Two British Nationals Arrested for Illegally Working at Nightclub in Krabi

webfact

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

For UK citizens... Our foreign Wife's could move to the UK with us, apply for ILR and as soon as that application is in process they can start work - they also pay the national healthcare surcharge and secure national healthcare.

There is no such situation where I can work in Thailand, just because I have moved here with my Wife...  I have to be sponsored by a company that employs at least 4 Thai's....  I can't just go out and get any job as my Thai Wife could in the UK. 

Never ending. 

It is very easy to get a work permit in Thailand. Easier than it is for a Thai to get a visa to England for a holiday.

Your Thai wife probably would likely be rejected for a tourist visa to the UK if she wasnt married to you.

It sounds like you should probably move back to the UK where you will not be "discriminated" against.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, ericthai said:

I never had an issue getting a work permit and many of my expat friends never had an issue getting a work permit. Sure the process of getting a B visa has gotten harder over the years, but still not that difficult.   

Medieval? Ask a Thai how difficult it is for a work visa for the USA.

I don't have any issues, either. Because I don't work.
If it's about the Non-B-Visa, or the WP by itself. Without the sufficient support of “your” employer, you get a VE or a TV.
In case, you're talking about all these dodgy “grey zone” companies, who employ 4 Thais, or at least pretend to, for issuing one "Farang" WP,
(for the “owner”, or the “MD” 😂), might be the next task on the IO list. Raising the bar for Non-B-Visas was the 1st step in this context.

Anyway, whoever might get hit, under which circumstances ever, in the future.
The disgusting cheering, of the dumb “Schadenfreude-scum out-Parrot” faction, is already secured.
Maybe less, when they get hit by themselves.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/3/2024 at 3:18 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Many "Indians" are Thai Indians working perfectly legally, being Thai.

Not being snarky Lou but how can you be sure of that, have you been round and interviewed them all.? I am including all the Indian restaurant owners in that.

It does seem odd that so many Thai Indians would open up businesses in Pattaya in recent years.

4 hours ago, saintdomingo said:
On 4/3/2024 at 3:18 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Many "Indians" are Thai Indians working perfectly legally, being Thai.

Not being snarky Lou but how can you be sure of that, have you been round and interviewed them all.?

It seems that you are being snarky...have you interviewed them?  I posted "many Indians", not "them all" [sic].   

No one needs to interview all the "Indians" in business in Pattaya (and the rest of Thailand) to know that a lot of Indians in Thailand are, in fact, naturalised Thais. 

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It seems that you are being snarky...have you interviewed them?  I posted "many Indians", not "them all" [sic].   

No one needs to interview all the "Indians" in business in Pattaya (and the rest of Thailand) to know that a lot of Indians in Thailand are, in fact, naturalised Thais. 

But Lou nobody was talking about Indians in Thailand, you specifically mentioned Indian business owners in Pattaya. And I was asking how you KNOW that they are Thai citizens.

Strange that over a few years many chose to become business owners in the business graveyard of Pattaya. And instantly suffered the same fate of many before them, empty premises, no customers and no benefit. Have you spent much time in Pattaya and seen the empty Indian restaurants.?

12 minutes ago, saintdomingo said:
24 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

But Lou nobody was talking about Indians in Thailand, you specifically mentioned Indian business owners in Pattaya. And I was asking how you KNOW that they are Thai citizens.

That's the reason that I specifically mentioned Pattaya, which I believe is still in Thailand.   I did not say that I know that the "Indians" to whom you refer are Thais, I said, factually, that many "Indians" have Thai nationality and that could apply to those operating businesses in Pattaya.

Ah so now it only "could" apply to Indians in Pattaya.

I am sure some of them are Thai, but the new (including failed and failing) Indian resto owners in my experience are not Thai.

I have not been interviewing them any more than you have.

But I have spent much time in Sois 13/1 and 13/2 (Soi Post Office and Soi Yamato to us dinosaurs] and seen the opening and closing of these places.

On 4/4/2024 at 1:43 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Yes they are, but the rules are still antiquated... 

For UK citizens... Our foreign Wife's could move to the UK with us, apply for ILR and as soon as that application is in process they can start work - they also pay the national healthcare surcharge and secure national healthcare.

There is no such situation where I can work in Thailand, just because I have moved here with my Wife...  I have to be sponsored by a company that employs at least 4 Thai's....  I can't just go out and get any job as my Thai Wife could in the UK. 

Each country has its pro's and con's...  But it seems each time one of Thai's flaws is highlighted you stretch to certain lengths to justify those flaws which highlights a certain degree of 'Stockholm syndrome' where Thailand has taken your mind, you become blinkered and only see the issue from the a myopic perspective void of balance. 

So, why write so much. What you are saying is the UK is updated and modern and Thailand has an anitquated system. How would it be if you just cut UK loose. this is in Thailand. UK is not best in the world, and everything does not circle around UK. Different countries, different laws. 

On 4/4/2024 at 7:44 AM, Maitdjai said:

Parrots have no opinions.

They're just parrotting.

Very simple!

Sure, I'm failing. If a parrot in a parrot sanctuary, say so...

bird fetish?

On 4/4/2024 at 1:43 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Yes they are, but the rules are still antiquated... 

Each country has its pro's and con's...  But it seems each time one of Thai's flaws is highlighted you stretch to certain lengths to justify those flaws which highlights a certain degree of 'Stockholm syndrome' where Thailand has taken your mind, you become blinkered and only see the issue from the a myopic perspective void of balance. 

