Claiming VAT refund at Suvarnabhumi Airport

1 hour ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Could I also ask, who exactrly is entitled to claim VAT refunds when leaving Thailand. Is someone who stays only 1-2 months of a 3 months visiting family Visa entitled to claim?  

Yes.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2024 at 5:30 PM, Upnotover said:

It needs to be updated.

Now :

Tourists who buy goods worth less than 20,000 baht would not have to show them to customs officials during the refund process. Until now,the upper limit was less than 5,000 baht.  The minimum price of ornaments, ornamentalgold, watches, eyeglasses, pens, smart phones, laptop and tablet computers, bags (excludingtravel bags) and belts that must be presented tocustoms is raised from 10,000 baht to 40,000 baht.

Extra information :

I am at airport after almost 6 months in Thailand.

I made a short trip to Laos so I last entered in January. VAT Refund office told me I couldn't be considered as a tourist since I stayed more than 3 months (108 days) . They refunded me this time but told me they would not in the future

• Thumbs Up 1

Some misinformation in this thread. Last December I went all the way down to the VAT refund counter (before check-in) and waited in line only to be told at counter no need to go there as item was < 20,000 baht cost (as per daejung post above)

So I just needed to go to the VAT counter after immigration for the refund on my 12,000 baht phone. Didn't even have to show it to them

Edited by Pattaya57

• 3 weeks later...