Cost for electric bike

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

We have an E-motorcycle, and I'd recommend the Deco brand to anyone.  1000w motor w/decent lithium (LFP) battery, with prices starting under 30k baht.   I really wouldn't bother with anything else, with less specs.

We've had ours SUSU model, for 2.5 years, and love it.  Cost wise for ours, largest model & battery is <20 baht, full charge, at a guess.  3.6kWh battery X 5 baht.  That would get me 75-90kms.  That's a 3000w motor & 72v50Ah battery.  Newer version is bit better battery and safer LFP chemistry.

Quality battery & charger, and personally wouldn't worry about any fire risk.

image.png.a1a1c67d412d6e4436c98c7c5cbaf06e.png

can they all be registered and taxed

6 hours ago, still kicking said:

It might cost losing your house if the battery explodes during charging.

You are right.

But unfortunately, lots of green battery-whatever users realize this only when it's too late. Like: Why did nobody tell me? ...

• Like 1
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

Yes, and one of the few brands that can.  The dealer did all that for us.  They have a fairly decent dealer network.  Probably more than shown on map, as having one locally now, and not on the map.

image.png.b4e993a5a2f396ccee41d5a605f41b01.png

If you don't need range or top end speed, E-MB is the way to go IMHO.  Really is fun to drive.  I drive ours daily when weather is cooperating, not brutally hot or raining.   Had a Honda Wave 125i, and last 5 yrs of owning, I drove to the petrol station to top up fuel & air in the tires, and to the dealer to get oil changed & chain adjustment.   

Sold that as never used, and bought the DECO and wife is like ... 

... W T F, you nuts ... but we both drive it when we can.

If going to have a passenger with you most times, or a bit out of town, I'd get one of the 2000w motor versions, w/larger battery.   

The 1000w motor models have removable battery for condo/apartment charging, hopefully on the balcony, out of sun, or in fire proof battery bag.   Ours gets charged in the carport, not problems.

The AT***, instant torque is great, comfy, quiet, smooth.

*** has selector button on handlebar ... 1-2-3, for changing juice to motor for higher speeds  Ours being their largest, will do 90kph, per promo, and I've done 87kph, so that's accurate.  Does a bit less range than promo, but more range than manual, that's strange.

There's a couple other AN members that have DECO scooters, and enjoy them.  One does regret not getting a 2000w vs 1000w, for a bit more range.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You are right.

But unfortunately, lots of green battery-whatever users realize this only when it's too late. Like: Why did nobody tell me? ...

You get what you pay for, and a lot of those fires are down to 'user error'  

#1 avoid charging indoors

#2 don't leave unattended

#3 if cheap, use fireproof battery bag

The uncommon common sense ... doing research.  Does someone really have to tell you everything in like.  Daddy Google will hold your hand.

Holy Buddha, last time I checked, we were all adults on the forum, or suppose to be.

Edited by KhunLA

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Excellent quality petrol motorcycles are cheap here to buy and run and will last for a long time plus have good re-sale value, I wouldn't bother with electric

Excellent quality electric motorcycles are cheaper here to buy ... if you don't need the range or top end speed.

I personally would never buy another petrol vehicle, cost more to operate & maintain, and not as enjoyable to ride ... IMHO

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Excellent quality electric motorcycles are cheaper here to buy ... if you don't need the range or top end speed.

I personally would never buy another petrol vehicle, cost more to operate & maintain, and not as enjoyable to ride ... IMHO

There are lots of people around who can judge the quality of petrol vehicles. Many of us used them for decades.

There are few people who know what makes an electric vehicle good. There are lots of different battery technologies, and i.e. a lithium battery is not like another lithium battery, there are lots of different technologies. Who knows the difference and the pro and cons? As far as I know few people.

BEV are something new and few people know much about them. And many people, including people who use them, know a lot less than they should know.

Personally, I had cars in my home country, and several motorcycles in Thailand, and I have no desire at all to change something electric (and I am reasonably well informed about electric, electronic, batteries, etc.). 

• Love It 1

@KhunLA - thanks for the first-hand feedback and advice on this thread.

I don't have much experience with batteries (other than laptops, phones & a drone) - but might be looking at similar transport options in the next year or so. Comments like yours all go into the knowledge bank.

