Thailand and China join forces for lunar and space research

webfact

2 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

I bet this is the reason behind China wanting to pal up with Thailand. 

Don't be surprised if China gets to use this slot.

The Thai satellites are being used for data collection, not broadcasting. Of course many on here would prefer to ridicule the well being of the Thai population.

The Minister of MHESI also added.“THEOS-2 is an advanced space infrastructure which is essential for the country. The data collected by THEOS-2 will be utilized to ensure that geospatial information across all regions of Thailand remains current, up-to-date, and accurate. This data will aid in the efficient management of disasters and emergency situations. THEOS-2 will also increase our capacity in natural disaster management, water management, agricultural management, urban planning and natural resources management, which underscores the necessity of science and technology in national development and the improvement of the well-being of our people.”

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/content/pr-theos2-10092023-2?cate=5d5bcb4e15e39c306000683e

Alright , happy ending on the dark side of the moon.

Far side of the moon a go go.. where we have had 10,000 successful launches...

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, sambum said:

Sir David Attenborough made a very telling comment right at the end of his "Life on Earth" programme. Filmed at Cape Canaveral/Kennedy Space Center beside a huge NASA rocket, he said, "America has proposed to spend billions of dollars on investigating the possibility of establishing a colony on another planet. Would that money not be better spent on looking after (improving?) the one that we've got?" 

A wonderfully incisive statement from a great man! 

and if the leaders of Europe in 1500 had decided that traveling to the New World (and later Australia) was a bad idea?

great initiative, and soon we are out of electronics and other western goods and service due to Thailand can be seen and an exporter of banned technology.

Sadly, enough China is not the country that respect the West nor seems to respect the international agreement and borders.

Thailand has better options when you look around, but sadly enough it seems that Thailand not want to learn from the Chinese submarine the ordered problem and the western diesel engine.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, chiman said:

I actually laughed out loud... nothing to more to say except nice AI image 

What do you mean AI image? That is the Crab Nebula, a supernova remnant which btw being about 6000 light years away is related to the article like a picture of tom yum is related to an article on Icelandic cuisine.

9 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Their contribution is painting the capsule.

I was thinking cleaning, laundry,food prep,'comfort'

, and entertainment fpr the chinese astronauts.

"Thailand and China join forces for lunar and space research". I very much doubt that this is the way the headline would read in China.

12 hours ago, sandyf said:

The Thai satellites are being used for data collection, not broadcasting. Of course many on here would prefer to ridicule the well being of the Thai population.

The Minister of MHESI also added.“THEOS-2 is an advanced space infrastructure which is essential for the country. The data collected by THEOS-2 will be utilized to ensure that geospatial information across all regions of Thailand remains current, up-to-date, and accurate. This data will aid in the efficient management of disasters and emergency situations. THEOS-2 will also increase our capacity in natural disaster management, water management, agricultural management, urban planning and natural resources management, which underscores the necessity of science and technology in national development and the improvement of the well-being of our people.”

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/content/pr-theos2-10092023-2?cate=5d5bcb4e15e39c306000683e

What a surprise that the minister involved has a reasonable looking soundbite to justify his department’s existence and spending. I recall seeing plenty of satellite images during the floods in 2011 and over the last decade with our persistent poor air quality issues. It would appear alternatives already exist.

Certain elements of Thai society love nothing better than implementing the latest international trends from developed countries. The problem is, the wider societal foundations for these are not yet in place.

Rather than standing on the shoulders of giants and messing around with vanity projects such as space exploration and submarines, below is a list of what I would describe as much higher priority spending issues for “the wellbeing of Thai people”.

Education

Health services

Social and old age care 

Water/flood management infrastructure - engineering/construction 

Air quality management

Road safety

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, neeray said:

"Thailand and China join forces for lunar and space research". I very much doubt that this is the way the headline would read in China.

Why?

18 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Why?

Why? Because little Thailand would be such a "bit player" in this partnership compared to big and technically strong China. This is merely Thailand running on China's coat tails. What does Thailand bring to the table as compared to China? Answer: Not much.

55 minutes ago, realfunster said:

What a surprise that the minister involved has a reasonable looking soundbite to justify his department’s existence and spending. I recall seeing plenty of satellite images during the floods in 2011 and over the last decade with our persistent poor air quality issues. It would appear alternatives already exist.