That is one of the reasons the UK is now being overwhelmed by economic migrants and bogus refugees and asylum seekers.

On 4/3/2024 at 9:29 PM, Gottfrid said:

For you they might be, but they are the rules and laws in the country the people in question have chosen to reside in. Medieval or not, if they break them, they will have to pay for it one way or another. That is also something the ones who break the rules are very aware about.

Still, I'm generally more concerned about what is right (at least in my opinion) than what is lawful in a strict sense.
Actually, I never said that those who don't abide the law shouldn't be held accountable. But since I think that a minor administrative infraction isn't a fact of the broad interested for the community, I suppose it's more useful to debate a bit about the rules that regulate life in Thailand for us foreigner.

I also think that a strict talk about laws in a country with a corruption index of 36/100 (the lower the worst) it's a bit pretentious. We all know how the law is bent or ignored on a daily basis, specially for minor infractions, at the point that is far more interesting discussing about the reasons when it's applied.

Have a nice day. 

On 4/3/2024 at 9:35 PM, ericthai said:

I never had an issue getting a work permit and many of my expat friends never had an issue getting a work permit. Sure the process of getting a B visa has gotten harder over the years, but still not that difficult.   

Medieval? Ask a Thai how difficult it is for a work visa for the USA.

Lucky you. If you were a freelancer like me you'd know it's impossible to get a B Visa.

I'm not aware of the US rules about VISAs (a country, btw, that I'm not a huge fan of), nor I'm interested on the topic, which isn't the one in discussion.

Have a nice day 

On 4/3/2024 at 1:34 PM, Gloman said:

If the tunes they were banging out was good then I would have left them alone. If it was anything like that Thai karaoke then I certainly would evict them….

curious if it was someone famous would there be such a fuss about it? Most likely not! 

Shame they can't allow a certain number of Western DJ's here work permits to supply foreigners with quality tunes. I've never met anyone who likes Thai Pop music besides the locals.

• Confused 1

On 4/3/2024 at 5:28 PM, Bday Prang said:

Well that would be a matter for the Thai authorities, Its hardly something for the elderly ex pats to get themselves all worked up about, 

Do you think you will never be elderly? We are very respected here unlike where I suspect you come from.

Even with a work permit games can be played.

In my circle of contacts I knew foreigners working in specialty medical clinics with work permits.  The employer used this as leverage to manipulate foreign employees. 

Boss would pay a fraction of agreed upon salary and when unpaid amounts got too high or foreign workers got too vocal demanding back pay, boss would cancel work permit and fire worker claiming inferior work provided.

The unpaid salaries were used to purchase toys like cars and helicopters and hotels in resort destinations.  

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Alex80 said:

Lucky you. If you were a freelancer like me you'd know it's impossible to get a B Visa.

I'm not aware of the US rules about VISAs (a country, btw, that I'm not a huge fan of), nor I'm interested on the topic, which isn't the one in discussion.

Have a nice day 

You're right I'm lucky, I got a good education went to work for a company in the USA and after a few years they transferred me to Thailand.

Sorry you have an issue! Thailand is not what it used to be (relaxed and easy going)

It used to so easy to get a B visa, just needed a letter from a Thai company saying they were going to hire you. 

Then that was abused and they started wanting cooperate documents, taxes etc and it just got tighter since then.

I feel sorry for guys like you having to deal with current government.  

8 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

Even with a work permit games can be played.

In my circle of contacts I knew foreigners working in specialty medical clinics with work permits.  The employer used this as leverage to manipulate foreign employees. 

Boss would pay a fraction of agreed upon salary and when unpaid amounts got too high or foreign workers got too vocal demanding back pay, boss would cancel work permit and fire worker claiming inferior work provided.

The unpaid salaries were used to purchase toys like cars and helicopters and hotels in resort destinations.  

if they have an employment contract like they should the employer just cant fire them.  Also there is severance pay. 

Why would the employees allow this?  did the employees use fake documents to get a work permit?

If the employee are legal they have rights, the labor board in Thailand is very strong and is on the side of the worker. 

18 hours ago, Alex80 said:

Still, I'm generally more concerned about what is right (at least in my opinion) than what is lawful in a strict sense.
Actually, I never said that those who don't abide the law shouldn't be held accountable. But since I think that a minor administrative infraction isn't a fact of the broad interested for the community, I suppose it's more useful to debate a bit about the rules that regulate life in Thailand for us foreigner.

I also think that a strict talk about laws in a country with a corruption index of 36/100 (the lower the worst) it's a bit pretentious. We all know how the law is bent or ignored on a daily basis, specially for minor infractions, at the point that is far more interesting discussing about the reasons when it's applied.

Have a nice day. 

The only thing you are concerned about, is that the rules in a country you come to have rules that fit your agenda or how you think it should be. Usually a Brit thing.

18 hours ago, Alex80 said:

Have a nice day 

No, you see! You are not aware and not interested, when someone state that it´s same hard or harder to get VISA and work permit in other countries. There are many. The only thing you are interested in, is to complain about Thailand.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 4:59 PM, riclag said:

Sounds like someone was a tad jealous of these  Brit falangs!

Maybe another falang envious of the competition !

Or somebody doesn’t like the owner.

Or someone took out the competition,tiktok tiktok....