I do have a question about the charging precautions that you mentioned. Risks with cheaper batteries are obvious, but what about the charger itself? Are these factory-supplied by Deco along with the bike, or is it something you need to shop around for separately? I can't remember where I saw it, but for mobile devices I've been advised to spend a bit more & use only those chargers that have built-in voltage sensing & over-charge protection. Do the Deco chargers (if they are available) have this feature?

How long do you leave it on charge; overnight trickle & rapid recharge for a top-up?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AverageAussie said:

@KhunLA - thanks for the first-hand feedback and advice on this thread.

I don't have much experience with batteries (other than laptops, phones & a drone) - but might be looking at similar transport options in the next year or so. Comments like yours all go into the knowledge bank.

I do have a question about the charging precautions that you mentioned. Risks with cheaper batteries are obvious, but what about the charger itself? Are these factory-supplied by Deco along with the bike, or is it something you need to shop around for separately? I can't remember where I saw it, but for mobile devices I've been advised to spend a bit more & use only those chargers that have built-in voltage sensing & over-charge protection. Do the Deco chargers (if they are available) have this feature?

How long do you leave it on charge; overnight trickle & rapid recharge for a top-up?

Charger came with the motorcycle, and branded DECO.  Seems decent quality, though can't say I ever peeked at the specs.  

3.6kWh battery charges up pretty fast, and usually less than 2 hrs (30-100%).  I never go below 30%, though ours doesn't have a % gauge, just idiot bars.   When it starts flickering from 3 to 2 bars while driving, then we plug in.  At rest it will stay at 3 bars at that point.   

Since ours is a bit older, newer battery is LFP, and doesn't mind being topped up to 100% daily, if wanting.  Ours prefers, like phones, not to be topped up to 100% all the time, although I do, but if using daily, that 4-5 days of riding, as I don't really go that far, since the park and surf, where dog & myself go in the AM is close to home.

I haven't noticed any degradation of the battery, over 2.5 yrs, though probably a bit has taken place, but nothing noticeable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

We've had ours SUSU model, for 2.5 years, and love it.

The linked graphic explains a question I had about the sign on their shop in Kanchanaburi that said 18,000 and some Thai script.  I was wondering if that was the starting price or a discount.  They had some great looking e-scooters, which I'm a big fan of, having bought and used several here in China and in Bangkok.  I passed the K-Buri shop after closing hours so I didn't get to shop.

I'm wondering if a 1000 watt motor would be adequate for grocery getting around town.  They seem to get pretty spendy above the 1000 watt motor.  I'd never want to be tempted to take it on a road trip because I'm a skeerdy cat.  Just around town (If I do decide to retire to LOS).  Also, if the lower end 1000 watters are licensable...

Edit:  Here in China, I have a 750 watt NIU U-Sport (love it), which is perfectly adequate for the dedicated bike lanes.  I'm wondering about real world city traffic with 1000 watts.

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, AverageAussie said:

Chargers have a couple of challenges.

Good chargers monitor in detail voltages, current and temperature. If something is questionable, then they will stop charging and maybe warn the user about a problem.

Independent of that chargers can also be a risk for the user if the main voltage is not sufficiently isolated from the low voltage.

This YouTuber has lots of videos about USD chargers. The principle is the same.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

That why people research & ask questions on forums. 

Hopefully to get answers from experienced people, instead of people who watch anti EV vids on YT, and are now experts ... warning of pending doom, and the house burning down if owning an EV.

Everything is all new to everyone at some point, but some people actually researched, bought in, and are experienced.  Others not so much, but happy to give advice, when they probably shouldn't.

After the advice is given, still up to the one posing the query to do a bit of due diligence, unless trusting the source of advice.   Since we're all strangers of a forum, then go with ... "trust & verify" to be safe.

I feel very confident in the advice I give ...

... just don't ask me for relationship advice, as it will come with a disclaimer; 'married 4 times' along with 2 failed live in chickies ... F'me :cheesy:

But it was all fun ... :coffee1:

It is not always necessary to experience things firsthand to know about them.

I.e. I don't need to have my house burned down to appreciate fire resistant materials, smoke sensors, etc.

The problem with BEVs is that some people promote them, and they ignore, or play down, possible problems.

