Songkran

sambum

20 minutes ago, sambum said:

I see the latest brainwave to boost tourism from TAT has gone awry!

No, it's basically the same brainwave they have yearly w/ an added day and more events planned as it rolls around to different areas. It will successful in its own way. Unfortunately.

18 minutes ago, sambum said:

Their announcement that Songkran will last from 1st April to 21st April seems to have upset a few (Chinese) people who were expecting to go around soaking people for 3 weeks, only to find that "nobody is playing" yet! 🤣

Seems to me there was a report of ONE Chinese guy who misunderstood. No Chinese including him have reported any emotional upset, just your imagination. I get it that you don't like Songkran.

22 minutes ago, sambum said:

I'm staying on my balcony with the fan on full blast with a couple of cold beers, and let the "revellers" get on with it! 🙂 

Thank you for sharing. Many expats and even touists avoid the water throwing. In Pattaya it's difficult to stay inside for 9 days. However, conditions have much improved in recent years so travel by motorbike (for shopping, restos, etc.) is pretty safe if you manage to avoid passing by any concentration of beer bars.

Next.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, BigStar said:

No, it's basically the same brainwave they have yearly w/ an added day and more events planned as it rolls around to different areas. It will successful in its own way. Unfortunately.

Seems to me there was a report of ONE Chinese guy who misunderstood. No Chinese including him have reported any emotional upset, just your imagination. I get it that you don't like Songkran.

Thank you for sharing. Many expats and even touists avoid the water throwing. In Pattaya it's difficult to stay inside for 9 days. However, conditions have much improved in recent years so travel by motorbike (for shopping, restos, etc.) is pretty safe if you manage to avoid passing by any concentration of beer bars.

Next.

No, it's not the same brainwave - according to the publication that can not be name on here, the Min of Tourism & Sports and TAT announced on Mar 12 that the 3 WEEK MAHA SONGKRAN WATER FESTIVAL would begin on April 1st in Chiang Mai and wrap up on Apr 21 in Chon Buri and Samut Prakan (which is open to being misconstrued/misunderstood due to the poor wording)

The Chinese guy was upset, poor thing because he had nobody to play with! (Not just my imagination!)

And I used to like Songkran about 15 years ago, but I admit, I don't like what Songkran has become due to irresponsible behaviour from a few ill informed "farangs" who continue to "fight" long after sundown!

However, I'm pleased that things have improved for you in Pattaya, but I do think that 9 days is far too long - IMHO 2 to 3 is enough!

Next! 🙂

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, sambum said:

Their announcement that Songkran will last from 1st April to 21st April seems to have upset a few (Chinese) people who were expecting to go around soaking people for 3 weeks, only to find that "nobody is playing" yet! 🤣

And another Government adviser is telling the would be revellers to "be patient"! 

Personally, I won't be leaving the house tomorrow (13th) which is the main "Dousing Day" where I live, and I've had too many buckets of iced water thrown in my face by drunken tourists who don't seem to realise that to do it to someone while they are riding a motor bike is DANGEROUS!

Add to that, the washing up liquid, and other irritants to the eyes, and no thanks - been there - done that, so I'm staying on my balcony with the fan on full blast with a couple of cold beers, and let the "revellers" get on with it! 🙂 

You are now officially my hero.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, sambum said:

And another Government adviser is telling the would be revellers to "be patient"! 

Personally, I won't be leaving the house tomorrow (13th) which is the main "Dousing Day" where I live, and I've had too many buckets of iced water thrown in my face by drunken tourists who don't seem to realise that to do it to someone while they are riding a motor bike is DANGEROUS!

Add to that, the washing up liquid, and other irritants to the eyes, and no thanks - been there - done that, so I'm staying on my balcony with the fan on full blast with a couple of cold beers, and let the "revellers" get on with it! 🙂 

Fun for everybody, even for you, on your balcony! 🥰

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

Fun for everybody, even for you, on your balcony! 🥰

Nah, not fun for everybody, not fun for me - my balcony is down a leafy soi far away from the "Madding Crowd", and going by a few of the comments on here, it is not fun for them either.

