Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Air Asia

Over the last few days I have been planning/booking a trip to Dubai/Bahrain. Booked the Emirates part of it no problem, paying with my Bangkok Bank Debit Card.

Tried to book Air Asia, Phitsanulok to Don Mueng. On the PC I kept getting a message that there was a problem 'at our end, nothing to do with you', for two days.

Installed the Air Asia app on my phone and eventually got to the payment option, after three or four OTPs. Put in my card number, message saying cannot, contact your bank, whom I called and explained, only to be told that Air Asia DOES NOT accept Bangkok Bank debit cards. Had to do a direct bank transfer.

The ticket was originally advertised at Bht 900 but Bht 40 discount for using the app. Thank you! They had then included 20kg baggage, which I need, plus Insurance which I declined, plus Bht 50 for something I don't know, plus Bht 107 for the bank transfer. Total Bht 1480, from Bht 860. Unfortunatly there is no alternative. 

Rant over!

• Confused 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Yagoda said:

Air Asias app is not very user friendly.

Air Asia itself is certainly not user friendly either lol

Only used them once from Manila back to Bangkok 4 years ago and simply the smallest seats I have encountered and that includes the holiday charter flights I took to Europe early 1980's

Thank christ the flight was only half full and I could turn sideways

Edited by Chivas
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Air Asia itself is certainly not user friendly either lol

Only used them once from Manila back to Bangkok 4 years ago and simply the smallest seats I have encountered and that includes the holiday charter flights I took to Europe early 1980's

Thank christ the flight was only half full and I could turn sideways

Im normal sized, the seats are fine as as their service. Just their app sucks

2 hours ago, Yagoda said:

Im normal sized, the seats are fine as as their service. Just their app sucks

Well they weren't fine that day for someone 1.90m tall and not remotely fat !

• Agree 1

On 4/13/2024 at 12:13 PM, soi3eddie said:

I hate the way the airlines here add and preselect options. The advertised price should be available for all payment types. Sneaky and misleading. 

The practise was banned years in Europe, I believe.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/13/2024 at 12:05 PM, KannikaP said:

Over the last few days I have been planning/booking a trip to Dubai/Bahrain. Booked the Emirates part of it no problem, paying with my Bangkok Bank Debit Card.

Tried to book Air Asia, Phitsanulok to Don Mueng. On the PC I kept getting a message that there was a problem 'at our end, nothing to do with you', for two days.

Installed the Air Asia app on my phone and eventually got to the payment option, after three or four OTPs. Put in my card number, message saying cannot, contact your bank, whom I called and explained, only to be told that Air Asia DOES NOT accept Bangkok Bank debit cards. Had to do a direct bank transfer.

The ticket was originally advertised at Bht 900 but Bht 40 discount for using the app. Thank you! They had then included 20kg baggage, which I need, plus Insurance which I declined, plus Bht 50 for something I don't know, plus Bht 107 for the bank transfer. Total Bht 1480, from Bht 860. Unfortunatly there is no alternative. 

Rant over!

Most banks do not like Air Asia, we had a monetary problem last years with them trying to get money back. As you say unfortunately they have some monopoly but I wouldn't wish to use them again..

I avoid using Air Asia, mainly due to their poor customer service. I only book with them (either direct or via agency like Travelocity) if I'm sure I won't change my plans - because changes are not possible with Air Asia. Unless it's their mistake, for example one time they rebooked my connecting flight such that I left before getting there, I got them to fix that. There is no direct customer service access, only the stupid Bot. I found if I pleaded with the bot long enough it would eventually put me in a queue to message with a live person, but even at then they usually can't help with problems.

On 4/13/2024 at 4:43 PM, Chivas said:

Well they weren't fine that day for someone 1.90m tall and not remotely fat !

Also seat belts hardy reach around my waist and I am not fat , 70 kg . Catering for the smaller Asian  maybe ?

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 1:19 PM, bubblegum said:

Don't book direct. Use app's like kiwi. no charge for bank payments.

I booked an AirAsia flight on 3/31 for Buriram to DMK departing on Sept 5 and returning on the 8th. The cost without the payment processing fee was 2,284.62 baht. I just checked the price on Kiwi for the same flight times and seat selection. Here is the Price breakdown.

Your final price may consist of multiple one-way journeys purchased in different currencies. Exact prices may vary according to exchange rates.

Passengers                                              1,899.03

Base fare                                                  1,728.80

Kiwi.com service fee                                   171.01

Seating                                                      1,456.90

Seating                                                         335.01

Kiwi.com service fee                                 1,121.89

Total (THB)                                           3,355.93

Including all taxes, fees, surcharges and Kiwi.com service fees.

