Advice for cheapest funeral of farang husband in NE outer Bangkok area for Thai widow.

cliveshep

46 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Soon as a death is notified I understand the bank accounts are frozen.

How would the banks know?

I have accounts with Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn.

Who would be notifying every bank of my death in case I held an account with them?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, gomangosteen said:

Who would be notifying every bank of my death in case I held an account with them?

If Thailand is part of the central banking system they probably know how many times you use your toilet

Seriously, IMO all the banks are connected to the government now because they invented that "money laundering scam.

Soon as they find out someone is dead they just put the name into a computer and voila.

If they weren't before, now farangs are liable for tax they certainly will be.

Does no one think to look with google?

About 519,000 results (0.26 seconds) 

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=cost+of+a+basic+cremation+in+thailand

How much does it cost to be cremated in Thailand?

More seriously, a local cremation around here costs one or two thousand baht but the cost can increase based on what the family want, extra;s such as flowers, laying in state for a week, a formal burial with lots of people/parking/seating etc all cost more. FWIW I'm planning on 5k baht for mine.31 May 2017
  • Love It 1

A cremation with a celebrant involved who can perform a 5,000 baht ceremony. Do not under any circumstances get the monks or the temples involved, they overcharge to an exorbitant degree, and the ceremonies are very boring. 

• Agree 1

I don't know if this will help, but I made a Living Will. In it, I expressed all my wishes, like no unnecessary medical treatment, want to die at home, modest funeral et al. I'm still alive so I don't know if it was effective or not at stopping the rape of the widow when Papa cracks. 

The Living Will was written at a lawyer's, translated into English and Thai and has been lodged with other wills at the Embassy. 

If a signatory to the account then no problem, just transfer the funds before reporting you died.  Doubt if anyone is going to care.   

Funerals / bbq cost as much as you want to spend.   No need for a party.

• Agree 1

A lot of great advice so far on this serious topic.

And kudos for to the OP for his forethought and planning.

My wife doesn't like to think of such things and certainly won't talk about.

But, is there any room behind the shed?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

If she transfers the money to her account she could be accused of theft.  Draw up a Will and provide a copy to the main branch where you opened the account.

Not sure if a bank will accept a copy of a will.

51 minutes ago, ignore it said:

A lot of great advice so far on this serious topic.

And kudos for to the OP for his forethought and planning.

My wife doesn't like to think of such things and certainly won't talk about.

But, is there any room behind the shed?

I like it! Several of my Thai Mrs' Thai women friends have been left in debt following the deaths from alcoholism of their farang husbands. Determined I wasn't going to do that to her she has taken out Life Insurance on/for me with ThaiLife.com. 

I've helped a few Thai widows trying to retrieve money from a deceased farang estate. It can be difficult even with the death certificate, will leaving everything to the widow and proof of death. If there is the slightest irregularity, the banks will jack up and it can take years to finally access the money. One bank insisted that the widow get a death certificate from Australia for their partner who died in Thailand. Another bank defied an order from a Thai court that executed the estate (the husband died without a valid will) and ordered the money released to the widow.

I would suggest that the widow has the necessary access and knowledge to transfer enough funds to handle the immediate funeral and 12 months living costs

20 hours ago, transam said:

Funerals in the UK are usually simple jobs, it is very different in LOS.

Have you never seen the handing out of envelopes, the parties, the vigils and food at the Temple....? 🤗

Yes, but he's a foreigner and made it clear he wants the simplest funeral.

You can get a no-frills funeral including the return of ashes in an urn in the UK for 1300 GBP.

He could easily have a full Thai-style funeral for that here.

A lot cheaper if he follows Sheryl's link and suggestion.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cliveshep said:

and that I have instructed her to clear my account on my death.

Unfortunately, legally, you do not have the authority for that "instruction" to be acted upon, administration (probate), determined by the court here, does that, just as in the UK.   Neither can your wife, legally, clear the account after your death, regardless of what a bank manager tells you or, wrongly, allows your widow to do.  Some people do get away with it though.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

Funerals are for live people,  not dead people.   Next to Preachers and Politicians, it is the biggest rip-off in history.  You are dead “teats-up”.  Why do u care?    Have her take you on a one way fishing trip and pocket the THB.

A no frills cremation at a temple in Bangkok will run you about 10-15k.

Ashes/bones will be handed over in a cloth bag in a box. 

Scattering the ashes in the river (taking a boat out from the pier at Pakred) is well under 5k. Even cheaper if it's at a temple outside of Bangkok. It's free if you find access to a  river without watchful eyes. 

Edited by CecilM
More info.
  • Agree 1

About 12 months ago a Canadian I knew died.

A friend of his handled his affairs.

The cost of his cremation at a local Temple in Surin was 50,000.

It was a quiet affair and quite dignified.

When Thai start talking about hundreds of thousands.

It is for the big party.

