hotels insisting on passport at checkin (for TM30?)

We book everything in the wife's name and she checks in - I hang back at car etc.  Only one problem hotel who wanted passport - but I smiled and said no hab forgot. They kept asking and said to the wife about Immigration coming and them gettinmg into trouble if they see me. Wife said tell them he left it behind - all sorted - my fault. They backed down and every day after that it was all smiles each day.   No need or benefit to me or them - only possible downside if next 90 days is rejected for not 'reporting' properly or something - probably not happen, but why risk it.  We have been doing that since last year  - all booking accounts and bank accounts used are in Wife's name - no official records of me being there.  If I must show Passport to an Immigration Officer then I will suddenly find the Pasport - but I am not showing it to the lovely numpties in the hotels thanks.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, quake said:

Nah, they know 100% what they are doing.

Like many government offices for many different things,  they just make the rules up

themselves.

Nothing you can do about it.

Nah, you think they know what they're doing, but you never questioned it.
In 2021 we visited Buriram for 3 days. On my next visit to my IO they said I hadn't filed a new TM30 when I returned home.

I said, no need, new TM30 regulations.

They stated they'd never seen the new regulation, but once aware they've complied with the new regs.

On 4/11/2024 at 10:37 AM, Liquorice said:

Depends on if the hotels comply with the requirements, some do, some don't.

If I'm with the wife, they usually just check her in ........... I'm just baggage.

The new TM30 regulations also affect hotels in so far as if you stayed beforehand and return, they are no longer required to file further TM30's.

Agreed. Added compensation for having Thai Wife, have her sign in.

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

Nah, you think they know what they're doing, but you never questioned it.
In 2021 we visited Buriram for 3 days. On my next visit to my IO they said I hadn't filed a new TM30 when I returned home.

I said, no need, new TM30 regulations.

They stated they'd never seen the new regulation, but once aware they've complied with the new regs.

Who said I never questioned it :giggle:

Like I said,  many government offices,  for many different things,  just make the rules up themselves.

But,  well done for schooling Buriram immigration on TM-30 issues. :thumbsup:

I have had two run-ins with Nongkhai immigration, in the past 3 years.

I have had enough of there ways. ( just making stuff up )

the other issue was, not issuing a certificate of residence, for the renewal of a driving license, Reason was, current 12 months retirement extension was not issued in Nongkhai. so had to stop driving for 6 months. until it was  12 retirement extension time at nongkhai ( wonderful ) but the bright side was I could have a few beers all the time, as wife had to drive. :cheesy:

I will be doing TM-30 stuff on line soon, I used to do it with the old system on line, just never got round to using the new one. 

I also just find some hotels at the present,  that are happy with just my wife checking in. to avoid the TM-30 stuff.

Again won't be an issue when I do it all on line, soon.

But I bet it's a problem for some of the older  ex-pats who are not computer savvy. and don't live close to nongkhai immigration office.

It's about time they scraped this crazy 90 day and TM-30 reporting.

Thailand needs to grow up.

Edited by quake
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

We book everything in the wife's name and she checks in - I hang back at car etc.  Only one problem hotel who wanted passport - but I smiled and said no hab forgot. They kept asking and said to the wife about Immigration coming and them gettinmg into trouble if they see me. Wife said tell them he left it behind - all sorted - my fault. They backed down and every day after that it was all smiles each day.   No need or benefit to me or them - only possible downside if next 90 days is rejected for not 'reporting' properly or something - probably not happen, but why risk it.  We have been doing that since last year  - all booking accounts and bank accounts used are in Wife's name - no official records of me being there.  If I must show Passport to an Immigration Officer then I will suddenly find the Pasport - but I am not showing it to the lovely numpties in the hotels thanks.

Why make life difficult for others ?.....    Its ok, question was rhetorical - the answer is in your user-name.

I usually just offer my Pink ID from my wallet and this is accepted, but not all the time, sometimes the staff will want a Passport, so I get that out of bag (the only reason I offer my pink ID in the first place is that its simpler to access than my passport which is locked in my bag).

Another facet to this issue - from the 'other' side.

Immigration target some hotels more than others and they 'love' to see that foreigners are staying there that have not been registered with the TM30 - This allows 'negotiating power' for future free stays at that hotel (for Immigration and 'friends of')....

Thus some hotels want to do things 100% above board and officially so they don't have to bend over to this type of behavior. 

• Agree 1

In Thailand, my wife does the booking and the check-in, both for our flights and the hotels, and for both check-ins she asks for my passport before she walks up to the counter. Therefore, I can say that no hotel in Thailand is asking me for my passport.

When I travel alone, eg for business, I proffer my passport without waiting to see whether I am being asked for a document.

1 minute ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Good luck mate - those of us who have had the experience of dealing with Immigration know that they are best avoided at any cost. 

You're not dealing with Immigration - you are dealing with hotel stall whose job it is to do their job and you are making that more difficult for them because you are 'trouble and grumpy' !!!... 

If they ask specifically for a passport - just give it to them...   what harm could that possible come to ??? 

You are scared that Immigration know you went to xx place on a 3 day break ???

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why make life difficult for others ?.....    Its ok, question was rhetorical - the answer is in your user-name.

