Chiang Mai's Choking Haze: You Won't BELIEVE What's Killing This Paradise

george

Thanks NR - an interesting insight.

I wondered how these fires start ? Yes some nutters but . . . .

In the Ban Pang area I report from, i see fires way upon the mountains where no one go to or access. Some start naturally and are inaccessible.

Let's not forget the ICE fumes contributing, and the current blistering temperatures.

Just that Thailand should do what they can. ATB

9 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:

I wondered how these fires start ? Yes some nutters but . . . .

In the Ban Pang area I report from, i see fires way upon the mountains where no one go to or access. Some start naturally and are inaccessible.

See my previous post. Hill tribe and Thai Yai/Burmese people hunt and forage by burning the mountains. They live on the outskirts of society and have little regard for people outside their tribe. They start the fires from the road often and then once a path is open they can access the deep forest where animals live.

31 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Exactly, no crops burning, people light the grass in the mountains and road sides intentionally every year and they won't stop until the rains start. There is a culture of burning with these people. Here's a video of this lousy woman I have the displeasure to live next to. They have zero disregard for anything outside their little bubble and if they could make a few baht burning the forest they will absolutely do it.

IMG_1072.MOV 20.59 MB · 5 downloads  

only 2 piles of leaves ? a guy on my soi did about 9 a few weeks ago. as i walked by he looked at me said dirty burn better.  

1 minute ago, NorthernRyland said:

oh that was just one day. That stupid woman sweeps up leaves on the street in front of her house (shack) and burns them as they fall. It's just a culture of burning with them. In her mind she's doing a good thing keeping the streets clean. These are hopelessly backwards people but no one dare stop them. 

i love when they sweep right to the property edge and even if there was a huge garbage pile inches away..... nah it'll be fine. 

• Haha 2

Just now, stoner said:

i love when they sweep right to the property edge and even if there was a huge garbage pile inches away..... nah it'll be fine. 

I took this picture the other day to show to my wife as a good idea for her company to build. Thai people just don't care about public property. They made this nice place to put your trash and morons throw garbage outside it anyways. Every other bin around this reservoir is the same thing. Bins with trash strewn all over the place. These are university educated kids too. LOL.

image.thumb.png.ff1520203d60fe7b27698bee11683995.png

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Does anyone see any actual crops burning? I haven't seen one in months. All I see are forest fires which they are still lighting up to today.  I think the emphasis on crops is over stated and the bigger concern are hill tribes and other mountain people (Thai Yai/Burmese) who are up there foraging in the forests.

I cycle mainly further north & the burning is always at night. Early mornings we come thru & see the work done yet still smoldering.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Northstar1 said:

But the expats continue to tell us what a great place it is to live!

Sadly I think those that claim "oh its nothing I have a filter & mask" Just have no option so they put a heavy coat of lipstick on this pig. Sadly once lung cancer among other health problems is realized they will truly have no options.

The recent death of the young doctor Dr Krittai Tanasombatkul in Chiang Mai of lung cancer although having never smoked is sadly telling.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, mania said:

The recent death of the young doctor Dr Krittai Tanasombatkul in Chiang Mai of lung cancer although having never smoked is sadly telling.

Is called bad luck, i know one of 20s who lived all life clean air too. 

anyway yeah pollution sucks, but what is your point.

It is not just the burning, but the overall smog producing transportation system, manufacturing, etc.

It will never change because the cost is too great and technology way behind the west.

Promoting people to buy EVs is a joke will not help anything but the car companies. 

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

It is not just the burning, but the overall smog producing transportation system, manufacturing, etc.

It will never change because the cost is too great and technology way behind the west.

Promoting people to buy EVs is a joke will not help anything but the car companies. 

Its true, much more from the manufacturing and crap diesel engines with dirty injectors than people will admit..

• Agree 2