I got a Non-O single visa, but I would like to enter into visa exempt & use the visa later

2 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

No my question is not that. My question is about applying for a visa at a Thai embassy. 

Then that would depend on the nationality of your friend and where his application would be considered.

For example, on the basis of the SE Non Imm O based on retirement;

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/retirement-visa

Financial evidence showing monthly income of no less than 65,000 THB (£1,500) or having the current balance of 800,000 THB (£18,000), e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings
- Applicant’s recent official UK/Ireland bank statement shows your name, address (Screenshots are not accepted). For monthly income of last 3 months no less than £1,500/ month. 

https://washingtondc.thaiembassy.org/en/page/non-o-retirement

Recent bank statement showing the applicant's name and ending balance of no less than $30,000 or proof of monthly income of not less than $2,500/month) along with the current bank statement showing incoming income

9 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Then that would depend on the nationality of your friend and where his application would be considered.

Sorry, I should have made it clear. He is in the US (Chicago area) and would apply for a Non-O at the Chicago consulate. He does not draw any Social Security yet and lives off of his 401(k) savings. He has been to Thailand plenty of times and always goes on TV and gets an extension for 30 days. Apparently, he has a condo in the Jomtien area. He was asking if he could get a non-O and didn't have to apply for an extension. If possible, how many times can he get from the same consulate. He would like to stay in Thailand for six months, but not continuously. So, he is not interested in METVs. He was wondering if he could do it with a non-O, each time applying for a non-O, at the Chicago consulate. I told him I didn't know, and he could get an agent-assisted retirement that would allow him to stay as long as he wanted for up to one year.  

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

1 hour ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Sorry, I should have made it clear. He is in the US (Chicago area) and would apply for a Non-O at the Chicago consulate. He does not draw any Social Security yet and lives off of his 401(k) savings.

US dollars, I assume, not BHT?

The US Consulate in Chicago do not list the financial requirement for the Non Imm O, but it will be the same as the Embassy. Recent bank statement showing the applicant's name and ending balance of no less than $30,000 

If possible, how many times can he get from the same consulate.

He'd have to ask the Consulate that question.

He would like to stay in Thailand for six months, but not continuously. So, he is not interested in METVs. He was wondering if he could do it with a non-O, each time applying for a non-O, at the Chicago consulate. I told him I didn't know, and he could get an agent-assisted retirement that would allow him to stay as long as he wanted for up to one year.  

Why an agent, he has sufficient funds to deposit 800K in a Thai bank account and do the annual extensions himself. 1,900 BHT + re-entry permit.

17 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Why an agent, he has sufficient funds to deposit 800K in a Thai bank account and do the annual extensions himself. 1,900 BHT + re-entry permit.

He would make more from his investment in the US. Why would he put 800,000 baht in a Thai bank? I don't tell him to do something that will result in financial loss and is not a win-win situation for any party. 

US dollars, I assume, not BHT?

Obviously, in US dollars. 

The US Consulate in Chicago do not list the financial requirement for the Non Imm O, but it will be the same as the Embassy. Recent bank statement showing the applicant's name and ending balance of no less than $30,000 

Does anybody know if the money should be in a savings account or a 401(K) or IRA will be OK?

37 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Does anybody know if the money should be in a savings account or a 401(K) or IRA will be OK?

As long as the funds are immediately accessible, it should be OK.

38 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

He would make more from his investment in the US. Why would he put 800,000 baht in a Thai bank? I don't tell him to do something that will result in financial loss and is not a win-win situation for any party. 

And should he have a medical emergency?

9 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Settlement time when you sell a portion of your 401K is a few days. Not immediately available, like in checking or in savings. 

So his funds are in invested in an IRA account with a financial institution, not a bank.

I would transfer the required funds for the Non Imm O into a checking or savings account to be on the safe side.

Has he considered the Non Imm O-A visa?

6 hours ago, Liquorice said:

So his funds are in invested in an IRA account with a financial institution, not a bank.

I would transfer the required funds for the Non Imm O into a checking or savings account to be on the safe side.

Has he considered the Non Imm O-A visa?

401(K) is like an IRA, and he has IRAs as well. So, this is ruled out.He mentioned O-A and is looking into it; otherwise, he will continue to do whatever he is doing with TVs and extensions. He is thinking about taking a risk, sending his IRA statement for a non-O, and seeing what happens. 

12 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

401(K) is like an IRA, and he has IRAs as well. So, this is ruled out.He mentioned O-A and is looking into it; otherwise, he will continue to do whatever he is doing with TVs and extensions. He is thinking about taking a risk, sending his IRA statement for a non-O, and seeing what happens. 

It depends on how many Non O visas the consulate will issue without questioning numerous applications, and of course it depends on how many times he intends to visit Thailand each year and for how long.

The Non Imm O-A is a multi entry visa, valid for 1 year, each entry grants a stay of 1 year up to the expiry date, but is subject to the expiry date of the compulsory health insurance he must take out. He'll also require a criminal record check. If he enters just before the visa expiry date, he'll be granted a further one year stay and if he obtains a multi re-entry permit, he can come and go as he pleases for a second year. 

3 hours ago, Liquorice said:

The Non Imm O-A is a multi entry visa, valid for 1 year, each entry grants a stay of 1 year up to the expiry date, but is subject to the expiry date of the compulsory health insurance he must take out. He'll also require a criminal record check. If he enters just before the visa expiry date, he'll be granted a further one year stay and if he obtains a multi re-entry permit, he can come and go as he pleases for a second year. 

I talked to him. Apparently, he had an OA before COVID and abandoned it after they mandated health insurance. He says it is inconvenient for him to align his "permitted to stay" date with his health insurance expiration date. He gets his health insurance from the Federal Health Insurance Marketplace, and within two years he is going to switch to Medicare at 65. He stays for six months  but not continuously. Takes a break and goes back to the USA. I told him the best option for him was to get an agent-assisted extension. After the first year, it is around $30 per month. And yes, he has to pay for the months he is not in Thailand, but still, it is a bargain. Now, let him do whatever he wants to.