Travel insurance

Just looking at travel insurance for my upcoming trip later 

Obviously in all my academic hindsight I wouldn't be without it , 

But do I really need half this stuff nowadays....."legal expenses" "personal liability etc

I have only tried to claim ONCE in the last 25 years and they made it that difficult I gave up.

Broke my front tooth slipping over in Bangkok, they wanted a detailed report from the dentist , itemised receipt and wait for it....sent me out a 15 page claim form which I must print 3 times and send 3 different copies to different email addresses.

I gave up.

But in all my academic qualifications particularly in philosophy I have decided to spend over 3 hours today on Risk management and ratio and in calculating a ....Basic cover without .....yes without lost  luggage or cancellations policy included

Another thing I must weigh up in my risk assessment is the ability to contact the emergency travel centre at all hours ,after awhile of calling  I started to get the staffs voice and name down to pat

I did remember back in 2008 buying a cheap policy only to call the emergency number for no particular reason only to find it was staffed in day time Phillipines hours 

I like to call the number at different times to see if they indeed are a "emergency" number as they claim 

In other words "Dear chaps "" if I may qoute  the great movie great escape, and other War quotes please do ! 

I only require emergency Medical coverage !!!!!!! Thankyou!!! And ...I will get rid of the "bells & whistles" which we all know in reality we will not get 

So yes travel insurance is necessary but not the bells ,whistles and anything else !

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Just looking at travel insurance for my upcoming trip later 

Obviously in all my academic hindsight I wouldn't be without it , 

But do I really need half this stuff nowadays....."legal expenses" "personal liability etc

I have only tried to claim ONCE in the last 25 years and they made it that difficult I gave up.

Broke my front tooth slipping over in Bangkok, they wanted a detailed report from the dentist , itemised receipt and wait for it....sent me out a 15 page claim form which I must print 3 times and send 3 different copies to different email addresses.

I gave up.

But in all my academic qualifications particularly in philosophy I have decided to spend over 3 hours today on Risk management and ratio and in calculating a ....Basic cover without .....yes without lost  luggage or cancellations policy included

Another thing I must weigh up in my risk assessment is the ability to contact the emergency travel centre at all hours ,after awhile of calling  I started to get the staffs voice and name down to pat

I did remember back in 2008 buying a cheap policy only to call the emergency number for no particular reason only to find it was staffed in day time Phillipines hours 

I like to call the number at different times to see if they indeed are a "emergency" number as they claim 

In other words "Dear chaps "" if I may qoute  the great movie great escape, and other War quotes please do ! 

I only require emergency Medical coverage !!!!!!! Thankyou!!! And ...I will get rid of the "bells & whistles" which we all know in reality we will not get 

So yes travel insurance is necessary but not the bells ,whistles and anything else !

Look at Tick Insurance. Basic is very cheap.

2 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Yes 

I noticed their claim of runner up  2023 Canstar award of the year !

I must say after reading the Psychometrics of Risk management recently I am now studying or should I say "researching" the miniscule details.

I have asked them to send me proof of how far back they were in "runner up" of the 2023  Canstar award , 

Yes back around late 90's early 2000's was company that did Medical cover only (from UK) and absolutely nothing else was included

Unforunately they stopped trading

Been looking for similar ever since

18 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Just done a quote for 6 months my intended next trip

It was priced in USD but works out at just £296

Thats aged 64

As you say on the budget cover it chops out a lot of the stuff we "normally" never need (I havent in 32 years) but has unlimited medical expenses the all important element

That premiun is virtually half of what I've been quoted to date

Good work Dolf

(Edited is that AUD Dolf or USD   ??   I ask because right at bottom there is a reference to Australia)

Edited by Chivas

One major issue / clause with travel insurance is...

Will they continue to pay for treatment / an ailment once back in your country of residence. 

I know someone who was just injured - their travel insurance covered their medical costs while over-seas. 

They also needed an operation (torn ligament) and opted to have that back in Bangkok.

If they'd have had the operation while overseas their insurance would have paid for it  (with pre-authorisation), or paid for their return home (earlier).

Upon return to Bangkok, the travel insurance would not cover the cost of the operation - as they said the person was back in his country of residence and his local insurance must pick up the tab. 

I was of the impression that the travel insurance would cover the continued cost of treatment from an injury occurred while overseas (during the period of cover).

So... Advice: Ensure exactly what is and isn't covered as insurance companies are notoriously tricky about what information they give up. 

I read my friends policy and there is no clear mention that continued cover is stopped once the injured party is repatriated.

