Two British Nationals Arrested for Illegally Working at Nightclub in Krabi

webfact

6 hours ago, Phil1964 said:

Same here in the UK, Thais visiting on 6 month tourist visas, who are then illegally employed in a 'friend's from my village massage shop', or restaurant while sleeping on site in a private room. 

Mind you, the UK Home Office is a shambles...

Sure, but this is Thailand and not the UK.

6 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Looking forward to the schadenfreude when the "deport" crowd like yourself get deported for some minor infraction 🙂 

Ops! Another schadenfreude guy! Sorry to say, but that will never happen. I beg your excuse if I sabotaged your day.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Maitdjai said:

Another Parrot “Expert-Analysis”…

Not at all. Just an opinion. You seem like the one thinking he is an expert. Sorry, but you failed.

4 hours ago, Alex80 said:

Or maybe make more sensible rules?

Tbh the rules about working in Thailand are medioeval

I never had an issue getting a work permit and many of my expat friends never had an issue getting a work permit. Sure the process of getting a B visa has gotten harder over the years, but still not that difficult.   

Medieval? Ask a Thai how difficult it is for a work visa for the USA.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, transam said:

Are you..........?   :ninja:...........😂

Just another meaningless comment from you, like always. Two words and two emojis and some dots. Guess that´s the best you can do. Now go play with someone at the same low level.

3 hours ago, ericthai said:

I never had an issue getting a work permit and many of my expat friends never had an issue getting a work permit. Sure the process of getting a B visa has gotten harder over the years, but still not that difficult.   

Medieval? Ask a Thai how difficult it is for a work visa for the USA.

And you worked with a permit as a nightclub M/C and DJ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

Whilst it's sad for the individuals concerned, Thailand has it's Laws about foreigners working and those who choose to flout that Law are pushing their luck !

And what about the employers who chose to hire them without arranging for proper visas?

I know a lot of foreigners working in the nightlife industry, the majority of the cases they would love to become legal, but the company they work for does everything to avoid and delay sponsoring their visas. One of my friends took two years(!) before he was able to get one, others had to resort to questionable agent-bought visas because management didn't want/bother to arrange a proper one.

If they prosecuted management and owners instead of employees things would get fixed real quick...

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Maitdjai said:

Wow. But for interrogating illegal workers, and investigations, even in “someone's private home”, you might need a WP. About “whistleblowing”, I'm not sure. It depends on the amount of the “cases”, I guess.

As mentioned the guy knows it's illegal but he kinda doesn't care as escaping being sent to the front lines is more important to him 

1 hour ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

And what about the employers who chose to hire them without arranging for proper visas?

I know a lot of foreigners working in the nightlife industry, the majority of the cases they would love to become legal, but the company they work for does everything to avoid and delay sponsoring their visas. One of my friends took two years(!) before he was able to get one, others had to resort to questionable agent-bought visas because management didn't want/bother to arrange a proper one.

If they prosecuted management and owners instead of employees things would get fixed real quick...

Are you talking about getting Thai work permits or the specific visa which is issued after the foreigner has received a Thai work permit?

And are you aware of the requirements to gain a Thai work permit?

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

A shame that as a ten-year member of the forum you don't know what is going on here, something that has been frequently reported here.

It doesn't matter how many years he's been active. @TorquayFan very well may have had better things to do with his time than browsing AseanNOW when that particular story developed.

I don't understand how this forum can generate so many nasty, cynical, smart-ass replies to such a simple question from a fellow member!

• Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

It seems to me I'm reading about this and similar situations much more often than in the past. Is that right ?

Whilst it's sad for the individuals concerned, Thailand has it's Laws about foreigners working and those who choose to flout that Law are pushing their luck !

Is there a 'clampdown' under way ?

You should tune in and pay attention to the real world more often... then you would have your answer

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

Peanuts, like most foreigners working in Thailand

You obviously never work here, teaching is not the only profession farang engage in here!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Are you talking about getting Thai work permits or the specific visa which is issued after the foreigner has received a Thai work permit?

And are you aware of the requirements to gain a Thai work permit?

Both. Yes I am aware that it requires 2mil baht registered capital and 4 Thai employees per foreigner sponsored, which is exactly why they avoid and delay sponsoring their employees until a quota clears up (either they hire more Thais or a foreigner quits).

Of course a lot of foreigners are being employed in jobs that cannot legally be employed in like bartenders, cleaners, wait staff, etc - but in that case why are they hiring foreigners for jobs they could hire Thais (and probably pay them less) for? Want foreign managers - get them a work permit. If all your other staff is Thai then no problem.