As I said earlier, it used to be fun, now it's a nightmare, made even worse by TAT's ridiculous idea of extending it to 21 days in some kind of attempt to "boost tourism". Are they thinking of trying to turn it into some  kind of bizarre "roadshow" travelling the country for 21 days?

The only "boost" I can think of is the increasing of the pharmacies' profits due to the sales of meds to counter effect the results of ingesting dirty water, "red eye",  and the resultant "sniffles" from the effects of the buckets of iced water.     

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, sambum said:

No, it's not the same brainwave - according to the publication that can not be name on here, the Min of Tourism & Sports and TAT announced on Mar 12 that the 3 WEEK MAHA SONGKRAN WATER FESTIVAL would begin on April 1st in Chiang Mai and wrap up on Apr 21 in Chon Buri and Samut Prakan (which is open to being misconstrued/misunderstood due to the poor wording)

No, your brainwaves have confused WATER FESTIVAL with WATER THROWING. The FESTIVAL is a bunch of newly added events around the country. The official Wan Lai days have remained the same as they've always been.

Read the announcement from TAT and the list of events throughout the country at the link:

Songkran in Thailand is officially observed as a three-day national holiday from 13-15 April, although celebrations can take place at different time and go on for longer. Here’s only some of the Songkran festivals in Bangkok and the five regions that we have selected for tourists to enjoy.

In celebration of the ‘Songkran in Thailand’ being recognised by UNESCO as an Intangible Cultural Heritage, nationwide celebrations are set to be even more amazing to illustrate the rich culture and tradition of the Thai New Year.

--https://www.tatnews.org/2024/03/celebrating-unesco-listed-songkran-in-thailand-and-other-festivals-throughout-april-2024/

17 hours ago, it is what it is said:

i'm out for the 'festivities' too many idiots, thai and foreign. most of my thai friends dislike the excessive water throwing activities too and hunker down or go abroad on holiday. throwing water is 'fun' for about 30 minutes, after that it just gets repetitive and boring. but, everyone to their own.

I agree. It was unique and interesting for a short while on my first Songkran 17 years back. My intro was my motorbike taxi driver and myself getting buckets of water full in the face on the way to the main Pattaya celebration. Ended up hating the festering thing by the time I'd managed to make my way back to Jomtien. Took me hours and was a miserable experience. Have been caught twice more in my time here, once when I went to pick up my daughter from Bang Saen and got stuck in the procession, the other time was when I went to Kanchanaburi to escape Pattaya Songkran and accidentally ended up in their bar district. Didn't realise it was so close to the war museum and cemetary.

1 hour ago, AreYouGerman said:

I was 20 at the first Songkran and I never touched so many titties from all kind of nations before. Best fun ever... it got worse once a gang of ladyboys tried to remove my swimming shorts. 🤣

Anyway, where are all the people "it's their country, they can do what they want and you better stfu now". 😅 Just kidding, I understand once you get older, you don't enjoy the same things but you said it correctly, it was fun for you at one point too. Let others have their fun and don't go full boomer mode, you are safe on your balcony!

You said it well. The AN boomers don't like it because they are old and extremely grumpy and generally hate their lives here. Songkran is a time of happiness and fun. I just got home from a few hours around Bangkok with my son - my 28th Songkran and still love it. You see the occasional old doddery boomer getting angry but that just makes it more fun. Either go with the flow and join the fun or stay at home and be miserable, don't combine the two. Songkran is a pretty special festival for more than 99% of people. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BigStar said:

No, your brainwaves have confused WATER FESTIVAL with WATER THROWING. The FESTIVAL is a bunch of newly added events around the country. The official Wan Lai days have remained the same as they've always been.

Read the announcement from TAT and the list of events throughout the country at the link:

Songkran in Thailand is officially observed as a three-day national holiday from 13-15 April, although celebrations can take place at different time and go on for longer. Here’s only some of the Songkran festivals in Bangkok and the five regions that we have selected for tourists to enjoy.

In celebration of the ‘Songkran in Thailand’ being recognised by UNESCO as an Intangible Cultural Heritage, nationwide celebrations are set to be even more amazing to illustrate the rich culture and tradition of the Thai New Year.