4 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Thats aged 64

As you say on the budget cover it chops out a lot of the stuff we "normally" never need (I havent in 32 years) but has unlimited medical expenses the all important element

That premiun is virtually half of what I've been quoted to date

Good work Dolf

60 bucks for 4 weeks. Just hospital cover. All I need. 

Posted (edited)

Now I must say my dear chaps....check your benefits of Credit cards too ,some do provide free travel insurance...although one must do their "due diligence" in researching and I say researching instead of looking over ..... researching that policy beforehand.

I am just trying to work out how one can possibly convertt the policy details from text to voice so I can listen to the policy intricacies whilst I'm doing my job as a hospital cleaner mopping the hospital stairs wells.

Many have asked me "George ,what music are you listening to in your ear buds , they are astounded when I tell them it's a text to talk in insurance policies 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:

Now I must say my dear chaps....check your benefits of Credit cards too ,some do provide free travel insurance...although one must do their "due diligence" in researching and I say researching instead of looking over ..... researching that policy beforehand.

I am just trying to work out how one can possibly concert the policy details from text to voice so I can listen to the policy intricacies whilst mopping the hospital stairs wells 

Go pay 60 and you are good to go

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Go pay 60 and you are good to go

That sounds too easy and rushed  my dear Watson 

One must do their due diligence and study several policies to see the fine print then  do risk assessments and  management then to assess the ones remaining,it could take weeks or even months , I may have to delay my trip if that's the case 

I'm still waiting for my email back from Tick to see how far "Runner up award "  in 2023 they actually were 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

One major issue / clause with travel insurance is...

Will they continue to pay for treatment / an ailment once back in your country of residence. 

I know someone who was just injured - their travel insurance covered their medical costs while over-seas. 

They also needed an operation (torn ligament) and opted to have that back in Bangkok.

If they'd have had the operation while overseas their insurance would have paid for it  (with pre-authorisation), or paid for their return home (earlier).

Upon return to Bangkok, the travel insurance would not cover the cost of the operation - as they said the person was back in his country of residence and his local insurance must pick up the tab. 

I was of the impression that the travel insurance would cover the continued cost of treatment from an injury occurred while overseas (during the period of cover).

So... Advice: Ensure exactly what is and isn't covered as insurance companies are notoriously tricky about what information they give up. 

I read my friends policy and there is no clear mention that continued cover is stopped once the injured party is repatriated.

That's the case of most if not all travel insurances. You are required to nominate a country of residence to be repatriated to. If the insurer estimates that it will cost them more to keep you in the country of claim, they'll dump you in your country of residence and is your problem from there on.

2 minutes ago, gearbox said:

That's the case of most if not all travel insurances. You are required to nominate a country of residence to be repatriated to. If the insurer estimates that it will cost them more to keep you in the country of claim, they'll dump you in your country of residence and is your problem from there on.

Yup... thats pretty much the case.... 

Although my friend is quite detailed, so he was surprised at this and commented that it was not so clear.

It was a surprise to me too..... I have seen policies that cover treatment upon return (and will look out for such policies myself in future).

Edited by richard_smith237

20 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Aud

Christ that makes it even cheaper

I assume ( the mother of all f*** ups) that cover is open to all foreign nationals ??

41 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes 

I noticed their claim of runner up  2023 Canstar award of the year !

I must say after reading the Psychometrics of Risk management recently I am now studying or should I say "researching" the miniscule details.

I have asked them to send me proof of how far back they were in "runner up" of the 2023  Canstar award , 

Read the reviews on Google maps and the fine print.

12 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

That sounds too easy and rushed  my dear Watson 

One must do their due diligence and study several policies to see the fine print then  do risk assessments and  management then to assess the ones remaining,it could take weeks or even months , I:cheesy: may have to delay my trip if that's the case 

I'm still waiting for my email back from Tick to see how far "Runner up award "  in 2023 they actually were 

Runner up is 2nd :cheesy:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes very true .

They actually can TELL you I believe to GO back to your home country to seek treatment,  but we may need a travel insurance expert to comment on this.

And I may I dare ask....do we have  travel insurance academics on this forum,those who are considered "experts" in travel insurance 

Edited by georgegeorgia

1 minute ago, Chivas said:

Christ that makes it even cheaper

I assume ( the mother of all f*** ups) that cover is open to all foreign nationals ??

