Looking for a new desktop computer

53 minutes ago, andygrr said:

HP and Dell are worth considering, they probably have the best service

Depends on location I guess.

To my knowledge, neither have a presence here on Samui

I can't work out why anyone needs a desktop nowadays unless for work. I have a laptop and a good phone. I can do most things including this forum on my phone. I hardly use my laptop at all nowadays, just my phone.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I tried JIB, Banana IT, Powerbuy, InvadeIT etc etc mai mee

I am finding it a bit hard to fathom why these main computer franchises don't have any computers for sale?

1 hour ago, andygrr said:

ASUS are OK but I would stay clear of ACER. HP and Dell are worth considering, they probably have the best service 

My Mrs' ACER All in One has been good for 4 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

I am finding it a bit hard to fathom why these main computer franchises don't have any computers for sale?

They have plenty of laptops. 

Desktops - to order. Nothing off the shelf.

41 minutes ago, jimn said:

I can't work out why anyone needs a desktop nowadays unless for work. I have a laptop and a good phone. I can do most things including this forum on my phone. I hardly use my laptop at all nowadays, just my phone.

Yes, it is for work.

Phone apps are rubbish.

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, jimn said:

yes, for work ...

and gaming of course

and photo / video editing / converting

and storage

and backup

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, jimn said:

Could not be without my desktop PC

• Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Thanks khunPer but I am looking for a desktop.

Same place have some. Otherwise JIB in Central. You can choose main bord, SSDs (solid state drives) and graphic card. They'll assemble it for you and install OS after your choice, fx. Win10 or Win11. Power Buy (I think it is named) on the ground floor in central might also still have some desktops.

Lazada is an alternative. I've bought desktops from there, arrives within two days.

6 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Same place have some. Otherwise JIB in Central. You can choose main bord, SSDs (solid state drives) and graphic card. They'll assemble it for you and install OS after your choice, fx. Win10 or Win11. Power Buy (I think it is named) on the ground floor in central might also still have some desktops.

Lazada is an alternative. I've bought desktops from there, arrives within two days.

Thank you khunPer.

My dog of a desktop was built there. It was rubbish. I have finally thrown it out. That is why I wanted off the shelf. Salesman admitted that getting good engineers was difficult after Covid. They tried to sort it out twice and then my local IT support tried twice more - including a new motherboard.

Nothing in Powerbuy or Banana IT.

I have ordered online. InvadeIT came up with a good solution eventually.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/2/2024 at 6:58 AM, KannikaP said:

NUCs are so good, small and relatively cheap. Can only upgrade RAM and SSD, but they work like a dream. Had three myself.

If you are not "Gaming" then I like the NUC as a recommendation.  Can be a bit pricy, but the small footprint and even portability aspect is good.

Example: Bring PC with you Home to Office, just have the keyboard/mouse/monitor on both sides.
Same thing on a trip.  Can HDMI into Hotel TV, buy a KB/Mouse local.

• Agree 1