Thailand Records Total of 206 Deaths in 5 Days of ‘Songkran 7 Days Road Safety Campaign'

webfact

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

What I would like to see is a stat about the REAL number of people that becomes disabled for life and become a real burden to the Thai society because of this.

"Every year, about 1 million people become disabled and become a burden to the Thai society" (500 million baht according to this report).
Assuming that this number remains unchanged over the years, in 30 years time half of the Thai population would be disabled.

This assumption doesn't take into account the number of people which get disabled by other causes (Loss of limbs because of Diabetes and other diseases; Loss of limbs because of industrial accidents; People born disabled; etc.)

I can not believe that the Thai authorities haven't calculated this evolution.

Although you can argue the stats, most sources seem to tell a similar story. That is the cost of road crashes in Thailand is significant, reaching into the billions of baht.

Estimates suggest road crashes cost Thailand more than 500 billion baht annually, which is around 3% of the country's GDP. This data is from 2019 (pre Covid), so it might not be the most recent, but it nevertheless highlights the substantial economic burden.

It's important to consider that these figures likely only account for the measurable economic costs. The human cost of lost lives, injuries, and disabilities is less measurable.

An accident has many ramifications - Approximately 39 per cent of the deaths are family heads. This means that the death of one person puts 2.43 people per family in trouble financially and psychologically.

It is also a loss for Thailand's demography as the country enters an ageing society – families lose breadwinners, mothers and suffer great emotional stresses.

Insurance companies have to pick up the costs. From ambulance to long term care, or simply paying put for property damage,  a crash costs money

There’s a lot of confirmation bias involved in anecdotal “witnessing” of crashes in Thailand.

Take the Songkhran figures - There were a total of 2,203 road accidents reported over the 7 days of Songkran this year https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40026753.

This figure which is about the same for every New Year and Songkhran averages out at about 315 per day. BUT - This is SLIGHTY LESS than the average in the UK which has actual  death rates around 1/12th that of Thailand.  Accidents in UK are around 336 a day (e.g. - with 122,635 recorded in 2018.

So it is fair to ask – why such a difference in road deaths? One needs to consider the evidence before jumping tp conclusions that aren’t scientific or reasoned.

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

If it's secret, you shouldn't be driving.

Well if you are intending to quote me at least have the intelligence to choose some words that I actually wrote and it would also help if you posted what was written in its entirety, albeit by somebody else in this case,  It might help the rest of us figure out what on earth you are trying to say?

"If it's is a secret?       if what is a secret?             " You shouldn't be driving"   Why should the secrecy of whatever you are talking about have any bearing on whether I should be driving or not?  

I really expected better from our self appointed road safety expert and statistical analysis guru, whatever did they teach you on the one day , entry level ,basic road safety course you bought online from the "Pirate Bay" ? 

I never even mentioned the word "secret"      As you appear "confused" shall we say,  here is what i posted, in reply to somebody else, 

What would be the point other than morbid curiosity?   It might sound heartless but I really could not care less, I have survived  decades of the Songkran madness, and  completely unscathed, it's not that difficult for those with a bit of common sense.  There are more than likely some who are regularly involved in Songkran incidents maybe even every year, we can draw our own conclusions why that might be 

The fact that the person i was replying to,  ( the one you quoted) seems to think  i am privilege to  some sort of secret, which enables me to survive on Thai roads, suggests to me that he should not be driving,      and you should not be posting this late as its obviously past your bed time

Edited by Bday Prang

37 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Well if you are intending to quote me at least have the intelligence to choose some words that I actually wrote and it would also help if you posted what was written in its entirety, albeit by somebody else in this case,  It might help the rest of us figure out what on earth you are trying to say?

"If it's is a secret?       if what is a secret?             " You shouldn't be driving"   Why should the secrecy of whatever you are talking about have any bearing on whether I should be driving or not?  

I really expected better from our self appointed road safety expert and statistical analysis guru, whatever did they teach you on the one day , entry level ,basic road safety course you bought online from the "Pirate Bay" ? 

I never even mentioned the word "secret"      As you appear "confused" shall we say,  here is what i posted, in reply to somebody else, 

What would be the point other than morbid curiosity?   It might sound heartless but I really could not care less, I have survived  decades of the Songkran madness, and  completely unscathed, it's not that difficult for those with a bit of common sense.  There are more than likely some who are regularly involved in Songkran incidents maybe even every year, we can draw our own conclusions why that might be 

The fact that the person i was replying to,  ( the one you quoted) seems to think  i am privilege to  some sort of secret, which enables me to survive on Thai roads, suggests to me that he should not be driving,      and you should not be posting this late as its obviously past your bed time

You really aren’t up to speed on this are you?. You have resorted to rather lame logical fallacies that give this away… - I'm replying to this quote regardless of who said it...

Reductio ad absurdum

“The secret to avoid road accidents in Thailand.
Would you please share your knowledge with us and reduce the road accidents to "0"”

You are characterizing an opposing argument in such a way that it seems to be ridiculous, or the consequences of the position seem ridiculous, but as it is fallacious the opposite is true.

Expert - a reverse fallacious appeal to authority, often used by people to attack the messenger rather than the message. People without any argument seem to believe that they can discredit anyone who says something they don’t agree with or didn’t know, by suggesting they are an “expert” or asking them why they think they are an “expert”. As if any opinion other than an “experts” must automatically be invalid

19 hours ago, hotchilli said:

For Thailand that is working.

More than working... Bangkok with a metro population of over 11 million, 13 road fatalities in 5 days. That's minuscule.

5 hours ago, kwilco said:

You really aren’t up to speed on this are you?. You have resorted to rather lame logical fallacies that give this away… - I'm replying to this quote regardless of who said it...

Reductio ad absurdum

“The secret to avoid road accidents in Thailand.
Would you please share your knowledge with us and reduce the road accidents to "0"”

You are characterizing an opposing argument in such a way that it seems to be ridiculous, or the consequences of the position seem ridiculous, but as it is fallacious the opposite is true.

Expert - a reverse fallacious appeal to authority, often used by people to attack the messenger rather than the message. People without any argument seem to believe that they can discredit anyone who says something they don’t agree with or didn’t know, by suggesting they are an “expert” or asking them why they think they are an “expert”. As if any opinion other than an “experts” must automatically be invalid

you could have  just admitted  that you misquoted me  and apologised like any normal person.  Instead of making your self look ridiculous by writing such barely coherent twaddle. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

drunkenness--fighting--women sexually assaulted--violence--deaths--accidents--Welcome to Songkran!  Sanook mak! 

And that was just one morning in our house, a pretty unremarkable day to be honest 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

you could have  just admitted  that you misquoted me  and apologised like any normal person.  Instead of making your self look ridiculous by writing such barely coherent twaddle. 

Sorry if you don't understand, but not surprised.