Seeking Computer Desk Recommendations.

BeastOfBodmin

Hi,

I landed in Thailand just under two weeks ago. Most of my stuff is still on a container ship, no doubt dodging Yemeni ordnance. I chucked away my existing computer desk and I need a replacement as the kitchen table is not sustainable ;). I also need a couple of chairs.

Can anyone recommend somewhere in the Sakon Nakhon city area and/ or online suppliers of such items?

My partner is Thai, so I suppose I can deal with lack of English.

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

From higher end desks that raise electronically but are expensive and waste of money IMO.

To something a lot more practical and may fit the aesthetics of the room in which you place the desk.

I have had my eye on a desk with motor/s, but my previous one did not have this feature.

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

One issue: I went for a desktop which was 'too long' i.e. the length of the desk is about 200cm... and it has started to bow slightly in the middle - its not something I noticed until the wife highlighted it, but that may bother some (and it does me now slightly (easily rectified with some bracing underneath the table, but we shouldn't need to do that).

I am guessing that if the legs are joined by a solid enough crossbar, then sag will not be a problem.

The desk I consigned to the skip two weeks ago looked like this (without motors or the third leg, though there were screw holes in the table top that would have corresponded to this third leg).

UPLIFT Curved Corner Standing Desk, 3-Leg

The "thin side" was good enough for my iMac, keyboard, mouse and me. My printer went onto the "wide side" and there was plenty of rom for bits and pieces, so something around 28"/ 70cm constant depth would be OK.

My SO suggests I get something custom made. Tempting, but dangerous...

On 4/14/2024 at 1:20 PM, freeworld said:

For in stores Officemate or Homepro (they have websites)

Online: Lazada th or shopee th.

Apart from the children's and very cheap desktops, all the Lazada ones are about 74mts tall. I'm looking for one about 10mts shorter but they seem to be non existent.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Apart from the children's and very cheap desktops, all the Lazada ones are about 74mts tall. I'm looking for one about 10mts shorter but they seem to be non existent.

Not sure what an "mts" is but in most cases shorter legs can easily be obtained with a saw if you find something you like.

36 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Not sure what an "mts" is but in most cases shorter legs can easily be obtained with a saw if you find something you like.

metres. Using a saw was the first thing I thought about but it is not just four legs, my desk does not have any legs, ie the space for the tower.

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

metres. Using a saw was the first thing I thought about but it is not just four legs, my desk does not have any legs, ie the space for the tower.

Most people do not need towers anymore so even a breakfast table could be cut down to fit or a flat table bought with enough room.  But perhaps have shophouse build to your specs if you can afford a reasonable priced solid wood unit?  They also have metal move around tables that a lot of people could use with adjustable height.  I use a normal wood table about 76cm high myself, with my arm resting on table from office chair so your 10cm or more lower seems very low indeed.  120x80cm table has plenty of room for 32" monitor/mini computer/printer/scanner/full size video security recorder and power outlets/ keyboard/mouse/ssd external/usb adaptor.  Could still find space for tower if needed.  Sit at angle so under table fully usable for trash/storage/drawers.  

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Most people do not need towers anymore so even a breakfast table could be cut down to fit or a flat table bought with enough room.  But perhaps have shophouse build to your specs if you can afford a reasonable priced solid wood unit?  They also have metal move around tables that a lot of people could use with adjustable height.  I use a normal wood table about 76cm high myself, with my arm resting on table from office chair so your 10cm or more lower seems very low indeed.  120x80cm table has plenty of room for 32" monitor/mini computer/printer/scanner/full size video security recorder and power outlets/ keyboard/mouse/ssd external/usb adaptor.  Could still find space for tower if needed.  Sit at angle so under table fully usable for trash/storage/drawers.  

I don't use a tower any more, I have an all in one, but the monitor sits about 5 or 6ins to high for my level of vision. I see lots of desk tops on Lazada, but they are all to high.

I will put your post in my "important" part of my browser for future ref. Thanks a lot.

On 4/14/2024 at 6:58 AM, BeastOfBodmin said:

Hi,

I landed in Thailand just under two weeks ago. Most of my stuff is still on a container ship, no doubt dodging Yemeni ordnance. I chucked away my existing computer desk and I need a replacement as the kitchen table is not sustainable ;). I also need a couple of chairs.

Can anyone recommend somewhere in the Sakon Nakhon city area and/ or online suppliers of such items?

My partner is Thai, so I suppose I can deal with lack of English.

Spec out a table height length width with without shelves, with without castors and then ask your partner to get quotes from local wood shop its unlikely that you will see your specs table in any shop and cost should be lower  and better quality than any shop bought

All DIY/Super Stores sell a selection of desks and chairs.

Do not rush into it until you've had a look around....

Where I am, DoHome has a great range of stuff.....😉

49 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Have you tried IKEA, they have computer desks and may deliver.

https://www.ikea.com/th/en/cat/desks-computer-desks-20649/

https://www.ikea.com/th/en/

The issue with IKEA is that they would charge about 2000 baht to deliver to his area.

Thus: HomePro is probably his best bet, he [the Op] can visit the store and physically see the size, height etc, and quality before ordering. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

That is a very tall table indeed. :whistling::coffee1:

• Haha 1