--https://www.tatnews.org/2024/03/celebrating-unesco-listed-songkran-in-thailand-and-other-festivals-throughout-april-2024/

"No, your brainwaves have confused WATER FESTIVAL with WATER THROWING."

Well, I have lived here for nearly 20 years and if my "brainwaves have confused WATER FESTIVAL with WATER THROWING", then I wonder how confused the tourists visiting for "Songkran in Thailand" are? Maybe it should be renamed as "Even more amazing confusing Thailand".

I would also like to suggest that the "even more amazing nationwide celebrations" are far from being "amazing" - more like an  Oktoberfest street party with water being thrown about instead of beer!

Loads of fun in my 20’s….

Since then, it was fun in a ‘family’ way with my Son & other friends & families…

In recent years the Songkran festivities involve BBQ’s a friends houses…

Currently on day two & already have the meat sweats !!!

It’s a great time of year - I just hope the we don’t end up wiping out one of those nutty (helmetless) motorcyclists jumping lights while we’re on the way home this evening…. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

You said it well. The AN boomers don't like it because they are old and extremely grumpy and generally hate their lives here. Songkran is a time of happiness and fun. I just got home from a few hours around Bangkok with my son - my 28th Songkran and still love it. You see the occasional old doddery boomer getting angry but that just makes it more fun. Either go with the flow and join the fun or stay at home and be miserable, don't combine the two. Songkran is a pretty special festival for more than 99% of people. 

"The AN boomers don't like it because they are old and extremely grumpy and generally hate their lives here."

Old I may be, and maybe grumpy at times, but I -  and probably thousands of others - certainly don't hate our lives here. In most cases (99%?) we prefer life here, but we are "entitled" to have our opinions about things that we don't agree with (as mentioned many times on AN!) 

And I find the fact that you find it entertaining that "an old doddery boomer" (what is that by the way?) gets angry quite telling of your personality. You probably find it entertaining to see a motorcyclist get knocked off his bike by a bucket full of water in the face? I suppose that "makes it more fun"?

And the REAL meaning of Songkran:-

Songkran
250px-Songkran_in_Wat_Kungthapao_03.jpg
New Year celebration, Rot Nam Dam Hua, a traditional celebration of elders
Official name Songkran Festival
Observed by Thailand
Significance Marks the Thai New Year
Begins 13 April
Ends 15 April
Date April 13
Frequency Annual
Related to South and Southeast Asian solar New Year
Songkran in Thailand, traditional Thai New Year festival
250px-Thailand_004_%283679577930%29.jpg
People performing water pouring on Buddha statues during Songkran in Wat Pho, Bangkok

Thank you for your understanding!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, sambum said:

Well, I have lived here for nearly 20 years and if my "brainwaves have confused WATER FESTIVAL with WATER THROWING", then I wonder how confused the tourists visiting for "Songkran in Thailand" are? Maybe it should be renamed as "Even more amazing confusing Thailand".

We know of ONE Chinese, obviously confused but w/o sign of being upset.

No evidence of anything "awry."

Anyone who looks at the schedule can see what activities are scheduled during this year's extended Songkran period in the area they're visiting--and note that they are various ceremonies, shows, presentations, etc.

Pattaya's extended 9-day water throwing should be the only real surprise, but after all it doesn't go on for the entire month. Anyone reading about Pattaya beforehand should be aware it's unique. 

So far tourism seems up and this year's extended Songkran on track to be a success. The new format will probably continue going forward.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, BigStar said:

We know of ONE Chinese, obviously confused but w/o sign of being upset.

No evidence of anything "awry."

Anyone who looks at the schedule can see what activities are scheduled during this year's extended Songkran period in the area they're visiting--and note that they are various ceremonies, shows, presentations, etc.

Pattaya's extended 9-day water throwing should be the only real surprise, but after all it doesn't go on for the entire month. Anyone reading about Pattaya beforehand should be aware it's unique. 

So far tourism seems up and this year's extended Songkran on track to be a success. The new format will probably continue going forward.

The Government seemed to deem it necessary to apologise for the confusion that the annoucement by themselves and TAT caused - that's how clear it was to everybody! And another publication reported "widespread panic" among the ex pat community!

