Advice for cheapest funeral of farang husband in NE outer Bangkok area for Thai widow.

cliveshep

23 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Just don't tell the bank, you are not obliged to tell them. 

But you will need the letter from the probate family court to withdraw, not using an ATM.

Not a problem any more since I bought the safe. No probate , no letters , no hassles.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Denim said:

Not a problem any more since I bought the safe. No probate , no letters , no hassles.

Of course there will be Probate, and an autopsy, unless nobody is told your dead and someone just disposes of you, but I think that would be slightly illegal :whistling:

On 4/13/2024 at 7:52 AM, gomangosteen said:

How would the banks know?

I have accounts with Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn.

Who would be notifying every bank of my death in case I held an account with them?

In U.K. banks receive notification of deaths from Registry Office. Don't know if same applies elsewhere.  

20 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

I've helped a few Thai widows trying to retrieve money from a deceased farang estate. It can be difficult even with the death certificate, will leaving everything to the widow and proof of death. If there is the slightest irregularity, the banks will jack up and it can take years to finally access the money. One bank insisted that the widow get a death certificate from Australia for their partner who died in Thailand. Another bank defied an order from a Thai court that executed the estate (the husband died without a valid will) and ordered the money released to the widow.

I would suggest that the widow has the necessary access and knowledge to transfer enough funds to handle the immediate funeral and 12 months living costs

Have you ever tried to apply for probate. (on behalf of a Thai widow) in the UK regarding a foreigner's estate ? He passed away without making a will and after 3 months she was able to access the funds in his Thai bank accounts. His only remaining asset in UK being a bank account into which his pensions etc were paid. They were legally married and she is 100% entitled but it seems an awfully involved procedure to ascertain executor/administrative authority !  

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 6:25 PM, it is what it is said:

sounds like you're doing the right things, the average cost of a uk funeral would be around 180,000 baht, so not sure where you get a figure of 400k from.

It's not about a UK funeral.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mancub said:

Have you ever tried to apply for probate. (on behalf of a Thai widow) in the UK regarding a foreigner's estate ? He passed away without making a will and after 3 months she was able to access the funds in his Thai bank accounts. His only remaining asset in UK being a bank account into which his pensions etc were paid. They were legally married and she is 100% entitled but it seems an awfully involved procedure to ascertain executor/administrative authority !  

Probate is a nightmare. Friend's husband had 2 UK bank accounts. They live in Germany, both are German. The bureaucracy was unbelieveable & it too 1 year to get probate. 

19 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Thanks Brian, just what I need.

Glad I could help. incidentally the fee that they charged me 43k was 2 trips to KC the first to take the death cert. to the Local Amphur to register his death, and they came to us for some of his clothes, so they could dress him before putting him in his coffin back in BKK, bit crazy really as its all burnt anyway, but 'tis the Buddhist way.  

Hopefully I'm crapping out at home (in my sleep) and instructed wife to just dig hole, and chuck my butt in it.   Don't tell a soul ... :coffee1:  Not even family back in USA.

"The Ahole left one day & never came back"

• Love It 1

Many thanks to the Op @cliveshep for starting this thread, very useful, sensible and probably timely for many of us, a good call-to-action to dedicate some thought and action to this delicate subject.

Some very useful responses, info and links.

Specifically happy with the link to Amar Retatriations, the idea of pre-paying for the cremation is perfect, takes a lot of burden off of grieving f&f.

5 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

In U.K. banks receive notification of deaths from Registry Office. Don't know if same applies elsewhere.  

Are you saying that when you register a death in UK, you must tell them which banks or other financial institutions the deceased used?

I think not.

22 hours ago, Letseng said:

Probate is a nightmare. Friend's husband had 2 UK bank accounts. They live in Germany, both are German. The bureaucracy was unbelieveable & it too 1 year to get probate. 

You need to do a UK will if you have any assets in the UK a bank account with money in it is an asset  then you need a Thai will if you have assets in Thailand the Thai will should be in Thai and English 

3 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

You need to do a UK will if you have any assets in the UK a bank account with money in it is an asset  then you need a Thai will if you have assets in Thailand the Thai will should be in Thai and English 

The UK does not have pay on death options for bank accounts?   AFAIK they do not require a will.

On 4/14/2024 at 3:57 PM, KannikaP said:

Are you saying that when you register a death in UK, you must tell them which banks or other financial institutions the deceased used?

I think not.

Not at all. You need to provide minimal information only to your local council registrar. However, the information goes onto a database (England and Wales in my case). National Health Service know about a death in a NHS hospital almost immediately. Internet access is withdrawn, bank account(s) closed at date of death and the bank(s) write to the executor of the deceased person asking what you wish to be done with the balance?   

cremation only should be around 30-40,000 at the most expensive Bangkok temples, what's expensive is the nightly service with the sala rental, the monk fees, flowers, catering

there are Christian denominated cremation site but most Christian churches just move the body to Buddhist crematorium after the service at their church

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

cremation only should be around 30-40,000 at the most expensive Bangkok temples, what's expensive is the nightly service with the sala rental, the monk fees, flowers, catering

there are Christian denominated cremation site but most Christian churches just move the body to Buddhist crematorium after the service at their church

Plus the food and drink for three days for people which I, the deceased, probably never met.

On 4/12/2024 at 7:54 AM, NativeBob said:

Can foreigner "donate" his remains to museum...That would clear a lot of hassle and maybe be beneficial to students to study farang's...cohones?

Will your estate also be donating a magnifying glass so that the students will be able to find them?

For information - my age precludes donation of my body and even if it did not being overweight with hypertension also would have precluded it.

I think I'll have to consider putting the lot into her personal a/c as soon as it is transferred from the UK every month and get it put back 2 months before extension of stay. So long as she keeps a tight rein on spending it should work as she is quite trustworthy albeit spends money if she can as any woman does. Preferable of course is to withdraw from my account straight away and not tell the bank I'm dead but if authorities do check and match date and time she could be in a world of grief and that scares her. 

Side note - does the 400,000 have to be in a bank or could it conceivably be in cash for Immigration?