‘Living hand to mouth’: Record number of police officers turning to food banks

Social Media

3 hours ago, transam said:

What a stupid post, you have no idea...........:coffee1:

I guess you've no direct experience of how the UK police ignore cases of burglary, the 90% plus stats for unsolved crimes in UK, the no go areas in Midlands cities and the contrast to the super strict enforcement of minor traffic offences.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1797053/justice-system-police-unsolved-crime-rate

But don't let that influence your thoughtless knee jerk post.

Edited by Kinnock
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What like spending on accommodation and stuff like that?

Or perhaps you think the figures quoted in other threads are all directly relatable to the specifics of the report above.

They were more than specific for you last week.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What he did say is ‘It [£100K] is not a huge salary in our area [Godalming] if you have a mortgage to pay’.

It was a politically stupid thing to say but not unexpected on past performance.

True, none the less.

Just goes to show even those on higher salaries can be accused of over stretching themselves, thus finding things difficult.

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Another one trying to dot I's 🤔

Jeremy Hunt, the UK Chancellor, has sparked controversy with his statement that earning £100,000 a year “doesn’t go as far as you might think” for people in his Surrey constituency. Despite criticism for being out of touch, Hunt defended his remarks by emphasizing that people in his area face very high average house prices. He clarified that when you consider mortgage payments, childcare costs, and taxes, even a salary that sounds substantial doesn’t stretch as far as it might seem. The median salary for a full-time worker last year was £34,963, while in Surrey, it stands at £42,00012.

Hunt’s comments have ignited debate about the cost of living and the challenges faced by those on higher salaries. While some argue that £100,000 should be sufficient, others recognize the financial pressures caused by housing expenses and other costs. As the UK navigates economic recovery, Hunt has also hinted at further tax cuts, welfare reforms, and efforts to get more claimants back into work. He reaffirmed the commitment to the pensions “triple-lock” policy in the Conservative party manifesto2.

In summary, Hunt’s assertion that £100,000 doesn’t go far has sparked discussions about income, expenses, and the realities faced by different segments of the population.

Chat
  • What are the average house prices in Surrey?
  • How does this compare to other regions?
  • Is there a solution proposed for these challenges?

Exactly. Glad to see you've changed your stance.

Reading what he actually said us more accurate than reading what you said.

Thanks for proving yourself wrong. 

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

I guess you've no direct experience of how the UK police ignore cases of burglary, the 90% plus stats for unsolved crimes in UK, the no go areas in Midlands cities and the contrast to the super strict enforcement of minor traffic offences.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1797053/justice-system-police-unsolved-crime-rate

Neither do I have experience of makebelief. Actually I did watch Alice in Wonderland when I was a kid.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Not enough boots on the ground....?   😉

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, impulse said:

Honest question, because I don't know expenses and prices the UK that well... 

Given a recommended 30-35% maximum spend on housing and current interest rates, how may square feet can you afford to buy on that salary, let's say 41K?  I'd venture to say it's probably zilch at 21K.  In fact, can you even afford rent at 21K, without cutting into food and other non-discretionary expenses?

Share a house

5 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

True, none the less.

Just goes to show even those on higher salaries can be accused of over stretching themselves, thus finding things difficult.

The only thing it demonstrates is the sense of entitlement exhibited by a high earner and how out of touch Hunt is with the reality of most people’s financial circumstances.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Different people, different circumstances.

No. It's all related to salary and expenditure.

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Maybe we need some recently surveyed parent to clinch the argument.

I know a few police who are parents. Not sure if they were surveyed.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The only thing it demonstrates is the sense of entitlement exhibited by a high earner and how out of touch Hunt is with the reality of most people’s financial circumstances.

Interesting. 

So, you sympathise with police officers,  salary unspecified, who use  food banks but those on a higher salary have a sense of entitlement.

I wonder what side of the divide a police officer on a 100k salary, that uses food banks, lays.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

Interesting. 

So, you sympathise with police officers,  salary unspecified, who uses a food bank but those on a higher salary have a sense of entitlement.

I wonder what side of the divide a police officer on a 100k salary, that uses food banks, lays.

If you know of such an officer post the details and we’ll discuss further.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The police officers being referred to in the OP are all junior recruits, I doubt very much they are at all involved in the allocation of police resources.

Starting salaries were mentioned.

The rank, length of service and salary levels of the 6000 surveyed were not.

10 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Starting salaries were mentioned.

The rank, length of service and salary levels of the 6000 surveyed were not.

Perhaps this evaded you:

”Worried officers have proposed setting up food banks for police recruits, The Independent can reveal, as one in 10 admit to relying on handouts.”

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

You must spend your life talking to the police, or not.

You must be either a criminal or you are exaggerating.

To come up with that reply, you must have the same brain power as most police!

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You inserted an imaginary police officer into the discussion, and you say I’m losing my touch?

If you can confirm the salaries of all 6000 police officers surveyed, we can then discuss your accusation.

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Perhaps this evaded you:

”Worried officers have proposed setting up food banks for police recruits, The Independent can reveal, as one in 10 admit to relying on handouts.”

Indeed. However, please link to the salaries of those surveyed and those that admitted to using food bank. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Why?

The article clearly states the salary of recruits, of which  one in 10 admit to relying on handouts.

The article further states:

Worried officers have floated the idea of establishing food banks specifically tailored for police recruits, underscoring the severity of the situation.

So the subject is police recruits, known salary, relying on handouts to the point were officers have considered setting up dedicated food banks for police recruits.

While I understand your pedantry has the better of you, it is a mistake on your part to believe it has the better of anyone else.

No. It says:

"A survey of over 6,000 serving officers revealed that one in five officers is forced to skip meals to cope with financial strains, with nearly 10 percent resorting to food banks in the past year alone."

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

No. It says:

"A survey of over 6,000 serving officers revealed that one in five officers is forced to skip meals to cope with financial strains, with nearly 10 percent resorting to food banks in the past year alone."

And this, is this a quote from the article?

“Worried officers have proposed setting up food banks for police recruits, The Independent can reveal, as one in 10 admit to relying on handouts.”

Yes or no?

How about this:

“Worried officers have floated the idea of establishing food banks specifically tailored for police recruits, underscoring the severity of the situation.”

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Why?

The article clearly states the salary of recruits, of which  one in 10 admit to relying on handouts.

The article further states:

Worried officers have floated the idea of establishing food banks specifically tailored for police recruits, underscoring the severity of the situation.

So the subject is police recruits, known salary, relying on handouts to the point were officers have considered setting up dedicated food banks for police recruits.

While I understand your pedantry has the better of you, it is a mistake on your part to believe it has the better of anyone else.

Load of nonsense. As pointed out you can eat on a minimal budget. How much is a loaf of bread and tinned tuna? How much is peanut butter? A block of cheese?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

You don't know me so can't possibly justify that comment. Same goes for the comment about "most" police

Likewise, You don't know me either so justify your comment! "most police" being the bobby on the beat. 

Edited by CharlieKo