Fatal Bangkok motorcycle collision leaves unknown foreigner dead

snoop1130

patbike1.jpg

A fatal collision in Bangkok on Monday resulted in the death of an unknown foreigner and the severe injury of a Thai man. The incident took place on Charoen Nakhon Road, Khlong San, Bangkok at 2.50pm on April 1, and involved a large motorcycle colliding with a smaller one.

Officers from Samre Police Station and emergency services were alerted to the situation and swiftly arrived at the scene.

Upon arrival, the emergency services discovered a green large motorcycle in a state of significant damage. The motorcycle had ended up in front of a white pickup truck in the opposing lane.

Nearby, a foreign man, who was riding the large motorcycle, was found unconscious beneath the pickup truck. He had sustained a serious injury to his leg. The man was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after the emergency services’ arrival.

Additionally, an unidentified Thai man was discovered unconscious near a smaller, blue motorcycle. First aid was promptly administered by the rescue teams, and the man was transported to Charoenkrung Hospital for immediate medical attention.

The driver of the white pickup truck, 42 year old Watcharaphon Pansuk relayed his account of the incident to the police. He explained that the collision occurred when the smaller blue motorcycle emerged from a Soi at the scene of the accident.

The large green motorcycle, which was travelling at a high speed, collided with the blue motorcycle. This caused the rider of the large motorcycle to be projected into the opposite lane, where he landed in front of Watcharaphon’s truck.

The deceased foreign rider had no identification on him. However, a copy of the large motorcycle’s registration was found. The registration was under the name of a 70 year old British-American man, Nicholas. The police are currently operating on the assumption that Nicholas may be a relative of the victim, given that the victim appeared to be significantly younger than 70 years old.

The police investigation into the incident continues, and their priority is determining whether Nicholas was indeed a relative of the deceased. Once this is confirmed, the police will contact the victim’s family or relatives to claim the body for religious rituals.

By Top

Caption: Picture of fatal accident scene courtesy of Pattaya News

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-03

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

• Sad 4

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The driver of the white pickup truck, 42 year old Watcharaphon Pansuk relayed his account of the incident to the police. He explained that the collision occurred when the smaller blue motorcycle emerged from a Soi at the scene of the accident.

The large green motorcycle, which was travelling at a high speed, collided with the blue motorcycle. This caused the rider of the large motorcycle to be projected into the opposite lane, where he landed in front of Watcharaphon’s truck.

He dunnit

• Agree 1

Obviously farang was cruising at high speed, if he landed in the other lane, some distance from his scooter.   It's really hard to see, let alone judge the speed of scooter traveling at high speed.

Looks like an urban setting, not divided road, so he certainly wasn't doing 60 kph, as that scooter is mangled up bad, dislodged the front tire.  Easy to survive at speed limit, unless not wearing a helmet.

Speed kills

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

That the foreigner was at high speed has of course nothing to do with it. Just blame the Thais when you can.

Credit where credit's due!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jippytum said:

Thai rider of the blue bike entered the major road from the left without stopping or looking right. Thai drivers of motorcycles do this all the time. 

Yeah, and there are always stupid farangs driving with high speed.

A really avoidable accident. Farang paid the highest price for high speed.🙏

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, jippytum said:

Thai rider of the blue bike entered the major road from the left without stopping or looking right. Thai drivers of motorcycles do this all the time. 

It's more insidious than just not looking.  I've had a lot of drivers glance quickly, then look away pretending to be unaware that I'm coming.  That puts the onus on me to swerve to avoid them, though I have the right of way.  Not just Thai drivers, either.  Seems a lot of foreigners go native and learn the tricks.  They'd never do that back home...

3 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

And so too it seems that "big motorcycle" riders travel at a high rate of speed putting themselves and everyone else in danger... 

Does 'at a high rate of speed' mean FAST?

Yes I love that throw away term 'High speed'.  Is that relative to anything?  I mean was the green bike rider travelling at the same speed as the rest of the traffic or faster. 

What's the posted speed limit? 

There are so many unknowns to this and I would hazard a guess that the deceased will foot the blame, although it appears the idiot that pulled out into his lane is the main cause for the accident. 

Sure most educated/experienced riders will ride to the conditions. 

Maybe the rider of the green bike (Kawasaki Z?) wasn't that experienced?  I'd like to see cctv footage although that won't bring the deceased back... But at least in the long term, the scooter rider may (Yes I'm probably dreaming here) learn something. 

Unfortunately a sad outcome and one which gets repeated every day. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, jippytum said:

This doesn't explain the accident at all really. Just a typical cheap shot at the Thai rider.

It was a big bike owned by a 70 year old farang and being borrowed by a younger farang 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

This doesn't explain the accident at all really. Just a typical cheap shot at the Thai rider.

