Immigration officials gear up for Songkran rush at Thai border

image.jpeg

The head of the Immigration Police and the chief of Immigration Division 6 recently inspected the Sadao and Padang Besar border checkpoints in Songkhla province.

The inspection took place yesterday at 10.30am as part of a drive to ensure the readiness of the immigration facilities in anticipation of the increased flow of tourists during the Songkran festival, which marks the Thai New Year.

During this crucial pre-festival period, Itthipol Itthisarnronnachai, the head of the Immigration Police, accompanied by Songprode Sirisukha, the chief of Immigration Division 6, assessed the procedures in place to handle the expected surge in cross-border travel. The Songkran Festival, falling in mid-April, traditionally sees a substantial increase in both domestic and international tourists, who partake in the celebrations across Thailand.

The officials’ tour of the Sadao and Padang Besar checkpoints was not just a routine check but a strategic move to boost confidence among tourists regarding the efficiency and security of Thailand’s border controls. It also aimed to reassure the public that the immigration services are well-prepared to manage the festive rush without compromising on service quality or safety.

To further this objective, the authorities discussed various aspects of the immigration process, including the facilitation of entry and exit procedures, reported KhaoSod.

In addition to reviewing operational preparedness, Itthipol Itthisarnronnachai and Songprode Sirisukha also took the opportunity to distribute gifts to the immigration officers. These tokens of appreciation served to encourage and motivate the staff, highlighting the significance of their role in upholding the nation’s reputation during the Songkran holiday.

In related news, the Thai Health Promotion Foundation, StopDrink Network (SDN), and other relevant agencies conducted a press conference on Monday to deliberate on the celebration of Songkran in a manner that prioritised enjoyment, safety, and the absence of violence. Pairoj Saonuam, Deputy Manager of Thai Health, emerged as one of the prominent speakers at the event.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal 

Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-06

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, webfact said:

In addition to reviewing operational preparedness, Itthipol Itthisarnronnachai and Songprode Sirisukha also took the opportunity to distribute gifts to the immigration officers.

As many others do. 

• Haha 1

I hear the faint rustle of tumbleweed as it blows through the empty turnstiles. Oh dear, nobody showed. Exactly 0 tourists made the trip to Toyland for a non event of water chucking. Sorry TAT. This is not a world ranking event.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, bradiston said:

I hear the faint rustle of tumbleweed as it blows through the empty turnstiles.

No you'll hear the sound of hoards of Malaysians complaining about standing in line for two hours.

With the Hari Raya Idul Fitri holiday coinciding with Songkran this year it's also a long holiday in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia too - so Hat Yai is full.

6 minutes ago, Stocky said:

No you'll hear the sound of hoards of Malaysians complaining about standing in line for two hours.

With the Hari Raya Idul Fitri holiday coinciding with Songkran this year it's also a long holiday in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia too - so Hat Yai is full.

Of devout Moslems looking for a jump I guess?

28 minutes ago, bradiston said:

No doubt, but if you've ever visited Hat Yai you'd know that it's a popular holiday destination for families, Malay, Chinese and Indian Malaysians - it's not just Malaysian sexpats.

8 hours ago, bradiston said:

Muslims looking for a good time don't even visit Hat Yai anymore. They have different outlets for that purpose.

11 hours ago, MarcelV said:

Muslims looking for a good time don't even visit Hat Yai anymore. They have different outlets for that purpose.

Waste of time explaining, seems most of the posters to the Southern Thailand section have never been south of Pattaya.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, it is what it is said:

i initially thought it was for people, like me, heading in the other direction.

Indeed, there'll be a fair few people escaping in the other direction too.