I usually just offer my Pink ID from my wallet and this is accepted, but not all the time, sometimes the staff will want a Passport, so I get that out of bag (the only reason I offer my pink ID in the first place is that its simpler to access than my passport which is locked in my bag).

Another facet to this issue - from the 'other' side.

Immigration target some hotels more than others and they 'love' to see that foreigners are staying there that have not been registered with the TM30 - This allows 'negotiating power' for future free stays at that hotel (for Immigration and 'friends of')....

Thus some hotels want to do things 100% above board and officially so they don't have to bend over to this type of behavior. 

Not sure how that makes it difficult for others - I did offer my Licence/s and to show a copy of Resident's Certificate on phone - they wanted Passport only.  Khrapp hotel anyway - we wont be staying there again.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You're not dealing with Immigration - you are dealing with hotel stall whose job it is to do their job and you are making that more difficult for them because you are 'trouble and grumpy' !!!... 

If they ask specifically for a passport - just give it to them...   what harm could that possible come to ??? 

You are scared that Immigration know you went to xx place on a 3 day break ???

Over the last year or so we have stayed in many hotels - only one hotel asked - and they backed off and all was good.

You clearly like telling everyone else what to do - stickler for the rules or something?

And I am grumpy !  She is trouble !!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Over the last year or so we have stayed in many hotels - only one hotel asked - and they backed off and all was good.

And 'they backed off'....    Lovely... You force hotel staff to 'back off'....   very classy.... 

You clearly like telling everyone else what to do - stickler for the rules or something?

No...   I just don't feel I am above the regulations....  You seem to think rules are for everyone else and not you.

And I am grumpy !  She is trouble !!

So funny...     

• Agree 1

On 4/11/2024 at 10:20 AM, digbeth said:

Some hotels won't let you check in with just Thai driver license now, 'policy is for passport' 

What exactly is required of them in order to report T.M. 30? the passport number on driving license might not be current is understandable

for hotels that is this strict about reporting I doubt pink ID card would be acceptable too, it's not like they can put you down as a Thai person checking in

Find a different hotel.  FYI, I normally let my wife do check-ins and when we use to travel I can't remember a time where I was asked for a passport.  A Thai issued DL IS official identification.  A pink card is not.

Edited by connda
  • Love It 1

5 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

How does that even relate, going abroad obviously does not create new TM30's, as it is not the same as when one travels domestic.

I can confirm that CM is rogue in this way, and they often want a fresh new TM30 again, if you also came there to extend. If I would fly abroad and come back, you are right, usually they are fine with the old one. The last time they wanted me to a new TM30 as well because I submitted myself without any end date, as it is our house. Then they wanted to see one with an end date (makes zero sense but whatever).

I don't know where you're getting your information. I've been using CM Imm Office since moving to CM province in 2016 from BKK and based on MY experience with CM and that of my 2 friends experience when they returned from overseas earlier this year, and the question I asked when I did my annual extension last week, CM do NOT require a new TM30 when you return to the same permanent address.  Also TM30 does not have provision for an end date on it. The same applies when you travel domestically. My TM30 is dated 2016, and I've travelled out of province domestically regularly since my TM30 was issued and NEVER been asked for a new one.

Apparently this used to be a CM requirement for both international & domestic travel, but one that I've never been asked to provide.

However, as I now have a new passport, hence a different passport number, I will get a new TM30 in August when I return from Vietnam so my current passport number is reflected on it, and that is the ONLY reason I will be doing so.

On 4/11/2024 at 12:19 PM, Will B Good said:

Pretty sure you don"t have to do that anymore.....and I have never done it.

Some offices still require a TM30 report when you've travelled outside your district, Chiang Mai is one. I'm glad most don't.

• Confused 1

On 4/11/2024 at 10:45 AM, DrJack54 said:

Why is that an issue.

My bank also requires my pp for simple withdrawal. 

No issue. 

It's an issue... I only take my passport when absolutely essential. A few days trip out of Hua Hin shouldn't need a friggn passport. 

TIT 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

It's an issue... I only take my passport when absolutely essential. A few days trip out of Hua Hin shouldn't need a friggn passport. 

TIT 

Very silly attitude. 

BTW what do you use for counter transaction at your bank. 

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Very silly attitude. 

BTW what do you use for counter transaction at your bank. 

Silly? 5555. Uhmmm.. No... Practical! As for the bank... I use electronic services 99% of the time. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

Silly? 5555. Uhmmm.. No... Practical! As for the bank... I use electronic services 99% of the time. 

Waste of time back and forth with someone wanting to play their own rules.

Most hotels require pp for check in.

Posts in thread re wife check in only apply those traveling with Thai.

Many do not.

After Songkran I will attend bank to obtain bank cheque for condo purchase. 

I will require pp at bank and also Land office. 

This thread is 3 pages of nonsense. 

Check in to a hotel provide your passport.

Simple. 

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, quake said:

What a stupid thing to say.

What part of hotel requesting you pp for check in don't you understand. 

Hotels have a legal obligation to do a TM30 report.

To meet that they require your pp. 

Just now, DrJack54 said:

What part of hotel requesting you pp for check in don't you understand. 

Hotels have a legal obligation to do a TM30 report.

To meet that they require your pp. 

I understand that.

But can you show me all the posts i posted where nonsense.

because that is what you have stated.

( three pages of nonsense) that was your words.

• Thumbs Up 1