Thailand Records Total of 206 Deaths in 5 Days of ‘Songkran 7 Days Road Safety Campaign'

webfact

image.jpeg

A total of 1,564 road accidents, with 1,593 injuries and 206 deaths, were reported on Tuesday (April 16th) by the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) in five days (April 11th -April 15th) of the ‘Seven Days Road Safety Campaign’ during Songkran (April 11th – April 17th) 2024.

The province with the total highest fatalities were Bangkok and Chiang Rai with 13 deaths each.

The total highest number of accidents was Chiang Rai with 61 and the highest number of injuries was Nan with 60 injuries.

There were 39 deaths, 301 road accidents, and 314 injuries in total reported on the fifth day (April 15th) of the campaign.

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2024-04-17

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

A total of 1,564 road accidents, with 1,593 injuries and 206 deaths, were reported

Looks like the Seven Day Road Safely Campaign isn't working....as usual.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

The regular statistics tells 60 deaths in traffic per day in Thailand. During the festivities they lower it to around 40. That´s about 33% better than usual. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

The so called 7 deadly days are usually less deadly than every other day of the year so your comment is way off the mark.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

A total of 1,564 road accidents, with 1,593 injuries and 206 deaths

I would like to see a breakdown into GRAVE INJURIES (loss of limbs, brain damage, etc.) and minor injuries (non-lethal injuries).
How many of these 1,593 injuries will be disabled for life and become a burden to the society?
Accumulating every year on.

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

The so called 7 deadly days are usually less deadly than every other day of the year so your comment is way off the mark.

indeed, the Thai authorities response , if questioned about this, would be something along the lines of     " just think how much worse it would have been if it wasn't for the  annual safety campaign"   personally I doubt it makes any difference.  On the two days when everybody is travelling to or from Bangkok the slow average speed reduces the number of accidents, on the days of the celebration less people are driving around which also reduces the number of accidents. I doubt the number of those driving whilst drunk changes that much.  Either way, twice every year, the daily death toll reduces by around 30%  for whatever reasons.  So the concept of "the  7 deadly days" is in reality a pure fallacy.  

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Must be working .normal death rate from accidents is 62 per day so 206 deaths in 5 days is  pretty good compared to the normal death rate  this is about 1/3 less than the normal deaths from crashes per day.  

On average, 62 people are killed in crashes every day in Thailand, 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

I would like to see a breakdown into GRAVE INJURIES (loss of limbs, brain damage, etc.) and minor injuries (non-lethal injuries).
How many of these 1,593 injuries will be disabled for life and become a burden to the society?

What would be the point other than morbid curiosity?   It might sound heartless but I really could not care less, I have survived  decades of the Songkran madness, and  completely unscathed, it's not that difficult for those with a bit of common sense.  There are more than likely some who are regularly involved in Songkran incidents maybe even every year, we can draw our own conclusions why that might be  

9 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Must be working .normal death rate from accidents is 62 per day so 206 deaths in 5 days is  pretty good compared to the normal death rate  this is about 1/3 less than the normal deaths from crashes per day.  

On average, 62 people are killed in crashes every day in Thailand, 

It is what it is, every year,   little point in dwelling on it,

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

indeed, the Thai authorities response , if questioned about this, would be something along the lines of     " just think how much worse it would have been if it wasn't for the  annual safety campaign"   personally I doubt it makes any difference.  On the two days when everybody is travelling to or from Bangkok the slow average speed reduces the number of accidents, on the days of the celebration less people are driving around which also reduces the number of accidents. I doubt the number of those driving whilst drunk changes that much.  Either way, twice every year, the daily death toll reduces by around 30%  for whatever reasons.  So the concept of "the  7 deadly days" is in reality a pure fallacy.  

The actual numbers of fatalaties is also a falicy. Some say it's only those who die at the scene are counted but a senior doctor at a major hospital told me it's within a 24 hr period. Either way many will succumb to their injuries after the fact. As for traffic going slow I'm not sure I totally agree with you on this. Yes traffic is slow but idiots will try to get through faster.

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

What would be the point other than morbid curiosity?   It might sound heartless but I really could not care less, I have survived  decades of the Songkran madness, and  completely unscathed, it's not that difficult for those with a bit of common sense.  There are more than likely some who are regularly involved in Songkran incidents maybe even every year, we can draw our own conclusions why that might be  

Research and Statistical interests.

I don't give a flying f//k about your "achievements" at Songkran.

4 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I have survived  decades of the Songkran madness, and  completely unscathed, it's not that difficult for those with a bit of common sense.  There are more than likely some who are regularly involved in Songkran incidents maybe even every year, we can draw our own conclusions why that might be  

Seems like you have the secret to the Holy Grail.
The secret to avoid road accidents in Thailand.
Would you please share your knowledge with us and reduce the road accidents to "0". 

4 hours ago, dinsdale said:

The actual numbers of fatalaties is also a falicy. Some say it's only those who die at the scene are counted but a senior doctor at a major hospital told me it's within a 24 hr period. Either way many will succumb to their injuries after the fact. As for traffic going slow I'm not sure I totally agree with you on this. Yes traffic is slow but idiots will try to get through faster.

The numbers listed are the "people who died at the spot" and "people who were injured by the accident".
From the "people who were injured by the accident" some of them will die in the following days and will be added to the tally .
The 206 deaths are not all people who died on the spot, but includes also people who were injured previously at the accident but died in the following days at the hospital.
Only a total count at the end of the year can be count as more or less accurate casualty count.

