25 killed, 248 injured in road accidents on first day of Songkran travel

snoop1130

Road safety is a public health problem.

Just looking at road deaths over the last decade will show that around 50 to 60 die every day on day roads.

This figure  doesn't change significantly over Songkhran or New Year holiday periods.

The publicity by the authorities every year are more or less the same 

The only conclusion you can draw is that they have got it wrong yet every year without fail they do the same thing again.

A common definition of insanity has been  "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." The Thsi authorities should bare this in mind.

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, chricha said:

Yes the statistics published are conveniently prompt with little connection with reality but rather a PR exercise.

We did a lot of crawling at 10-20km/h on route 4 south as it's under construction for 20 years I'm told!

Having driven on Wednesday from Khao Kho to Bangkok and then on Thursday to Prachuap Kiri Khan (past Hua Hin) I was horrified at how many near accidents occurred.

1. because idiots insist on cutting right from the left lane because you are waiting in line with other cars but they are too important to wait so they try to hit your left bumper to make a gap. I am good enough to avoid a collision and give up in disgust but I'll bet many are not prepared to give in resulting in accidents

2. because the "roadwork ahead" signs are none existent! 

Travelling at 100-120km/h in traffic past trucks the last thing you need on a bend is traffic almost stopped before the merge left sign with no prior signage to indicate a roadwork hazard is approaching.

A "near accident" is by definitionn not an accident.

Personal a scooter is subject to confirmation bias and the lowest form of evidence.

Edited by kwilco

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

This this a pathetic non-argument by someone who doesn't have an argument themselves...its called sea-lioning.

If you are going to make a counter argument, back it up with evidence of your own.

I’m asking you to back up your claims. Clearly you cannot so you resort to a personal attack. Pretty lame. We have a saying, “put up or shut up”.

16 minutes ago, SmartyMarty said:

I’m asking you to back up your claims. Clearly you cannot so you resort to a personal attack. Pretty lame. We have a saying, “put up or shut up”.

No you''re not your just trying to disagree in a very non-intellectual way because for one reason or another you don't believe that person.

THis is a chat forum.

the evidence to back this shirt of stuff up is available online to everyone. If you just take the time to educate yourself there is no need to ask silly questions or sea lion people. (BTW not my [post - I'm just fed up with people who can't reasonably take part in a discussion.. .. due to lack of basic knowledge.

THe Stats for Thai road safety stretch back over 20 years - I would have thought you'd be able to see for yourself how these things are recorded.

Edited by kwilco
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, cookie1974 said:

Thats only day one, when drink driving rules are not enforced against anyone with any conviction what do you expect?

Drink driving is only the third cause. Speeding and cutting in beat it.

I am being sarcastic because drink driving is the main cause for speeding and bad driving.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Moonlover said:

This has always been the case, holidays or not. And it's easy to see why. Most of the accidents involve motorcycles and took place between 4pm and 5pm. The commute home for both workers and school kids. It has little to do with holidays, it's the same all year round.

I have never heard of this 4 to 5pm timeframe got a link ...

What about motorcycle deaths centering around other shift changes, many companies work 24/7.

FWIW I work (6am to 5pm) in a large industrial estate between Pattaya and Bangkok.... would be 10's if not 100's of thousands of "workers".

On Friday it was a literal ghost town... very few companies opened and most will remain closed returning on 22/04.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

No you''re not your just trying to disagree in a very non-intellectual way because for one reason or another you don't believe that person.

THis is a chat forum.

the evidence to back this shirt of stuff up is available online to everyone. If you just take the time to educate yourself there is no need to ask silly questions or sea lion people. (BTW not my [post - I'm just fed up with people who can't reasonably take part in a discussion.. .. due to lack of basic knowledge.

THe Stats for Thai road safety stretch back over 20 years - I would have thought you'd be able to see for yourself how these things are recorded.

But you and your mate dispute the figures, but cannot provide evidence to the contrary. That’s my point. It doesn’t matter if deaths are counted differently here, they are official govt figures. I don’t need you to lecture me on how things work here; I’m well aware, informed AND impartial. I’ll leave the whining and hand wringing to others. 

18 minutes ago, SmartyMarty said:

But you and your mate dispute the figures, but cannot provide evidence to the contrary. That’s my point. It doesn’t matter if deaths are counted differently here, they are official govt figures. I don’t need you to lecture me on how things work here; I’m well aware, informed AND impartial. I’ll leave the whining and hand wringing to others. 

No we don't, it just seems you are too far down the intellectual food chain to understand that or even you own cognitive biases .. and now saddwst of all you are trying to change your goalposts

"Please post your link disproving the figures" is what ouyu said and that is what I'm saying is so pointless.

Edited by kwilco
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, kwilco said:

No we don't, it just seems you are too far down the intellectual food chain to understand that or even you own cognitive biases .. and now saddwst of all you are trying to change your goalposts

"Please post your link disproving the figures" is what ouyu said and that is what I'm saying is so pointless.

Haha you just proved my point, even though you slander me. You have nothing to back up your assertions re road toll other than a hunch. Pathetic. BTW there’s no such words as “saddwst ” and “ouyu”. I’m sure you can locate a good special needs school if you google it. I’ll help with the spelling. 

18 minutes ago, SmartyMarty said:

You have nothing to back up your assertions re road toll other than a hunch.

What hunch? Where do you get that? I'm talking about your inability to have an intelligent discussion. You are impossible to discuss with you now resort to clueless false dichotomies but you have no idea you are doing it. - so out of touch. You don't even understand my OP.