Without looking at it I assume that it requires to be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia living in Australia, and your trip originates and ends from/in Australia. There are no Australian policies AFAIK without requiring the above. The only only one I could find is the Bankwest credit card insurance which doesn't mention "usually living in Australia"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gearbox said:

Without looking at it I assume that it requires to be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia living in Australia, and your trip originates and ends from/in Australia. There are no Australian policies AFAIK without requiring the above. The only only one I could find is the Bankwest credit card insurance which doesn't mention "usually living in Australia"

Fair play thought it was too good to be true

For Australians, I like the Bankwest Platinum card travel insurance, as it has no requirements i.e. no prepurchase of travel or whatever, is covered by a good company being Covermore, no annual fee, no charge for overseas purchases. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

Posted (edited)

What about the Mastercard (priceless)  , most of us have that , I do believe they have some kind of travel insurance free although I'm unsure of their policies.

One must study the fine print, 

All policies seem to DIFFER on riding or being a pillion passenger on motorbikes particularly us in our fine wisdom who catch motorbike taxis 

One must according to policy make sure it's a certain engine size ,that the driver is licensed and alcohol free ,you were wearing a helmet ,and I believe in some policies YOU the passenger was alcohol free ,only then will you be successful in your claim should there be a accident.

Can you imagine the "drama" in trying to claim medical expenses after falling off a motorcycle taxi 

Edited by georgegeorgia

3 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

What about the Mastercard (priceless)  , most of us have that , I do believe they have some kind of travel insurance free although I'm unsure of their policies.

One must study the fine print, 

All policies seem to DIFFER on riding or being a pillion passenger on motorbikes particularly us in our fine wisdom who catch motorbike taxis 

One must according to policy make sure it's a certain engine size ,that the driver is licensed and alcohol free ,you were wearing a helmet ,and I believe in some policies YOU the passenger was alcohol free ,only then will you be successful in your claim should there be a accident.

Can you imagine the "drama" in trying to claim medical expenses after falling off a motorcycle taxi 

Make a decision will you

17 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes very true .

They actually can TELL you I believe to GO back to your home country to seek treatment,  but we may need a travel insurance expert to comment on this.

And I may I dare ask....do we have  travel insurance academics on this forum,those who are considered "experts" in travel insurance 

It is not that difficult....read the product disclosure statement end to end. It is usually around 70-80 pages. You need to disclose pre-existing conditions, and don't get too drunk and leave evidence.... usually claims are denied for alcohol level higher than 0.19

There are tons of specific exclusions like trekking above height of 6000m and other potentially dangerous activities, but there are insurers which may cover these with higher premiums. Also obviously don't travel where the government tells you not to, your claim will be denied.

I went through a number of policies to settle on the Bankwest credit card travel insurance. Their wording don't mention requirement to reside in Australia, as I'm most of the time outside. It covers 6 months without any spending on travel required.

The tricky thing is all Aussie insurances require that you need to have a return ticket to Australia. If the return date is not clear, one can work around with booking a flight with frequent flyer points, these can be cancelled up to 24 hours before the flight with little penalties.

59 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Be careful with free travel insurance from credit card companies. Check the small print. Years ago I had a card that offered free travel insurance but only covered you when you were actually travelling, not when you were at your destination. 

• Haha 2

Looking at the CanStar website for  Travel Insurance awards from November 2023, and selecting Thailand as the destination with age 18-69, Tick Top was 6th and Tick Standard was 8th out of 127. However CanStar make money from "their sponsors", (direct contributions, Web clicks etc) very much like Which in the UK. So unless you contribute as a sponsor you might not get a mention!

Just spent the last 4 weeks in AUS, paid 1,221 THB via Thai Airways (Allianz Thailand), covers flight delay / baggage loss and delay, 2Mil for Death, 2.5Mil for foreign soil medical as well as 300k for any Thailand based medical followup, 2.5Mil for emergency evacuation or 2Mil for remains repatriation amongst others. No pre-medical conditions declared. 

20 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I am just trying to work out how one can possibly convertt the policy details from text to voice so I can listen to the policy intricacies whilst I'm doing my job

You're trying to work out how to do it ... "so I can listen to the policy intricacies", yet...

20 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Many have asked me "George ,what music are you listening to in your ear buds , they are astounded when I tell them it's a text to talk in insurance policies 

"...they are astounded when I tell them it's a text to talk in insurance policies".

Make up your mind, how can you be listening to it if you haven't worked out how to do it?

20 hours ago, Dolf said:

Confused - is this cover from Thailand outbound or to Thailand inbound?

I'm looking for a 192 day policy for my Thai gf (worldwide excluding US) out from Thailand and return to Thailand

All Thai insurance companies only allow 180 days ((I have no idea why)

• Sad 1