providing prescriptions period.  They fit glasses.

Optometrists can test and prescribe but are few and far between in Thailand as is a new profession.

Ophthalmologists are full doctors and can provide surgery as well as testing.

Here in Thailand I would advise going to where you do not want to go - a hospital - where most of these professionals work and can provide prescription without expectation of buying from them.

That said some optometrists in private practice will provide such a service for a fee - I used one years ago on basis needed for US Drivers License renewal.

exactly right!

On 3/28/2024 at 6:12 PM, Mike Lister said:

There aren't that many licensed optometrists in Chiang Mai, there is one who works for one of the big chain hospitals who is dreadful. Another is the owner at Vision Center who is extremely skilled and probably the best qualified in the North but again, you are expected to buy lenses from him. The people you've been talking to in the shops almost certainly aren't optometrists, they are sales people who know how to use technology to calculate prescriptions. If those people say they are optometrists, ask to see their license and see what happens.

Yes, i have used the one at CM Ram and she was good--Vision Center also, but as you said, they will do the testing for free but expect you to purchase glasses.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 6:53 PM, scottiejohn said:

"I bought these progressive specs from one of the BIG high street retailers in CM"

wow, I didn't know CM had such retailers--to which shops and where? 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, SammyJ said:

What type of testing did they do--are you talking about the shops which have the machine that you look into for a brief period of time and then it spits out a "prescription"?  

there are few actual trained optometrists who have the proper equipment and are trained how to use it---i know one is at CM Ram--it was the only testing i have seen done that resembled professional testing back in the US, by a certified optometrist.

We have done a few where they used the automated system and often that leads on to the full test.  The one at the weekend was the full test.  If you pick a location like Central Mall, there is competition between them, and they will all do the full test.

The different frames with designer labels is bull$hit, they are all made in the same factory.

My daughter insists on buying from the opticians here but I have persuaded her that there is no such thing as glasses that improve your appearance therefore they should be as invisible as possible which means frameless.  Not all opticians carry them and they are expensive.

I buy my prescription glasses from AliExpress where I pay under 1,000 baht for frameless, titanium memory frames with photochromic lenses, I have 4 pairs and they darken pink, brown, blue & purple respectively.  I've been wearing one of these pairs for 2 years now and the lenses are still perfect with coating intact.  I have little astigmatism and don't correct that.  Titanium memory frames require no fitting.

The only measurement I need to take along with the prescription is the distance between pupils.

• Like 1

You say they will all do the "full test"--what does that consist of?  Might you go from an outside machine one stares into independently to a backroom where you can stare at an eye chart, but  i have never seen here any shopping mall glass shop have a certified optometrist or the types of testing equipment utilized by professional, certified, trained, optometrists  at CM Ram, Vision Center or ones i have seen back in the US.