Currently impossible to order on Tops Online since the recent upgrade

Jingthing

14 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That happened on my first order (Prime member) and did not catch it as checkout totally changed (not improved).  Seems you have no choice of times anymore and they determine how it is shipped by the time of day (a noontime order was sent express within an hour).

I was able to pick an hours time window for Standard delivery for tomorrow, but it took some doing to get there...

When I first got to that point in the Checkout process, it also seemed like the only choice on offer was an immediate delivery option. But I believe there was another less than obvious link in that same section that produced the option to pick the normal time windows for standard delivery.

Ten minutes ago their rep apologised for my not being able to sign in and for me being sent repeated email links to "Click for verification", told me they were having problems and it would take "three to five days to fix".

Having said that, I have now been able to sign in using my phone number and place an order.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

Posted (edited)

Update.

Now I'm at the point of being able to add, delete, and place an order with one remaining glitch.

To get to this point I needed to use the browser version on my phone not my usual Android app.

The trick was turn on location. 

Using opera mini load the browser version switch to English and logon with phone otp.

Then go to address area.

Edit current address record by moving the location pin a bit and saving. 

Finally able to confirm delivery address to get to final order placement.

Before that was starting to get an error message saying they couldn't find a local store to link.

So I took the hint to play around with the location in the address record.

The glitch.

If you're not on prime there is free delivery for orders over 1000 but actually 900 will do.

Starting an order over 1000 they were adding 100.

So I called customer service and was told the free delivery policy has not changed but the software is still not stable but will be fixed by Saturday. So by Saturday the free delivery should be back in effect.

Edited by Jingthing

Sorry user error on that 100 baht delivery issue.

That was for express delivery. I just forgot to select a free delivery time.

So that still works for free delivery for orders over 900.

So I had it all ready to go but when I clicked the final order placing button nothing happened and no error message either.

Turns out that was related to a One Card linkage process that I hadn't done yet.

So I just turned that off for now, and the order went though.

Of course who knows if they will actually process the order as usual as customer service didn't seem to be encouraging anyone to even try to place orders before Saturday. 

About 1 hour ago, they told me everything should be working fine by now. Well, it doesn't for me. I am still unable to get Express Delivery as an option (yes, also a Prime Member). What a f´up. Whoever approved that <deleted> from being Beta to go live should be fired. Shame that this won´t happen.

I am so fed up with them (not only based not this f-up) that I have now asked them to delete my account. Probably the reply will be: "Computer says No!"

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DUS said:

I am so fed up with them (not only based not this f-up) that I have now asked them to delete my account. Probably the reply will be: "Computer says No!"

If you mean the Prime membership believe you can do that with account access.  But perhaps turn up the AC and wait a few days - maybe there actually will be an improvement.  Maybe.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Central Group is one of the largest retailers in Thailand, with far more than just Tops in their portfolio.

One might think / expect that they'd have the resources and technical expertise to better handle the technology platforms that are key to their online retailing presence. Including like the common sense issue that one member mentioned above, actually internally testing such platform changes before going live with them.

But over a long period of time, they've consistently shown that they can't put one foot in front of the other without proverbially falling down.  😞

Among all the other issues recited above, just as examples:

--Still haven't managed to solve their consistent problem with their online store showing items available and in stock, whereas when one's order is processed, they don't actually have what you ordered. And don't give you any opportunity to change your order or make substitutions prior to delivery.

--Simple UI things like when you're making changes to your Favorites list, every time you do, instead of taking you back to where you were on the page, their UI automatically takes you back to the very top of the back, requiring you to scroll down every time to get back to where you were (on a system that is VERY slow for scrolling).

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2024 at 1:54 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

rep apologised for my not being able to sign in and for me being sent repeated email links to "Click for verification", told me they were having problems and it would take "three to five days to fix".

In my case, still waiting. Eventually I managed to get into the site today, but only by using Chrome which is not my choice of browser. And by entering multiple verification codes. I was happy with Tops for 4 years but now want something less dreadful.

Has anyone had success with alternatives to Tops, given the annoyance factor here?

