Multiple savings accounts with the same bank

23 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

Both are savings accounts? You had to do this in different provinces, because they don't open a second account in the same province?

Yes, both savings accounts. I opened the Bangkok account a long time ago on a tourist visa. After I moved to Pattaya, I wanted to get a Visa/MC debit card, and in Pattaya, they told me I had to go to the same branch where I opened my account; however, they could open a new account and give me a Visa/MC debit card for the same. I said OK, open another account. Hence, I have two accounts. 

Not Bangkok bank, but I have 3 accounts with SCB, for the same reason you want 2, only 1 has a card and I keep limited amounts of money in that, one has the 400k for my visa extension and the other is where I keep the bulk of my cash that I top up my day to day account with.

On 4/6/2024 at 11:58 PM, CartagenaWarlock said:

I have two bangkok bank accounts. One is in Bangkok, and the other is in Pattaya. 

I have 5 K bank savings accounts.

2 accounts are joint savings, me and my adult Thai son. (no atm/debit cards)

2 accounts opened (personal, not joint accounts) to be able start K Plus (app) and to start K Internet banking. (no atm/debit cards)

One more basic savings account with debit card. balance kept low.

Edited by scorecard

I have two savings account with Bangkok Bank in the same branch. One account for every day living which is joint with the wife and the other holds just over 800k for Immigration in just my name. That is the way to get round having two accounts.  

I’ve got multiple accounts opened with BKK bank over the years but when I wanted to open another account not long ago they wanted me to jump through so many hoops that I decided against it. 

On 4/6/2024 at 11:58 PM, JoseThailand said:

You don't get it. One account just for savings, with restricted access, no debit card. The other one, with a smaller balance, for payments (debit card, online payments etc.)

I do the same but with different banks

I was just talking about this to my friend the other day. I want 3 different accounts with 3 different currencies in case of emergency(i.e. the EUR or USD collapses). He said of course this can be done, all within the same bank but I'm not so sure. 

Example-my bank here in Thailand:

One THB account

One SGD account

One CHF account

Example-my bank in my home country:

One EUR account

Edited by Furioso

I have multiple accounts with one branch of Bangkok Bank, all in my name. 2 fixed savings accounts (one for immigration 800k and one as guarantee for my credit card). I also have 2 "current" savings accounts also in my name. I also have a joint account in my and my wife's name. Never had any problem opening any of these.

On 4/7/2024 at 12:18 AM, Sheryl said:

Not Bangkok Bank. But I have 2 savings accounts at Kasikorn, same branch. 

I also have two savings accounts with KBank, both at the same branch in Bangkok. 

Its handy having 2 ATM cards although I don't carry either (I use the phone for cardless cash withdrawals or QR code payments).  The cards are a backup in case my phone breaks and the second card is in case I leave on in a machine and getting a new card is inconvenient.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/6/2024 at 11:58 PM, JoseThailand said:

You don't get it. One account just for savings, with restricted access, no debit card. The other one, with a smaller balance, for payments (debit card, online payments etc.)

You are on the right train.  👌

On 4/6/2024 at 10:20 PM, JoseThailand said:

Has anyone managed to open multiple savings accounts with Bangkok Bank?

I don't know about new rules, but I think you can have one savings with debit card and one without any card. Perhaps there was a miscommunication. 

On 4/7/2024 at 12:18 AM, Sheryl said:

Not Bangkok Bank. But I have 2 savings accounts at Kasikorn, same branch. 

Me Too, Sheryl......But Got NOTHING in Either.....I'm Very POOR YENO ??

On 4/6/2024 at 11:46 PM, DonniePeverley said:

That makes no sense. Just use a calculator. 

Disagree sorry. I have joint  deposit account for our big hospital bills if ever I or wife need, like heart attack, cancer, stroke etc. Another account I never also touch for my visa and also for my credit card as I have never worked in thailand, yes you can get a credit card without having a job. My last account is joint with my wife for our yearly living expenses. 

I tried to open a second savings account with Bangkok Bank. Went to two branches, both said that one person can have only one savings account. I called the call center and they confirmed this. But it really doesn't make sense to me.

It doesn't have to make sense to you, it is their rule so just accept it and go to another bank.

I tried to open a second savings account with Bangkok Bank. Went to two branches, both said that one person can have only one savings account. I called the call center and they confirmed this. But it really doesn't make sense to me.

I have 2 accounts, but was told "as a foreigner I'm really only allowed to have one", however Thais can have multiple.

On 4/6/2024 at 5:20 PM, JoseThailand said:

I have – and have had for many years – two personal savings accounts in both Bangkok Bank and in SCB.

On 4/7/2024 at 4:25 AM, Sophon said:

And two accounts in the same bank is still only guaranteed for at total of 1 mio. Baht. 

Yeah, I wonder how the rich, or even modest rich handles it.

Lets say you are modest rich with 15 million baht, you would need 15 separate banks. If you want to be "safe".

Thats why they brought it down from 5 million at first?, then you only needed 3 banks.

As when one bank starts to tumble, others follow in domino effect, mostly.  And then YOU loose!

Even though CEO's get their bonuses and salary, despite bringing it down.

So how is a Thaksin , Thavisin or any other rich protecting their money?

Ok they have people working for them to put it away.

This week red,  Heineken owner by peeks and pokes doesnt pay 30 million euro on tax ! Saves the money from tax!

While I get taxed and MUST pay even in front, a whopping 125 euro. 

Maybe better to have a safe in the house where you can store your money, as interest is normally low, by new rules, after 2008.

Only with inflation you get more, but when all is alright you get almost nothing to nothing. In some cases you even need to pay!

• Sad 1

On 4/7/2024 at 9:02 AM, connda said:
On 4/6/2024 at 10:53 PM, DonniePeverley said:

What is your motive behind this ?

A single account is only insured for 1M THB. 

B1m is the maximum protection per institution (except for GSB accounts), it is not per account...

"Coverage on a per depositor per institution basis means that if a depositor has multiple deposit accounts in the same financial institution, the Deposit Protection Agency will determine the reimbursement amount by aggregating all deposits in the protected accounts across all branches..."

https://www.dpa.or.th/Deposit-Protection-Scheme

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 4/7/2024 at 10:30 AM, digbeth said:

the guarantee is per 'institution' ie bank, so if your bank goes under, the guarantee is only for 1m, having two or more accounts from the same bank doesn't mean you get more protection you still only covered for 1M

...unless you're with GSB!

On 4/7/2024 at 4:20 PM, Lorry said:

Many Thais from the provinces have one account upcountry and another in Bangkok.  Often the same bank

There's a big difference between Thais opening accounts and foreigners being able to do the same thing!

31 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Yeah, I wonder how the rich, or even modest rich handles it.

Lets say you are modest rich with 15 million baht, you would need 15 separate banks. If you want to be "safe".

Wealthy Thais in the know probably keep funds in the GSB where all deposits are protected, no limits.

9 hours ago, Furioso said:

I want 3 different accounts with 3 different currencies in case of emergency(i.e. the EUR or USD collapses). He said of course this can be done, all within the same bank but I'm not so sure. 

Major banks here offer Foreign Currency Deposit Accounts and generally those 2 currencies are offered. However you need to be clear on the costs. Just do your research online before you go and ask in a branch - and often only the bigger branches in a location will be able to do.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/-/media/files/personal/other-services/branch-services/international-branches/fcd_expat.pdf?la=en&hash=1B0B689C0A49EEFBB89232262CF1DAF23FC55920