And others hate them or only warn about the dangers.

It seems mostly there are those extremes, there is little information from people who (want to) see the pros and cons.

For someone who is not much into technology both sides might be able to convince him/her that EVs are just great, or that they are high risk.

And asking someone who owns a BEV or two is also not sufficient. Only because they owned 3 vehicles which didn't burn down doesn't mean that will never happen.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The 18k seems to be the govt incentive, if comparing price of the model, with the price in the promo photo.

image.png.eb1376b0175ab656ab21c887c9600839.png

Ours cost mid between that 2.5 yrs ago, but was same price for a couple years.  So now 10k cheaper than ours, with a better battery.

image.png.f050bd3c66e9279970a6bdcb756a07aa.png

strong.png.eaed24d6cb741477628644460f261436.png

That convinced me. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Chargers have a couple of challenges.

Good chargers monitor in detail voltages, current and temperature. If something is questionable, then they will stop charging and maybe warn the user about a problem.

Independent of that chargers can also be a risk for the user if the main voltage is not sufficiently isolated from the low voltage.

Nothing even close to a DECO Motorcycle battery charger ... :cheesy:

My little charger for my ebike is half the size of the DECO charger :coffee1:

image.png.f97113354ddbb10b250d4032b17a39d7.png

image.png.30bcd4ad4ab1322e979b1e6d43383048.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

LOL at the label on the first unit.

English text:: Made in Vetnam 

Russian text: Made in China :cheesy:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AverageAussie said:

LOL at the label on the first unit.

English text:: Made in Vetnam 

Russian text: Made in China :cheesy:

Yep ... buy crap, get crap :coffee1:

Where's the motorcycle plug ... 

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It is not always necessary to experience things firsthand to know about them.

I.e. I don't need to have my house burned down to appreciate fire resistant materials, smoke sensors, etc.

The problem with BEVs is that some people promote them, and they ignore, or play down, possible problems.

And others hate them or only warn about the dangers.

It seems mostly there are those extremes, there is little information from people who (want to) see the pros and cons.

For someone who is not much into technology both sides might be able to convince him/her that EVs are just great, or that they are high risk.

And asking someone who owns a BEV or two is also not sufficient. Only because they owned 3 vehicles which didn't burn down doesn't mean that will never happen.

We know what extreme you are ...

... your house will burn down

... your phone charger might not work on you motorcycle

THANKS ... very helpful

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

strong.png.eaed24d6cb741477628644460f261436.png

That convinced me. 

Actually the 'front basket' was a deciding factor, as the dog needs to sit somewhere.  Although no longer needs the top basket, as trained not to jump out now.  Harley mode optional :cheesy:

• Like 1

Company in bangkok called thomas ev makes some amazing looking bikes. Not sure if they're still around. 

Honda do some nice ones but small motors/speed. I think to compete with bicycle rather than moped.

14 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

Company in bangkok called thomas ev makes some amazing looking bikes. Not sure if they're still around. 

Honda do some nice ones but small motors/speed. I think to compete with bicycle rather than moped.

Saw Thomas's line up way back when, and nice looking.   But pricy.  Now their entry level models are 20k baht more (no govt incentive mentioned) than DECO's, and spec'd about the same.

image.png.ccf806d9b1bfe48909398288da554697.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, steve187 said:

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, and one of the few brands that can.  The dealer did all that for us.

Hi @KhunLA can you please tell something about insurance for the bike?

Is a Motorcycle insurance Type 1 possible? Can you say anything about the price for it? Thank You

Edited by 10000Baht

JMO it all depends on what you want to do with an electric bike/trike/4 wheel/scooter or motorbike.

Will you use it as a motorbike? Or like me at 79, just use it as a trike or small 4 wheel for getting to the local shops and getting around etc.  Speed, range, battery life etc all come into the equation, along with can you tax and insure it.

Price it not so important compared to use.

I am looking at a couple of trikes, small 4 wheelers that have a windscreen and a roof to keep the sun and most of the rain off me, and they cost 35 to 50k thb. What I would need is an 80 to 100 km range, a top speed of maybe 50 kph and something fairly simple. 2 seats max and perhaps my wife will bike jack it for shopping. The bad news is that there is no a/c.

• Like 1