Air Pollution Spurs Lung Cancer Spike in Northern Thailand

webfact

16 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

If a 50% increase in lung cancer deaths in a decade doesn't inspire a clean up there, then I don't know what will.  

Air pollution has got to be worse for children, whose lungs are still developing.   

I have got to stop watching Seinfeld.

Of course, there can be no declaration of a health emergency because it could hurt tourism.  So, let them come,  then wander about for a few days,  deal with burning eyes and coughing.  A few photos will go viral worldwide,  and tourism will take a steep and long-lived decline; think of COVID.   

Someone recently posted that the Canadians design and manufacture planes to put out forest fires. These planes can be leased when needed, delivered, and then picked up. It would be nice to see them here next year.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/9/2024 at 3:23 AM, Kidvinie said:

Hmmm, funny how everything but the needle is taking blame for the increased mortality. 

It is to take attention away from the real cause of the problem. Very soon they will say that cardiac arrest is being caused by spicy food in Thailand.

On 4/8/2024 at 10:04 AM, happysoul said:

I've been living in Chiang Dao for 11 years. Made a move last month for the kids. Some years were ok, some horrible. 2016 when our daughter was born, was one of the horrible. It didn't rain a single drop from December (2015) to June. Normally the smoke problem goes away with the rain, so if it rains every month it's not that bad (equals or even better than CM city if you can call that not that bad).

What I would like to see is a study of impact of fertilizers and other chemicals widely used in longan orchards and corn fields. But that's another wide topic and not the one here.

It's really sad for the place as it's really nice outside of these smoking months. Nature is "still" preserved and the mountains are beautiful. Lot's of birds, wild orchid and insects. I've seen a lot of weird things I had never seen before even having spend some time in Amazonia. And the cold season that was always welcomed. How nice to sleep under a blanket at 15°C !

We will go back for the Christmas holidays to get that cold feeling ! 

May I ask you : do you smoke ? do you drink ? 😉

May i ask you please,do you live in Chiang Mai?