Multiple savings accounts with the same bank

I tried to open a second savings account with Bangkok Bank. Went to two branches, both said that one person can have only one savings account. I called the call center and they confirmed this. But it really doesn't make sense to me.

Has anyone managed to open multiple savings accounts with Bangkok Bank?

Edited by JoseThailand
  • Confused 1

That seems slightly bizarre.  I only have one at Bangkok bank, but I was considering opening another to help segregate funds used for different purposes.  It would make my expense tracking easier... and I am very lazy!

I actually only wanted to open an EZ Savings account at SCB and the staff on their own initiative opened a regular savings account as well as the EZ.  They said they did that because with the EZ you can't do any transactions at a teller so I needed the regular account as well. ???

Amazing Thailand!

55 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

I have two bangkok bank accounts. One is in Bangkok, and the other is in Pattaya. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I have two bangkok bank accounts. One in Bangkok and the other one in Pattaya. 

Both are savings accounts? You had to do this in different provinces, because they don't open a second account in the same province?

Edited by JoseThailand

3 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

To me too. I don't know, maybe it's a new regulation at Bangkok Bank? Or they simply lied to me... TiT, after all

I have a Bangkok Bank account, but I've never been a fan. 

If you want to stick with them, you could use your existing account as a current/working account and open a short term fixed account for savings. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

If you want to stick with them, you could use your existing account as a current/working account and open a short term fixed account for savings. 

I don't wanna stick with them, but I don't have much choice. Yes, they offered me to open a fixed deposit account, but it can't be accessed via the app, which is useless...

What I need is two regular savings accounts. Gonna ask some agents, maybe they can help with that

4 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

I tried to open a second savings account with Bangkok Bank. Went to two branches, both said that one person can have only one savings account. I called the call center and they confirmed this. But it really doesn't make sense to me.

I've got four savings accounts at Bangkok Bank, two fixed accounts, and a mutual fund account.

Open as many as you like.

It might depend on the individual manager, otherwise this is something new if it's a directive from the top.

I'd try a third branch before giving up. Get your Thai partner to front up and put their negotiating skills to the test. If that all fails, then walk down the road to the next nearest bank and open an account there.

N.B. I have 2 x BB a/cs. One for receipt of rental payments and expenses. The other one for everyday personal use. Absolutely essential for reporting & reconciling later. 

I have a daily and three fixed income accounts at BKK bank, same branch. However, if you are talking about two separate daily accounts under the same name, I suspect what you have been told is correct.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I have a daily and three fixed income accounts at BKK bank, same branch. However, if you are talking about two separate daily accounts under the same name, I suspect what you have been told is correct.

What do you mean by "daily"? Savings account?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JoseThailand said:

What do you mean by "daily"? Savings account?

That would be 'current' accounts in Thai it's กระแสรายวัน which is where he must have got 'Daily' from 

52 minutes ago, digbeth said:

That would be 'current' accounts in Thai it's กระแสรายวัน which is where he must have got 'Daily' from 

I reckon it means just a normal savings account, as opposed to a fixed deposit.  Although they all do "current" accounts with a cheque book I never saw anyone with one.

I struggled with this for years. You just have to be persistent, do you have a sizable chunk of change in one account? This can help

I wanted a savings account with no atm, and an everyday account which I used for online shopping, etc. - I wanted to use the same bank, just using one banking app, etc. The branches told me it was against company policy, that it was bank of Thailand rules, etc for many year. The whole concept was lost on the bank managers, in the end I got a call center supervisor to appreciate my needs, she made a call to a manager and I got two accounts. I’m with Kasikorn. Good luck! 

Edited by recom273

9 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

You don't get it. One account just for savings, with restricted access, no debit card. The other one, with a smaller balance, for payments (debit card, online payments etc.)

I got 2 at Bangkok Bank in different provinces, both with ATM card.

I know that that Thai banks have to report to the US accounts opened by Americans, not sure if the same applies for other countries. 

I wonder if the reason some banks in Thailand might not want multiple  savings accounts, might be because the dont want to have to report multiple times to  the US or other countries that might require it. 

1 hour ago, connda said:

A single account is only insured for 1M THB. 

the guarantee is per 'institution' ie bank, so if your bank goes under, the guarantee is only for 1m, having two or more accounts from the same bank doesn't mean you get more protection you still only covered for 1M

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

I got 2 at Bangkok Bank in different provinces, both with ATM card.

Many Thais from the provinces have one account upcountry and another in Bangkok.  Often the same bank

18 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

I've had 4 accounts. 

Savings 

Joint Savings with spouse 

USD account 

Term deposit. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST