6 Thai men arrested for attacking 2 foreigners during Songkran

webfact

5 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

6 against 1 again. Cowardly drunken scumbags.

Par for the course - it just makes a change for the Thais to be shown as the "Bad Boys" in the media, instead of the deluge of bad press foreigners have been getting recently!

Or maybe it's just a token gesture - what's the odds that the next person/persons misbehaving  will be listed as "foreign" in the headlines on AN?

2 hours ago, wensiensheng said:
4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

And so it’s ok to beat them up because they honked their horn?

You're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy. 

Foreigners best learn the lay of the land or risk being another news story.  The Chinese government might intercede on the behalf of the horn honkers and some form of justice might be doled out. We will never know.

One day last year I was on a songtaew on Soi Buakhao, in very heavy traffic. A Brit git on a scooter right behind us laid on his little horn; probably venting his frustration at not being able to get to the next watering hole before happy hour ended.

A lady beside me asked rhetorically "why he do that? It's traffic".   If he do that in the village he would be beaten, maybe killed".   The Thais were probably at fault but the foreigner will always pay the price. 

I don't use my horn. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

And so it’s ok to beat them up because they honked their horn? Stop being a Thai apologist, it is totally out of order to beat up people, much less stab them, who honk their horn at you, whether the honk is warranted or not.

As the journalist wryly pointed out, although the assailants claimed they could not move in the traffic, they were able to make a getaway. But, as I just said, able to move in traffic or not, physical assault with a deadly weapon because of a horn honk, is unacceptable.

Funny how some people on this site react and excuse Thai thuggish behaviour, isn't it. I wonder if he would be in danger of being attacked by a mob and stabbed if he honked someone in his own country.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

A lady beside me asked rhetorically "why he do that? It's traffic".   If he do that in the village he would be beaten, maybe killed".   The Thais were probably at fault but the foreigner will always pay the price. 

Thai culture, isn't it, admitted by a Thai so not farang Thai-bashing. She admitted that life is worth so little in Thailand that someone can be murdered for simply honking their horn. Great culture in the land of smiles. LOS my ar*e.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Children reacting the only way their culture taught them, in order to save face....

Especially when their girlfriends are in the truck with them . 

2 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Thai people actually getting arrested for crimes against foreigners. How many of you complainers does this prove wrong? Doesn't matter because you're not the sort that ever admits to being wrong, that would spoil the fun of complaining. 

Pointless unless they do proper prison time. Attempted murder here, should get at least 10 years. But I'm sure they'll get a small fine after a wai or 2. 

17 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

You're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy. 

Foreigners best learn the lay of the land or risk being another news story.  The Chinese government might intercede on the behalf of the horn honkers and some form of justice might be doled out. We will never know.

One day last year I was on a songtaew on Soi Buakhao, in very heavy traffic. A Brit git on a scooter right behind us laid on his little horn; probably venting his frustration at not being able to get to the next watering hole before happy hour ended.

I don't use my horn. 

Honking in Thai culture is degrading and disrespectful . Moreover who the honking is intended for is debatable. Better to use highlighting with headlamps if only to inform respective party . 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

I'm lucky to be alive, because I honked at thais several times. Perhaps we should all remove the horns from our vehicles.

Honking itself is a culture upon itself. There is the short one beep type, a short two beep type for “ look out warning” 

a long blast honking for “ look I am getting impatient “ 

a really long blast honking meaning “ fxxx you , get out of there ! Do you know who I am “ 

using car headlamps highlighting is a better choice for certain situation and again there is highlighting culture involved too. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jtrump said:

"I find grumpy expats and entitled boomers always criticizing every sh*t even more annoying!"

I guess you find yourself annoying as well since you are the one complaining.  Both you and the original poster have a serious lack of intelligence.  Please seek immediate medical attention.  Local traditions is not beating someone for honking a horn.

OK Boomer!

3 hours ago, NemoH said:

The victims honked n got out of their cars to confront their attackers? 

Either the victims were drunk n foolhardy or they were simply arrogant n looking for a fight. 🤣🤣 so the victims lost n now claim to be victimised… 

I will have more sympathy if the victims had remained in their car n were attacked for no reason. 

Struth.

My hero of the month, ffs

So, what does Mr. Anustin have to say about this case? Where is his outrage? Urs Fehler lost his livelihood and is sitting in prison. For a shove...

If all thing were equal these guys deserve death, by being fed to the pigs.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My wife always warns me not to honk the horn. These days the reality is that this could happen anywhere in the world. Anytime you honk your horn, make a gesture to another driver, or show aggression of any sort all bets are off.

I still believe that as a foreigner here in Thailand we are considerably safer than in most parts of the world, and in a major city in the US you would have a much greater chance of a violent confrontation than here. 

But mankind is getting increasingly more insane by the day and it reinforces my notion that civilization is not moving forward at this point in time. I think as a society and as a civilization we are moving backwards. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, jtrump said:

Local traditions is not beating someone for honking a horn.

Have you been living under a stone? There have been countless such reports, with a sizeable number not involving a beating but threats or worse with a gun or machete. I was personally told by a taxi driver who said he was an off-duty cop that if he had his gun with him he would have shot me over a trivial incident (my protesting that he was in danger of crashing the taxi and injuring me when he played cat and mouse with a car that had dared to overtake him, while refusing to stop the taxi and let me out). You take your life in your hands if you cross these neanderthals over anything at all. Just a couple of days ago we had a report of someone being shot as the victim looked at him the wrong way while passing on his motorcycle.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Modern Coding said:

Personally, after witnessing Songkran, I don't hold much of it.

There are many things that I find annoying, as someone who has to work 7 days a week.

(I would probably see it differently if I had Thai children and no need to work).

Nevertheless, I fully agree to everything you state: as a guest among hosts who actually did not invite me, I am not to judge local traditions, I am just to keep my opinions for myself, just saying to myself that next year, I will think about traveling abroad.

While I find some aspects of Thailand annoying - but which country is perfect?... - I find grumpy expats and entitled boomers always criticizing every sh*t even more annoying!

Like expats are normally told in every country I have been living in: if you don't like it, leave! Period!

"grumpy expats and entitled boomers"

If you don't like the way Thailand does things go back where you came from." 

".....if you don't like it, leave!"

Yawn and double yawn and even triple yawn!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, sambum said:

"grumpy expats and entitled boomers"

If you don't like the way Thailand does things go back where you came from." 

".....if you don't like it, leave!"

Yawn and double yawn and even triple yawn!!!

Well, time for you to go to bed, kid!

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, off road pat said:

,...."He claimed he found a knife on the road and stabbed Shi with that weapon.",.....Yeah sure,....knives lay just around on the street,....

Sometimes it's iron bars also !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Thai people actually getting arrested for crimes against foreigners. How many of you complainers does this prove wrong? Doesn't matter because you're not the sort that ever admits to being wrong, that would spoil the fun of complaining. 

Problem is the punishments . The Thais Will maybe get fined 500 baht ,good old wai of ya go . Foreigner who  may have lived here for years have family here  business ect . Lesser offence but zeros on fine and visa revoked , equals life gone very wrong . But our lovely hosts can just do it all again.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

You're all a bunch of intruders to them, they didn't invite you here

30+million tourist intruders annually then. Not a very nice picture of how the Kingdom views/hosts their visitors 

TAT's worldwide advertising campaign obviously not aware of this 😁

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, mancub said:

You're all a bunch of intruders to them, they didn't invite you here

Sorry, they did and they spend millions of baht, and have a whole govt department whose only job is to do just that!