4 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Do you see the word "most"?

I did, and you are right but some do very well in Thailand working for International Companies! :thumbsup:

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Slocum said:

Sure they know it's illegal in any countries...just jail them.. than life Ban fro coming here.. These are cheap system abusive scum.... Just Low people on the planet... 

Sophisticated, wannabe assimilated "elite" dump heads, are referring about "scum".

Nothing new. Somehow it's funny.

But, I still wonder why?

Collecting bonus points for the next EOS? Just guessing...

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

10 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Ops! Another schadenfreude guy! Sorry to say, but that will never happen. I beg your excuse if I sabotaged your day.

don't you spend all day getting outraged on here? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Just another meaningless comment from you, like always. Two words and two emojis and some dots. Guess that´s the best you can do. Now go play with someone at the same low level.

It was all that was needed...........😉

11 hours ago, khunpin said:

Good, that they got caught! I can only hope that they will get banned from entering Thailand again! 

11 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Why would you hope that  ?

Maybe, he's a professional DJ/CM (with WP), and fears about his future. 😂

27 minutes ago, Maitdjai said:

Maybe, he's a professional DJ/CM (with WP), and fears about his future. 😂

Or maybe his woman ran off with a DJ and he harbours a deep seated resentment of them   Or more likely he just wants to join in with the lynch mob and indulge in a bit of virtue signalling

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

"I know a lot of foreigners working in the nightlife industry, the majority of the cases they would love to become legal, but the company they work for does everything to avoid and delay sponsoring their visas." 

What actual jobs do they do? Are they barmen, waiters, or ???? 

I'm wondering if you believe that management / owners can support work permit applications for any job.

That's not true, there's a long list of jobs / professions which can only be performed by Thai nationals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

What actual jobs do they do? Are they barmen, waiters, or ???? 

I'm wondering if you believe that management / owners can support work permit applications for any job.

I just wrote I'm aware of that in a subsequent post. Obviously foreigners working in forbidden professions like waiters and bartenders are responsible for their own choices and actions. Getting a work permit for a DJ, performer, manager, etc shouldn't be a problem for a business that cares about their employees.

The specific people I'm thinking about are mostly club managers, security managers, PR team managers, DJs, etc.

I don't think I know any westerners working as bartenders or cleaners - and it makes sense since the wages are too low. I do know some Burmese and such who do, but I have no idea what their visa status is.

6 hours ago, JayClay said:
20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

A shame that as a ten-year member of the forum you don't know what is going on here, something that has been frequently reported here.

It doesn't matter how many years he's been active. @TorquayFan very well may have had better things to do with his time than browsing AseanNOW when that particular story developed.

That story has been all over the media for weeks, not just in AN!

15 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

I just wrote I'm aware of that in a subsequent post. Obviously foreigners working in forbidden professions like waiters and bartenders are responsible for their own choices and actions. Getting a work permit for a DJ, performer, manager, etc shouldn't be a problem for a business that cares about their employees.

The specific people I'm thinking about are mostly club managers, security managers, PR team managers, DJs, etc.

I don't think I know any westerners working as bartenders or cleaners - and it makes sense since the wages are too low. I do know some Burmese and such who do, but I have no idea what their visa status is.

Regional workers (Myanmar, laos, Cambodia, Vietnam) work under different WP rules, and many do have work permits specific to their nationality / jobs etc. Cannot compare to work permits for EU, US, German, Australian and similar foreigners.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

don't you spend all day getting outraged on here? 

I'm glad somebody else has noticed this,  I thought it was only me who had spotted it

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

For you they might be, but they are the rules and laws in the country the people in question have chosen to reside in. Medieval or not, if they break them, they will have to pay for it one way or another. That is also something the ones who break the rules are very aware about.

Yes they are, but the rules are still antiquated... 

For UK citizens... Our foreign Wife's could move to the UK with us, apply for ILR and as soon as that application is in process they can start work - they also pay the national healthcare surcharge and secure national healthcare.

There is no such situation where I can work in Thailand, just because I have moved here with my Wife...  I have to be sponsored by a company that employs at least 4 Thai's....  I can't just go out and get any job as my Thai Wife could in the UK. 

Each country has its pro's and con's...  But it seems each time one of Thai's flaws is highlighted you stretch to certain lengths to justify those flaws which highlights a certain degree of 'Stockholm syndrome' where Thailand has taken your mind, you become blinkered and only see the issue from the a myopic perspective void of balance. 

• Sad 1