Edited by kwilco

6 minutes ago, kwilco said:

What hunch? Where do you get that? I'm talking about your inability to have an intelligent discussion. You are impossible to discuss with you now resort to clueless false dichotomies but you have no idea you are doing it. - so out of touch. You don't even understand my OP.

Still no backup facts. I’m tired of asking you for something (to back up your claim) you don’t have and have no intention of providing, simply because you went out on a limb then sawed off the very branch you perched on. Last comment. Does OP stand for “old prick” in your case?

On the highway the speeders are so bad. I’ve estimated they cause almost all of the accidents. Think about it. If a bunch of people are driving 80kph there’s not going to be accidents really. It’s these guys who get behind people and pressure them into moving that cause almost every accident.

And also, driving that fast is terribly fuel inefficient, which I’m convinced most people don’t even know! You lose about 30%of your gas going from 55 miles per hour to 80mph.

But hey, as long as they get to drive fast I guess it’s all ok, right. Endanger everybody ne else on the road and wreck the earth while you’re at it. We all pay for these speeders on the road I get so fing sick of them tbh 

6 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

On the highway the speeders are so bad. I’ve estimated they cause almost all of the accidents. Think about it. If a bunch of people are driving 80kph there’s not going to be accidents really. It’s these guys who get behind people and pressure them into moving that cause almost every accident.

And also, driving that fast is terribly fuel inefficient, which I’m convinced most people don’t even know! You lose about 30%of your gas going from 55 miles per hour to 80mph.

But hey, as long as they get to drive fast I guess it’s all ok, right. Endanger everybody ne else on the road and wreck the earth while you’re at it. We all pay for these speeders on the road I get so fing sick of them tbh 

There’s nothing worse than some slow fart driving in the wrong lane.

People dont understand  driving in the slightest. Sure there may be someone who is in the wrong lane from time to time, but from what I gather usually “slow drivers” using the “wrong lane” are simply passing… yet they are not passing quickly enough for what I’ll refer to as the accident causers. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Robert Paulson said:

People dont understand  driving in the slightest. Sure there may be someone who is in the wrong lane from time to time, but from what I gather usually “slow drivers” using the “wrong lane” are simply passing… yet they are not passing quickly enough for what I’ll refer to as the accident causers. 

Sorry Paul. Bad joke on my part. I realize the driving here isn’t what most foreigners are used to, but I am ok with it. When I made my move here I embraced everything about Thai culture and habits. I know that the more we want changes to reflect 1st world, the less enchanting life will be here. If my time is up due to some careless speeding drunk, that’s life. I love the chaos, the risks, the unknown. It’s what makes life interesting for me. 

13 hours ago, cookie1974 said:

Thats only day one, when drink driving rules are not enforced against anyone with any conviction what do you expect?

I don't understand what point you are trying to make .   Would you expect more rigorous enforcement of the rules to result in more deaths ?

9 minutes ago, SmartyMarty said:

Sorry Paul. Bad joke on my part. I realize the driving here isn’t what most foreigners are used to, but I am ok with it. When I made my move here I embraced everything about Thai culture and habits. I know that the more we want changes to reflect 1st world, the less enchanting life will be here. If my time is up due to some careless speeding drunk, that’s life. I love the chaos, the risks, the unknown. It’s what makes life interesting for me. 

Well said mate, too many here want to change this place into a clone of the miserable place they left. Why don't they just return from whence they came ? and leave the rest of us to take our chances in peace. 

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, SmartyMarty said:

I suppose you should embrace the slow drivers then as well. They are part of Thailand too. But I guess that part was just too inconvenient for you? Haha. Maybe as the other guy said,it’s you that needs to “go home”.

i wasn’t referring to Thailand anyway. A certain sect of drivers that compulsively NEEDS to be driving faster than any other car on the road, no matter how ridiculous the speed, are a danger to everyone and have serious mental issues imo

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

I suppose you should embrace the slow drivers then as well. They are part of Thailand too. But I guess that part was just too inconvenient for you? Haha. Maybe as the other guy said,it’s you that needs to “go home”.

i wasn’t referring to Thailand anyway. A certain sect of drivers that compulsively NEEDS to be driving faster than any other car on the road, no matter how ridiculous the speed, are a danger to everyone and have serious mental issues imo

Well, to be honest, slow drivers in the wrong lane is not unique to Thailand. I am just as likely to encounter that back in the UK. so wishing that people  driving  at a snail's place would at least keep out of the righthand lane ,is nothing to to with  wanting Thailand to become more like the UK (God Forbid)   But those people are a real nuisance, but  little attention is given to their contribution to accidents, not least by the frustration they cause in others. (rightly or wrongly) 

1 hour ago, Robert Paulson said:

They are not "simply passing" anything they obstructing everybody else and cause plenty of accidents themselves,  When all other vehicles are moving  in one direction at a similar speed,  any other vehicle operating  out of sync  Whether faster or slower is potentially more likely to cause  an accident 

Undoubtedly there would be less fatalities if we all drove at a snails pace, but that's not how things work in the real world

3 hours ago, SmartyMarty said:

Thai people are dying by the dozens on the roads, and you are more concerned about your lifestyle.

There's nothing enchanting about losing a loved one in a road accident.

Pray that you never need to find that out for real.

11 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Thai people are dying by the dozens on the roads, and you are more concerned about your lifestyle.

There's nothing enchanting about losing a loved one in a road accident.

Pray that you never need to find that out for real.

I see you have equipped yourself with the world’s smallest violin. Zero road deaths is an impossibility. After working with NZ govt road safety department and police for over 12 years, I’m well aware of the impacts on families etc. But I choose to live my life as fully as I can without endangering others.

• Thumbs Up 1