However, like Songkran in my neck of the woods, this difference of opinion is "all played out", so I won't be making any further comment except to say that I hope that your heroes at TAT are pleased with your performance:-

"So far tourism seems up and this year's extended Songkran on track to be a success. The new format will probably continue going forward." Spoken like a true loyal employee!

Edited by sambum
Deleted unnecessary text

43 minutes ago, sambum said:

"So far tourism seems up and this year's extended Songkran on track to be a success. The new format will probably continue going forward." Spoken like a true loyal employee!

Well, the truth hurts, don't it? Just gon' have to suck it up, pal. As I do--I don't care for Songkran either, like all long-term expats in Pattaya. Be great if they abolished it except for the classic Thai cultural bit w/ the monks and all.

I never took part in the water splash games, but I am happy when other people are happy so Songkran atmosphere make me happy. I am also happy when I see little kids up on pickup truck or in the sidewalk throwing water to casual people.

We should relax our nerves and understand happiness.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Well, the truth hurts, don't it? Just gon' have to suck it up, pal. As I do--I don't care for Songkran either, like all long-term expats in Pattaya. Be great if they abolished it except for the classic Thai cultural bit w/ the monks and all.

"Well, the truth hurts, don't it?" ? I ain't gonna bite or suck anything!!

As the song goes, as far as my home goes "It's all over now" Back to normality!

Edited by sambum

40 minutes ago, sambum said:

"Well, the truth hurts, don't it?" ? I ain't gonna bite or suck anything!!

As the song goes, as far as my home goes "It's all over now" Back to normality!

Only til next year. Then, the same extended Songkran, as you'll see. Heard it here first. 🙂 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BigStar said:

Only til next year. Then, the same extended Songkran, as you'll see. Heard it here first. 🙂 

But we didn't have an "Extended Songkran" in our "neck of the woods"! And I don't expect we will have next year!

Remember - heard it here first!!! 😀

Edited by sambum

1 hour ago, sambum said:

But we didn't have an "Extended Songkran" in our "neck of the woods"! And I don't expect we will have next year!

Remember - heard it here first!!! 😀

But your neck of the woods isn't the location referenced in your OP and thus the object of your knickers, or diapers, soiling. What Chinese in your neck of the woods were expecting to go around soaking people for 3 weeks--in your fantasy, as only one is known to have started early? TAT's successful brainwave applies to the entire country, in particular places in the country as listed here:

https://www.tatnews.org/2024/03/celebrating-unesco-listed-songkran-in-thailand-and-other-festivals-throughout-april-2024/

On 4/12/2024 at 6:40 PM, sambum said:

Since it seems this year's extended Songkran was successful throughout the country generally, in the areas listed here:

https://www.tatnews.org/2024/03/celebrating-unesco-listed-songkran-in-thailand-and-other-festivals-throughout-april-2024/

so I informed you--for the sake of your knickers--that they're just going to follow the same brainwave next year, which, as it turns out, has nothing to do with you anyway, LOL. Just needed a little attention, I guess.

All clear now?

Edited by BigStar

3 minutes ago, BigStar said:

But your neck of the woods isn't the location referenced in your OP and the object of your knickers, or diapers, soiling. What Chinese in your neck of the woods were expecting to go around soaking people for 3 weeks--in your fantasy, as only one is known to have started early? TAT's successful brainwave applies to the entire country, in particular places in the country as listed here:

Since it seems this year's extended Songkran was successful throughout the country generally, in the areas listed here:

so I informed you--for the sake of your knickers--that they're just going to follow the same brainwave next year, which, as it turns out, has nothing to do with you anyway, LOL. Just needed a little attention, I guess.

All clear now?

I didn't mention any location in my OP as well you know, and I find your tone merely argumentative! ("Knickers or diapers soiling"? "...for the sake of your knickers..." which, as it turns out, has nothing to do with you anyway" Is there really any need for such childish baiting?

I've already intimated that "It's all over now", but you seem determined to extend this by posting in a manner that you know is likely to offend, and by singing the praises of TAT and their achievements in the hope of getting a response.  

Well, like a lot of posters, you really must have the last word mustn't you? Well "Have I got news for you?" Bye bye - "Auf Wiedersehn Pet" you are now "Ignored"

• Agree 1