Thailand faces a decline in British tourists and expats: Causes and Consequences

webfact

Staggering statistics:

on a 07:00 48 seat bus airport to pattaya: 3 Europeans(within one Turkish: Asian or European not sure) 2 Koreans, 2 Japanese and remaining: Indians, Pakistanis and or Bangladeshi 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:
21 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

...and chock-full of more dodgy lowlifes than the bottom-end of Sukhumvit.

Like Thailand was 30 years ago??

Correct. The dregs of humanity will always silt away to the lowest level.

As for myself, I'm barely clinging on up here in Ban Dung.

26 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How about a 90 day waiver on entry like you give the Russians!

We get 45 days in Vietnam, so of course more long stay Brit tourists are going to Vietnam.

The offerings are usually reciprocal.

How can Thais get into the UK visa free?

I think the Government  was thinking the Chinese and Indian  tourist are better value and hence Western tourist have dropped of. I stay in Pattaya or Jomtein and all the hotels are overrun with those tourists who have no consideration for the way we think people should behave.My wife is Chinese and she even hates going to Thailand.

Once my Dental treatment is complete we will not be going back in the near future.Something I did not mention it is no longer a cheap destination and many hotels have failed to keep up maintenance. Last hotel in Jomtein  we changed rooms 4 times due to sewerage smells. To the hotels credit they kept  changing us rooms but the fact is   a 4 star hotel should be better.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Maybe it's because Thailand is starting to crack down on illegal workers or people who try to avoid the (rather easy) immigration procedures. Thailand is still an easy, cheap destination for legitimate visitors.

Edited by Henryford
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

I'm in Thailand now for a short time, having been back in Britain for over two years, and I have realised how much I miss the place. 

However much I miss it though, I won't be returning full time, even if my pension, when I finally retire, will go a lot further in Thailand. Bureaucracy, the way farangs are treated differently and, yes discriminated against, the stifling heat I'm currently experiencing, language difficulties (my fault for not learning anything other than basic Thai), the changing demographic in Phuket, where I was based, pollution, the cost of health insurance. I could go on but other aspects have been covered in the initial post. 

Despite this, I still anticipate being a regualar visitor on a tourist visa with travel insurance. My partner is still in Thailand but our daughter is with me in England, where career prospects are so much better than in Thailand. She already earns more in a day as a part time waitress than many Thais earn in a week. And, apart from property, there's not that much differential in the cost of living.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

And here is the kicker - Malaysia received 12.6 Million tourists from Singapore in 2023 (real high end big spending tourists) - Thailand received 1.9 million from Singapore. 

Relevant only if you make a comparison to how many Singaporean visitors there were before.

Here is a quote from a 2016 article (a quick search couldn't find anything more recent) about Singaporeans visiting Malaysia - 

According to official figures from the Malaysia Tourism Promotion Board in Singapore released to The Straits Times, Malaysia recorded 12,930,754 tourist arrivals from Singapore last year, a 7 per cent drop from 13,932,967 in 2014.

https://www.nationthailand.com/international/30286726

So even those numbers are still down.......hardly a "kicker".......

• Like 1