22 hours ago, brianthainess said:

It will cost about 1k per person that attends IME and that was with food, my wife organized for my mate that died 20k covered the whole thing,  it its not the cremation that is the cost, its getting the body returned from the Police Forensics but that only cost 43k and that was to Koh Chang including the coffin. The cremation ceremony  itself if done at a Buddhist temple is a 3 day affair, 1st day chanting, second day cremation, next day when the ashes have cooled down your bones are smashed up. It all seems pretty mandatory. From what I have heard just a cremation costs just 5K.

You could contact the company below and get one of their forms, its all the paperwork, embassy, death cert that is a pain if you do it yourself, let them do all the leg work your death will also have to be registered at your local Amphur before they release the body, this company were very professional. Where it says other just put the name of the Temple you want. Edit this was one recommended to me by the OZ embassy. 

IMG_20231218_170207.thumb.jpg.f35bc7e4459de83197ff00ae84356cd0.jpg

Thanks Brian, just what I need.

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2024 at 10:35 PM, Denim said:

Pondering this myself , and how there could be a problem with my wife accessing my bank funds , we bought a safe which I have installed at home.

Two thirds of my funds are now in this safe and my bank account is kept at around 100,000 which she can empty with my ATM card on my demise.

If your house is secure it is worth considering. If you need the money for your extension just put it back in your account 2 months before you apply.

Just make sure you don't kick the bucket during this period.

72d5fd612ef85e8e4ed6307d338673bd.png_2200x2200q80.png_.webp

same idea ,,,,,

on a Non-O Marriage ?  you could keep funds in a joint account ..  and transfer  back to to your personal acct  for the two months necessary ..   not 100% but it covers for 83% of your time      

4 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

same idea ,,,,,

on a Non-O Marriage ?  you could keep funds in a joint account ..  and transfer  back to to your personal acct  for the two months necessary ..   not 100% but it covers for 83% of your time      

I asked about this at our bank.

They said if one of the account holders dies then legally they are obliged to freeze the joint account until probate has been completed. 

They just advised that if my wife was given my account pin number she could just withdraw cash from my account until it was empty. This is illegal and they know it but TIT.

If doing this anyway , best to learn how to make cardless withdrawals.

The safe I bought is bolted and glued to the floor out of sight. Easy to use and bypasses the bank altogether. Not like I'm losing a fortune in interest.

On 4/12/2024 at 7:54 PM, NativeBob said:

Can foreigner "donate" his remains to museum? Thais can do and that considers as "tamboon", but foreigner?
That would clear a lot of hassle and maybe be beneficial to students to study [say] farang's liver and cohones?

My Lord bob, that's horrible....hahaha. We all die, whats the big deal? Give her the money now, let her do what she likes with it. If she is Thai and she truly cares about it all, she will save enough to take care of it.

33 minutes ago, rexpotter said:

My Lord bob, that's horrible....hahaha. We all die, whats the big deal? Give her the money now, let her do what she likes with it. If she is Thai and she truly cares about it all, she will save enough to take care of it.

Actually not a bad Idea, and best use of any remains, after any salvageable organs are donated.  Donate to a medical Uni for hands on experience while learning 👍

Though bob could have left out half his reply :coffee1:

On 4/13/2024 at 7:52 AM, gomangosteen said:

Agree the banks are not informed ever, I had my mates ATM card and PIN as he was too disabled to use an ATM, I used to withdraw money for him every month, he had little in the bank, he had no family here, just a carer, illegal or not, with his overseas sister saying it was OK and I had a letter of Attorney, from her, (never needed that to show anybody) On his demise I took out 100k and paid his hospital bill, funeral directors, and his cremation, total was around 70k, his sister said I could keep any money left, 6 months later I withdrew the remaining funds, of around 20k.  

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Denim said:

I asked about this at our bank.

They said if one of the account holders dies then legally they are obliged to freeze the joint account until probate has been completed. 

Just don't tell the bank, you are not obliged to tell them. 

But you will need the letter from the probate family court to withdraw, not using an ATM.

My wife belongs to a 'Village Fund' that pays for a cremation , she tells me, that, she can borrow from that fund, to pay for my cremation, until my probate is finished, then pay it back.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/13/2024 at 7:58 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Soon as they find out someone is dead they just put the name into a computer and voila

And who tells them you are dead this is total BS.

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, CecilM said:

A no frills cremation at a temple in Bangkok will run you about 10-15k.

Ashes/bones will be handed over in a cloth bag in a box. 

Scattering the ashes in the river (taking a boat out from the pier at Pakred) is well under 5k. Even cheaper if it's at a temple outside of Bangkok. It's free if you find access to a  river without watchful eyes. 

We paid a friend 500b to take us out, in his small long fishing boat to scatter the ashes, but out of our local estuary to the 'sea' accompanied by two monks, putting them in the river is frowned upon here, because of tides and the people that live along the river, don't want ashes flowing past, and then back again. 

• Thanks 1