Certain elements of Thai society love nothing better than implementing the latest international trends from developed countries. The problem is, the wider societal foundations for these are not yet in place.

Rather than standing on the shoulders of giants and messing around with vanity projects such as space exploration and submarines, below is a list of what I would describe as much higher priority spending issues for “the wellbeing of Thai people”.

Education

Health services

Social and old age care 

Water/flood management infrastructure - engineering/construction 

Air quality management

Road safety

And may I add: 1)  encouragement and facilities to handle refuse (aka garbage) responsibly. 2)  deal with unsightly and dangerous cables of all utilities. 3)  proactive police work to reduce traffic fatalities.

28 minutes ago, neeray said:

Why? Because little Thailand would be such a "bit player" in this partnership compared to big and technically strong China. This is merely Thailand running on China's coat tails. What does Thailand bring to the table as compared to China? Answer: Not much.

This knee jerk reaction to criticize anything Thai got to stop.  I don't ever reed these threads anymore , the reactions are predictable. Don't mean to pick on you Neeray, I only saw your post as I was scrolling through the "Uread content" page. If anything yours was one of the more benign. 

If you will read the OP , which I am sure most posters in this thread have not, nowhere does it say "equal players" it says 

"The intent behind these Memorandums of Understanding (MoU) is the formation of a joint working group,  " it is an agreement to Cooperation.

Small countries often cooperate with larger countries in many projects. 

The Title and article read exactly as it should both here and in china, because it states what occurred.

Perhaps I am wrong. What is it in this article that you find untruthful or an exaggeration? Please post a quote and we will look at it. I promise an open mind. 

• Thumbs Up 2

In the future, picture yourself receiving a foot massage aboard a Chinese spaceship, expertly administered by talented Thai ladyboys. This scenario showcases the incredible potential of international cooperation to create truly extraordinary experiences.

15 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

and if the leaders of Europe in 1500 had decided that traveling to the New World (and later Australia) was a bad idea?

Then America would belong to the North American Indians, instead of immigrants who almost destroyed their way of life along with almost making one of their  main food sources extinct. And a similar scenario in Australia, except they imported boat loads of criminals to colonise the place. 

P.S. Sorry, SIRINEOU, I posted this before I saw yours! But nice to know that somebody agrees with me!

Edited by sambum
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, realfunster said:

Foreigners in Thailand want as much as they can get for as little as possible, they have no say and the government has no interest. 

The Thai space program started in 1971, remind us what was your "giant" focused on at that time, certainly not the well being of its own population, or any other.

People ought to remember the old adage on "sin" and "stones".

15 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

and if the leaders of Europe in 1500 had decided that traveling to the New World (and later Australia) was a bad idea?

It obviously was, or the countries concerned wouldn't have felt the need to claim independence.

Before 1914, the UK exercised authority over one fifth of the world's entire population with the British Empire made up of 88 million subjects. In 1939, Canada, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand were the first to be given independence within the Commonwealth. Since then a total of 62 countries have gained independence from the United Kingdom. This is followed by France with 28, Spain with 17, The Soviet Union with 16, Portugal with 7 and the USA with 5.

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/most-countries-to-have-gained-independence-from-the-same-country#:~:text=In 1939%2C Canada%2C South Africa,and the USA with 5.

17 minutes ago, sambum said:

And a similar scenario in Australia, except they imported boat loads of criminals to colonise the place. 

Yes and No, the criminals weren't imported, at that time the UK couldn't see much use for the country other than a place of incarceration, forcing them on the Australian colony.

Following WW2 an independent Australian government looked to increase the population through an assisted passage arrangement.

16 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Foreigners in Thailand want as much as they can get for as little as possible, they have no say and the government has no interest. 

The Thai space program started in 1971, remind us what was your "giant" focused on at that time, certainly not the well being of its own population, or any other.

People ought to remember the old adage on "sin" and "stones".

"Foreigners in Thailand want as much as they can get for as little as possible,..."

Total bullpoo - Foreigners,especially tourists, want to pay a fair price for any services or amenities, but they don't expect to be charged 4 or 5 times the amount that Thais pay - especially for "Tourist Attractions"! 

"They have no say..." Correct, but they can have an opinion!

"...and the Government has no interest". So why the constant emphasis on Tourism by the Government if they have "no interest"? Visa free entries which appears to be letting anybody and his dog into the country including Chinese Mafia types, and Russian draft dodgers, all in the interests of making BAHT for the country/Government.