No payment processing fee but a 1,121.89 fee for seat selection.

• Thanks 1

Have had problems with payment to air Asia . Tried on phone didn't work , tried on iPad didn't work, tried on desktop and worked 🙄🙈

Their luggage is a con . I looked at return flights to KL from Roi et via bkk . Price was 7-7500 but return which thought was good . Then looked at baggage added to that . 20kg was 3500 bht ! 🫤

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, superal said:

Also seat belts hardy reach around my waist and I am not fat , 70 kg . Catering for the smaller Asian  maybe ?

More likely dwarves and midgets

I've been avoiding Air Asia ever since they failed to refund my flight that they cancelled during covid.  They promised a refund 4 years ago .... still waiting.

Needed to fly to Khon Kaen last week, and used Thai Airways rather than Air Asia even though I thought it would be more costly .... but as Thai includes checked luggage, meal and seat selection, it works out cheaper in practice.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 12:25 PM, Yagoda said:

Air Asias app is not very user friendly.

Don't use it use your Com at home. all them stupid Phone  Apps are a problem and not safe to use..

19 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

I've been avoiding Air Asia ever since they failed to refund my flight that they cancelled during covid.  They promised a refund 4 years ago .... still waiting.

Needed to fly to Khon Kaen last week, and used Thai Airways rather than Air Asia even though I thought it would be more costly .... but as Thai includes checked luggage, meal and seat selection, it works out cheaper in practice.

On short flights I've never wanted a meal and seat selection is not important.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

I used my BB debit card 3 weeks ago for a flight from Buriram to DMK.

Must have changed since then, then! I shall try again when I book my return.

Just trying but cannot even log onto Air Asia, it goes nowhere. Another agent quotes Bht 1350 as opposed to Bht 1890 I paid for outbound flight with AA, but only 15kg baggage @ Bht 350, I need 15kg. It total chaos!

Edited by KannikaP

4 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

I booked an AirAsia flight on 3/31 for Buriram to DMK departing on Sept 5 and returning on the 8th. The cost without the payment processing fee was 2,284.62 baht. I just checked the price on Kiwi for the same flight times and seat selection. Here is the Price breakdown.

Your final price may consist of multiple one-way journeys purchased in different currencies. Exact prices may vary according to exchange rates.

Last time I used it (2years ago) same price same everything except bank charges, maybe things have changed.

16 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

That's a flight I use 4 or 5 times a year . Sometimes Air Asia and sometimes Nok Air . Always booked direct with the airline . I have never thought about using an agency and having seen your statement I will not bother . However I do find the Air Asia booking site annoying when they load up all the extras up front . This is probably missed by some flyers . One Air Asia flight , Burriram to DMK , I had weighted my checked luggage at home and just under the allowance of 20 kg . At the check in it weighted 21 kg . Hit me for 400 baht over weight . There were some obese passengers on that flight who paid the same fare as me but my weight 72 kg and some of them must have been over 100 kg . No justice . Maybe airlines could set a weight allowance with a combination of luggage and personal weight .

Just looked at Nok Air and the Burriram to DMK return flight later this month and if taking the early morning flights it came to 

2060 baht . Carry on 7 kg , no check in luggage . Nok Air also add on the extras at the start and you have to edit . Without editing the cost was 3860 baht .

with AA you will never fly for the promoted price, even without food, bab, insurance, seat selection!!!

There is always the added cost for paying by bank transfer or credit card or 7/11. ++++

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, WilliamSmits said:

with AA you will never fly for the promoted price, even without food, bab, insurance, seat selection!!!

There is always the added cost for paying by bank transfer or credit card or 7/11. ++++

Agreed. The last few flights I've booked have been VietJet and Air Asia. Searched for price using SkyScanner which has directed me to Trip.com for the cheapest fare. I use my U.K. debit card MasterCard for payment, simply because I get 1% cash back. Seems an easier and cost free method of payment.

• Agree 1

Search via Skyscanner and you'll often find that the best deals are from Trip.com or Agoda. 

Also avoids the money-grabbing 57 baht pp per sector "processing fee" charged by Airasia if you book direct.

• Thanks 1

Even when your Thai card does work, it's unnecessarily painful with AirAsia.

They will send an OTP for verification even if you've used the same card with their app before and told them to save it for future use. I tried to book a flight with them while traveling and it took too much time to receive the SMS with the OTP from Thailand. So I had to waste quite a bit of time going through their convoluted booking process again later. No such problems with other apps like Agoda.