It was a big bike owned by a 70 year old farang and being borrowed by a younger farang 

I fail to see how facts become cheap shots. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

So you always have to drive at a speed where you can stop safely if someone suddenly pulls out of a side street directly into your path or it's your fault?  What speed is that, walking speed?  Do you drive at that speed all the time?  Doubt it.

No, but in traffic, in a built up area, and in the inside lane you don't drive at speeds which, if you collide, throw bodies across the road

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, jippytum said:

don't know if this is relevant in this situation but i live in bangkok and often see riders of large motorcycles driving way too fast for the road conditions and often think; should something unexpected happen there is no way you can react in time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harsh Jones said:

Yet the explanation of another rider pulling out from the side road into the path of the rider of the larger bike is clear, crystal clear.

Thats not a cheap shot at the Thai rider, that is what appears to have happened. 

As a motorcycle rider in Bangkok (and car driver) on a daily basis I'm braking to avoid a motorcyclist who has pulled out or / and cut me off without looking.... 

I've written it numerous times before...  Almost on a daily basis there are motorcyclists out there who have me to thank for taking emergency avoiding action (usually braking hard as swerving places me and inoccent others at risk).

--------

Worst one I've seen....     Riding down the road in Bangkok, Family of 3 (2 adults and a child - none with a helmet) riding towards me on the footpath. Without any warming, the swerve off the footpath (via a driveway / entrance way) and ride straight towards me... I was about 5m away when this happened... Lucky, I was able to avoid the head on collision.

Such outrageously moronic road behavior is not an isolated event, such utter fluckwittery is a occurrence witnessed daily....

So....  @Harsh Jones  you may not want to be someone who's seen as a 'Thai Basher' and thats fair enough, but don't be so blind to defend the utter idiocy that unfolds in front of us on Thailands roads on a daily basis, because a lot of these comments are not cheap shots, they're merely observations that many in our home nations would find astonishing to the point of disbelief. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:
27 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

No, but in traffic, in a built up area, and in the inside lane you don't drive at speeds which, if you collide, throw bodies across the road

What speed is that?

Indeed....  because when we are riding 'with the traffic' at 30, 40, or 50 kmh and something pulls out in front of us, the bike we are on stops, but our bodies continue... 

Perhaps some people such as herfiehandbag think we should all ride around at 10km... then those very same victim-blaming characters would blame the motorcyclist for not riding with the flow of traffic and place blame on them when vehicle rear-ends them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, zhounan said:

Men, don't buy big bikes to your sons.

Rephrase for you: 

Parents (Guardians) - please don't allow your children to ride motorcycles at all.....  At least until they have a number of years driving road experience by which time they are educated enough, informed enough and mature enough to make their own informed and sensible decisions.

Even myself, with a Motorcycle - the decision is not one I consider sensible...   I've changed my motorcycling habits in Thailand, I use the car for most journeys.... I haven't used the bike for months - Its only there for my convenience to pop down the road.

I've made the decision I'm not going to use it on any of Bangkok's larger roads (such as Rama IV / Sukhumvit / Petchaburi etc).

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:
9 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

And so too it seems that "big motorcycle" riders travel at a high rate of speed putting themselves and everyone else in danger... 

Does 'at a high rate of speed' mean FAST?

For an onlooker its impossible to gauge... 

I have ridden at 'normal road speeds' and had other motorcyclists scream past me at great speed an, close enough I can feel the wind from them..... 

At the same time, if a motorcyclist pulled out and cut me off, such that we collided, I imagine onlookers who suddenly saw the incident could state that I was travelling FAST (or at a high rate of speed)... as for most onlookers anything faster than a walking pace could be fast... the descriptor is purely subjective. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Equally so, it was one persons observation...   when there is an impact / accident.... it could always appear that the vehicle/s were travelling at a high-rate-of-speed....  becase thats what it 'feels like' to a stationary bystander or someone 'suddenly appearing on your side of the road coming towards you'.... 

IMO the reality is the motorcyclist was travelling at 'normal traffic speeds' when another bike pulled out in front of him without looking.

We'll never know of course, but one thing I am quite sure of - the witness statement which states the "the large green motorcycle, which was travelling at a high speed" is an unreliable statement because the time frame which which he had to make this observation was a split second.

I was really commenting on the use of many words instead of just one.

Same as 'at this moment in time' means NOW.

9 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

No place for a "big bike" in Thailand, except on the race track. Riding a scooter is fast enough and carries enough risk. BTW: I'm a 40 rider of years' experience on large and small bikes. RIP the deceased. Vehicles emerging left from sois without looking right is standard practice for Thais.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jippytum said:

It does sound like that rider enters traffic in a dangerous way.

I often observe motorcycles accelerating in traffic to speeds that will make it impossible to stop if another driver or rider does something dangerous.

That may have contributed to the collision as well.