Also: "A fatality is defined as a death within 30 days of a crash." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_Thailand_by_year)

https://www.thairsc.com/eng/

Clipboard02.jpg

https://www.who.int/thailand/news/feature-stories/detail/turning-tragedy-into-action--advocacy-and-survival-on-thailand-s-roads#:~:text=In Thailand%2C road traffic accidents,sole cause of these accidents.

In Thailand, road traffic accidents result in about 20,000 deaths and a million injuries each year, incurring an economic loss of 500,000 million baht. While drunk driving is a significant contributing factor, it is not the sole cause of these accidents. This photo essay goes beyond the statistics, portraying the real faces and stories of survivors, advocating for urgent reforms and heightened road safety awareness. It aims to transform impersonal data into powerful narratives of human resilience, underscoring the need for safer roads.

16 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

just over 40 per day against the norm of 50 to 60 - that's at least a 20% drop

9 hours ago, Confuscious said:

the normal international standard divides injuries into 3 categories - minor, serious and fatal. So far Thailand has failed to do this on a long term annual basis.

Edited by kwilco

4 hours ago, Confuscious said:

The numbers listed are the "people who died at the spot" and "people who were injured by the accident".
From the "people who were injured by the accident" some of them will die in the following days and will be added to the tally .
The 206 deaths are not all people who died on the spot, but includes also people who were injured previously at the accident but died in the following days at the hospital.
Only a total count at the end of the year can be count as more or less accurate casualty count.

Also: "A fatality is defined as a death within 30 days of a crash." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_Thailand_by_year)

https://www.thairsc.com/eng/

Clipboard02.jpg

Firstly fixating only on the statistic of road deaths  or deaths per 100k pop isn't a very good way of getting the true picture - rather, it shows how people are not analysing the stas in a productive way.

THe 30 day rule is only a guide - not a hard and fast rule in most countries - It should however be noted that statistically the numbers after 30 days are probably insignificant.

In the UK, The Department for Transport (DfT)  defines a road death as someone who dies within 30 days of a reported road accident involving a vehicle on a public road.

There is no hard cut-off after 30 days like in the US.

Beyond 30 days: Deaths that occur after 30 days but are considered directly attributable to the injuries sustained in the accident are still counted as road deaths by the DfT. They are reported in a separate category though, differentiating them from those happening within 30 days.

Here are some resources for further reference:

Department for Transport - Road Casualties and fatalities: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-transport

It would be more helpful to compare THailand's first responder and emergency services to other country's statistics.

THe stats relealeased so quickly by the RTP cannot really be regarded as anything more than a comparative guide. THis year's proportions reflect only what the police were checking for not what was actually trending.

Edited by kwilco
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Confuscious said:

https://www.who.int/thailand/news/feature-stories/detail/turning-tragedy-into-action--advocacy-and-survival-on-thailand-s-roads#:~:text=In Thailand%2C road traffic accidents,sole cause of these accidents.

In Thailand, road traffic accidents result in about 20,000 deaths and a million injuries each year, incurring an economic loss of 500,000 million baht. While drunk driving is a significant contributing factor, it is not the sole cause of these accidents. This photo essay goes beyond the statistics, portraying the real faces and stories of survivors, advocating for urgent reforms and heightened road safety awareness. It aims to transform impersonal data into powerful narratives of human resilience, underscoring the need for safer roads.

It is good to see an article that doesn't regurgitate the same old cliches about road safety - namely "bad drivers" DUI  deaths per 10ok pop and playing the blame game

32 minutes ago, kwilco said:

It is good to see an article that doesn't regurgitate the same old cliches about road safety - namely "bad drivers" DUI  deaths per 10ok pop and playing the blame game

What I would like to see is a stat about the REAL number of people that becomes disabled for life and become a real burden to the Thai society because of this.

"Every year, about 1 million people become disabled and become a burden to the Thai society" (500 million baht according to this report).
Assuming that this number remains unchanged over the years, in 30 years time half of the Thai population would be disabled.

This assumption doesn't take into account the number of people which get disabled by other causes (Loss of limbs because of Diabetes and other diseases; Loss of limbs because of industrial accidents; People born disabled; etc.)

I can not believe that the Thai authorities haven't calculated this evolution.

7 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Research and Statistical interests.

I don't give a flying f//k about your "achievements" at Songkran.

I'm glad to hear it , but like most women you seem to have changed your mind, as  a couple of hours later  you felt the need to ask for my assistance when you wrote...

Seems like you have the secret to the Holy Grail.
The secret to avoid road accidents in Thailand.
Would you please share your knowledge with us and reduce the road accidents to "0"

17 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

What I would like to see is a stat about the REAL number of people that becomes disabled for life and become a real burden to the Thai society because of this.

"Every year, about 1 million people become disabled and become a burden to the Thai society" (500 million baht according to this report).
Assuming that this number remains unchanged over the years, in 30 years time half of the Thai population would be disabled.

This assumption doesn't take into account the number of people which get disabled by other causes (Loss of limbs because of Diabetes and other diseases; Loss of limbs because of industrial accidents; People born disabled; etc.)

I cant believe the ways some  people waste their time 

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

Your assumption doesn't take into account the number of those who die of old age and the Thai birthrate. THe population is not static or made up of te same people every year.

I think there rte two factors here one is how statisitcs are compiled and secondly how they are collated and analysed.

Edited by kwilco