Possible Ukrainian defensive retreat

The congressional delay in approving a $60 billion military aid package has been costly for Ukraine, Zelensky said. The military has been unable to plan future operations while legislators squabbled for nearly six months. He warned that hard-pressed Ukrainian forces might have to retreat to secure their front lines and conserve ammunition.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/03/29/ignatius-zelensky-interview-ukraine-aid-russia/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_opinions&utm_campaign=wp_opinions

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Always good to be able to blame other people for his own mistakes. Perhaps Zelensky should have considered what would happen if his supply chain was severed BEFORE taking his country to war by refusing to negotiate.

I feel sorry for all the Ukrainians that are going to die as long as he refuses to do so.

By all means he can call it a "defensive retreat" if it makes him feel better, but some of us know what it really is.

A war is usually won or lost by the morale of the troops, so how will the morale be of either side if Ukraine retreats?

Spoken like a true "once we were wariours"! 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Always good to be able to blame other people for his own mistakes. Perhaps Zelensky should have considered what would happen if his supply chain was severed BEFORE taking his country to war by refusing to negotiate.

I feel sorry for all the Ukrainians that are going to die as long as he refuses to do so.

By all means he can call it a "defensive retreat" if it makes him feel better, but some of us know what it really is.

A war is usually won or lost by the morale of the troops, so how will the morale be of either side if Ukraine retreats?

It's too late to add it to that post, but I meant to add that Ukraine got whupped in Avdiivka not too long ago, and if they now have to give up territory so many ukrainians died to keep, it's not going to be making the Ukrainian troops very happy. They've been at the front too long, they are not getting new troops to relieve them, and apparently they are being smashed ( or no one would even be talking about a retreat ). It's not a happy state of affairs for Ukraine at all.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

29 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

. Perhaps Zelensky should have considered what would happen if his supply chain was severed BEFORE taking his country to war by refusing to negotiate.

Negotiating with Putin means giving him everything he demands , also known as surrender.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Talks cheap, etc but yeah happy easter bunny hunting, or  is it flightless birds your gang hunts for? 

I have zero idea of the point you are making.

If you support the Ukrainians, should you not be planning to volunteer to go help out on the front lines, or is it OK for other people to die for your druthers?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Denim said:

Negotiating with Putin means giving him everything he demands , also known as surrender.

As Zelensky didn't even try, we'll never know, will we?

If ( when ) Ukraine ends up negotiating, are they in a stronger or weaker position now than they were before the Russians invaded?

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Denim said:

The negotiations

Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24, 2022; four days later, both sides started talking in Belarus. According to the New York Times, Ukraine demanded Russia be held accountable for war atrocities, withdraw from all captured Ukraine territory, including Crimea, and pay reparations.

That's not a negotiation.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Denim said:

Well, that is the nature of negotiations in general . Two sides putting forward their claims and desires to the other side. If neither side is prepared to alter their stance the negotiations fail. That has been seen throughout history.

Successful negotions require give and take. Unfortunately Putin under estimated Ukraine and his 2 week special operation drags on.

Let's not forget that it was Russia who invaded Ukraine and started military operations. Putin would have done better 

'' negotiating ' before he started shooting.

The actual  negotiations started in Turkey after the initial meeting in Belarus. Apparently an agreement was reached and initialled by both sides. Unfortunately for Ukraine, the West interfered saying that they have Ukraine’s back and will support them to fight Russia for as long as it takes (that is, until they got tired or ran out of ammunition or see that they are going to lose. Zelensky, being a comedian, was too naive and gullible to realise that).

Putin has done very well since the shooting started. Re-elected for another 6 years, Russia’s economy doing much better than many EU countries, oil and gas revenues staying high.

Zelensky on the other hand looks terrible. His country in ruins and getting worse by the day. Top officials being sacked almost on a daily basis and sent to the UK. Ukraine is probably going to lose more territory in the coming months. All thanks to the war mongers.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's too late to add it to that post, but I meant to add that Ukraine got whupped in Avdiivka not too long ago, and if they now have to give up territory so many ukrainians died to keep, it's not going to be making the Ukrainian troops very happy. They've been at the front too long, they are not getting new troops to relieve them, and apparently they are being smashed ( or no one would even be talking about a retreat ). It's not a happy state of affairs for Ukraine at all.

No one likes to die at the end of the war you are losing.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, simple1 said:

In other words "blaming the victim"

The best generals always look to their logistics. No Zelensky, took the US at their word, that they would support him through thick and thin. Zelensky was naive. Something tells me the US are kinda glad not to be throwing my tax dollars away before an election. Biden certainly will not get my vote under any circumstances. I'd vote for Satan before Biden. 

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/31/2024 at 3:27 PM, Pouatchee said:

i just love when someone says, 'we all know what that means', rather than actually putting words to it.

i would like to know what some of YOU know that most of us apparently dont. so please, put words to it.

That's not what I said, but never mind.

Some of us do, and others should wonder if they should even be posting on here.

However, for the easily confused, it's a retreat, PERIOD. Is that the fat lady I hear singing?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

On 3/31/2024 at 8:54 PM, simple1 said:

IMO rather sad commentary. Personally I totally disagree with enabling Putin's aggression. Other NATO members are carrying on with their support of Ukraine as should USA. Withdrawing support of Ukraine by the USA equates to a return of US isolationism, a very negative and destructive worldview.

Given that it looks like Ukraine is out of men, ergo it's out of options, and one hopes NATO isn't going to be insane enough to send NATO boots, what is the point of continuing? F16's are probably not going to stop the Russians  any more than the Leopards caused a breakthrough.

Ukraine can keep sending drones if that is their only option, but they are just going to get Russian ones in return.

Seems a few on here are willing to see Ukraine fight on literally to the last Ukrainian standing.

Are YOU prepared to volunteer for the Ukrainian front line? If not why should other men die for your druthers?

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

On 3/31/2024 at 4:00 PM, simple1 said:

In other words "blaming the victim"

IMO Zelensky is an idiot for believing the west would support him to the end. He's not a victim- the people he sent to the front that died are the victims.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1