1 minute ago, isaanistical said:

In my case, still waiting. Eventually I managed to get into the site today, but only by using Chrome which is not my choice of browser. And by entering multiple verification codes. I was happy with Tops for 4 years but now want something less dreadful.

Has anyone had success with alternatives to Tops, given the annoyance factor here?

Lotuss is valid alternative with a lot more items for sale - but they do not have a list area or easy mark for next time order (but search seems good).  They now seem to have much better stock control than when Tesco however and offer a 3 hour delivery service which is often free.

• Like 1

It seems to be so common that they attempt to upgrade a website and it ends up being worse than it was prior to the upgrade. What is that all about? Is that about the refusal to spend more than $50 to hire an expert? Is that about a level of ignorance about how website technology works?

What is that all about? I see that so often. 

31 minutes ago, isaanistical said:
On 4/1/2024 at 8:54 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

rep apologised for my not being able to sign in and for me being sent repeated email links to "Click for verification", told me they were having problems and it would take "three to five days to fix".

Try signing in using the phone number and OTP option, I get in immediately without using Chrome and the site accepts orders and delivers them as per normal.  You just have to get used to the slightly different layout of the site but it only takes one order to get over the annoyance.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Try signing in using the phone number and OTP option, I get in immediately and the site accepts orders and delivers them as per normal.  You just have to get used to the slightly different layout of the site but it only takes one order to get over the annoyance.

In my opinion the MY LIST available previously was a major factor for making and placing orders - it has not been returned to more than a shadow of before (handful of products with no easy update).  

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It seems to be so common that they attempt to upgrade a website and it ends up being worse than it was prior to the upgrade. What is that all about? Is that about the refusal to spend more than $50 to hire an expert? Is that about a level of ignorance about how website technology works?

What is that all about? I see that so often. 

Me too, over nearly 30 years. This is not thai-bashing, but Thais are utterly useless with websites.

I'm not an expert here, just a serial victim, but I suspect much of the problem lies with the thai-language versions and their translations. I am told the Thai versions don't all have the same level of incompetence built in.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Lotuss is valid alternative with a lot more items for sale

Interesting. I have recently shopped a couple of times at 'Tesco' for the first time since the name change and been surprised it's cheaper on numerous items than Big C or Tops, so I may give them a go.

17 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

In my opinion the MY LIST available previously was a major factor for making and placing orders - it has not been returned to more than a shadow of before (handful of products with no easy update).  

My List is still there as in pre-update times.

Why not get some farangs to design your systems Thailand. They could teach your know-nothing coders how to set ups an interactive website that actually works. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Lotuss is valid alternative with a lot more items for sale - but they do not have a list area or easy mark for next time order (but search seems good).  They now seem to have much better stock control than when Tesco however and offer a 3 hour delivery service which is often free.

I've been using LotusS online more lately, usually for non-food household items, as they typically just don't have anywhere near the same availability of various imported food items as Tops.

There also was a long period of time after the Tesco to LotusS conversion where their website payments system simply would not accept any of my U.S. bank cards.... But they seem to have improved that lately, and I now find I'm able to use them for online purchases via LotusS these days.

As for Tops Online, the last time I tried them a few days ago, their ability to save items as "Favorites"  via the little "heart" icon on the product pages was still broken. And of course, in their recent tech overhaul, they ended up erasing all of the long list of "Favorites" that I previously had stored in my account.

Tesco used to have a kind of Favorites capability where items that you had previously ordered got saved to a list for a period of time in your account. But that disappeared with the conversion to LotusS, and they still haven't done anything to restore that functionality up till now.

So as a workaround, I ended up saving as browser bookmarks folder a list of the various things I frequently order from LotusS, and I find myself going back into my LotusS online history of past orders to remind myself what I might want/need for an upcoming order.

• Like 1

I am still struggling with them. The website is ridiculously slow to load pages, my favorites list has been decimated and ever since the relaunch the express delivery is not available to me (even though I pay for their "Prime" service).

Will have a look at Lotus as suggested above.

Re LotusS: Looking at their registration page, they are asking for "Thai alphabet" and Thai ID only?

Edit: Ah, seems just for that "membership program" which isn´t required to order from them. Just placed a trial order with them. Let´s see how it works.

Edited by DUS