Culture or Something else?

sqwakvfr

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Jeez, if these are your biggest complaints in 7 years you should be thankful.   Pretty minor stuff to complain about in my opinion.

It is more an observation than a complaint.  I have learned that most locals hate it when a foreigner complains.  Therefore, I I rarely give feedback to the locals.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

It is more an observation than a complaint.  I have learned that most locals hate it when a foreigner complains.  Therefore, I I rarely give feedback to the locals.

Up to them init they don't give a rat's ass what you think. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Up to them init they don't give a rat's ass what you think. 

That is why I do not say much to most locals.  All I need to do is buy a product or service.  At times the product and service are not great but there is not much a foreigner can do about that.  This has been the most difficult lesson I have learned.  But at times I wonder why?  The I get back to reality.  

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Many of us are in Thailand because it is different from "home", which is mostly somewhere in "the west".

Yes, Thailand is different, in many ways.

What should change:

Thailand should be just like the west - then why would you come?

Thailand should be Thailand in some ways, but like the west in ways I want it to be. - Really

Thailand is Thailand. Accept it.

Obviously, I also noticed problems with opening times and lots of other things which are not perfect.

Do I want to wait until they "improve" their lazy behavior?

Or is it so much better to just accept Thailand is Thailand.

Did most Thai people get the message that the current PM and government want 40 million arrivals this year?  More arrivals mean more problems, more “bad” guys and more chances of cultural misunderstanding and/or misinterpretations.  Some the locals I have met act like they want the borders closed to foreign arrivals,  Sarcastically I asked them “have you ever been to North Korea”?  They did not get the joke.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

Good thing it was a blood test and not a prostate exam you might have gotten an extra digit or two for making them start work so early.

Now I know 0700 actually means 0730 or 0800?  Schedules and timetables have little meaning or value in LOS.  Unless it negatively  affects them.  For instance if a train or flight is delayed.  

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I have lived in Chiang Mai for over 7 years and “ I will never understand the local people”.  Recently the following interactions have occurred:

1. Went to a well known clinic that is part of a major hospital for a bood test.  The clinic opens at 0700 and I showed up exactly at that time.  All the employees seemed upset that I showed up at 0700.  Got the blood test done but the cashier had not come to work yet.  This made the employees ever more upset.  I waited until 0800 when the cashier showed up and paid for the blood test.  The clerk then slammed the receipt on the counter.  I later found out that the clinic employees get to the spend the first hour relaxing because most patients do not show until at least 0800.  I guess “ it was my mistake for showing up when they opened”? 

2. Used to go to a gym that opens at “0700”.  During my time at this gym they would open at 0730, 0800, 0900 and once at 1200.  I asked the employee and eventually the manager about the inconsistent opening times and all got was a smile but no answer.  I found another gym shortly after.

3.  I recently booked a Grab car.  When the car arrived I entered and slipped on the floor mat and hit my head on the door frame.  The floor mat had a slipperysubstance and when I pointed this out to the driver she started laughing.  I guess  this was funny to her. The slippery substance looked like Armour All?  

Is admitting to a mistake and apologizing to a foreigner not possible? 

Now now, Mother. Settle down.😉

30 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Now I know 0700 actually means 0730 or 0800?  Schedules and timetables have little meaning or value in LOS.  Unless it negatively  affects them.  For instance if a train or flight is delayed.  

Time, and it's delineation is culturally very different to the Thais. For them, in all activities except those driven by "worldwide norms", notably aviation and broadcasting, the hour and not the minutes are what matters. So something which is supposed to happen at "10 o'clock" means any time during that hour. Time does not seem to bother them, and they can be remarkably patient - except when driving!

• Like 1

3.  I recently booked a Grab car.  When the car arrived

This surprises me...    a Grab Car actually arriving....

... How many drivers took the ride then cancelled before you actually had a one that turned up ?????

• Sad 1

I have lived in Chiang Mai for over 7 years and “ I will never understand the local people”.  Recently the following interactions have occurred:

1. Went to a well known clinic that is part of a major hospital for a bood test.  The clinic opens at 0700 and I showed up exactly at that time.  All the employees seemed upset that I showed up at 0700.  Got the blood test done but the cashier had not come to work yet.  This made the employees ever more upset.  I waited until 0800 when the cashier showed up and paid for the blood test.  The clerk then slammed the receipt on the counter.  I later found out that the clinic employees get to the spend the first hour relaxing because most patients do not show until at least 0800.  I guess “ it was my mistake for showing up when they opened”? 

2. Used to go to a gym that opens at “0700”.  During my time at this gym they would open at 0730, 0800, 0900 and once at 1200.  I asked the employee and eventually the manager about the inconsistent opening times and all got was a smile but no answer.  I found another gym shortly after.

3.  I recently booked a Grab car.  When the car arrived I entered and slipped on the floor mat and hit my head on the door frame.  The floor mat had a slipperysubstance and when I pointed this out to the driver she started laughing.  I guess  this was funny to her. The slippery substance looked like Armour All?  

Is admitting to a mistake and apologizing to a foreigner not possible? 

In your case I would leave that disgusting country. Immediately!!🙏

• Confused 1

Time is not money here, which is one of the main reasons why productivity is low, which is in turn one of the main reasons why most Thais live in poverty.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Time is not money here, which is one of the main reasons why productivity is low, which is in turn one of the main reasons why most Thais live in poverty.

I think you just summed it up.  I had a professor in college who said “ time is money and money is life”.  This is not true in LOS.  

• Sad 1