Thailand faces a decline in British tourists and expats: Causes and Consequences

webfact

3 hours ago, Driller said:

Used to be any remote place on this earth would have an Englishman and at least one Filipino, now they are both becoming not so typical. I always enjoyed reading Robinson Caruso, and could easily picture an Englishman as Caruso. I am going to have to find that book now and have a long overdue read again.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Perhaps the greater number of Brits referred to in the article have absolutely no knowledge of or interest in Thai media as they're still bladdered from those buckets of Saeng Som on the beach last night.

Robinson Crusoe !..…Caruso was a singer

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That is not corract.

At least in Bangkok decades ago the air quality was worse and the traffic was worse.

Now it's far away from good, but a lot better than it used to be.

Remember those things?

1024px-Green_bus_in_Bangkok.jpg

What about Northern Thailand?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

thailand wants short term 2 week millionaires, not long stay expats

or they at least would have given us RESIDENCY after a few years of marriage/children/sponsoring the economy/eventually working...

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

The devastating effect of Thai street food. 

image.png.c84dc34cf1739b5ca6b9fce243dbf921.png

If that was true, I'd get my fat ass down to the Beach Road and start eating Thai street food. That having been said, I will now get busy on my newly bought treadmill----which I should bought when I first moved here.

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Thailand has nothing to offer tourists, Vietnam is better in every way.

The Viets don't hate white folk, they don't put the wrong stamps in your passport, the beaches aren't infested by sand flies, there is more to see.

If I didn't already have a Thai house, wife, kid, I'd not be here.

Unless you want to stay more than a month. No long stay visas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shackleton said:

The Thai government / Thai tourist agency won't be losing sleep of the decline of Brit tourists or Expats

There are plenty of Russian and Chinese arriving buying up the property plus businesses ect 

Reading the news lately with Brits no money on drugs maybe its a good thing there are less of them coming 😱

Mainly foreign visitors are Russians, Chinese and Indians though neighboring malaysians of over 4 millions on short jaunt also visit annually.  

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

He is saying that he can picture any Englishman as an Enrico Caruso?

Far From the Madding Crowd, and alone with Friday and Crusoe, on some remote isle.

But, now, no more.

Travel has become prohibitively expensive for the likes of you and me.

In my view, it is best to just choose some place, no matter how remote, as long as you love it, add then just remain in one spot, and enjoy a much more stress-free, as well as much lower-cost, existence.

This is what I do.

I will not spend money to buy things, or go places, based on artificially created need.

Let Madison Avenue's propaganda be read and acted upon by those far more gullible than I.

Save money on airfare, and then spend that money to create a personal utopia of your own....

Far From the Madding Crowd of Phuket and BKK.

Travel is NOT fun.

Travel is stressful, expensive, and no longer worthwhile.

Travel for pleasure is no longer what it once was.

And, this is the Myth that the travel industry is still trying to sell you.

Agree with your sentiments GG, but a bit puzzled about what in my post set you off. But no problem anyway.

On second reading I see it very clearly, well spotted.

Edited by saintdomingo

3 hours ago, Driller said:

Used to be any remote place on this earth would have an Englishman and at least one Filipino, now they are both becoming not so typical. I always enjoyed reading Robinson Caruso, and could easily picture an Englishman as Caruso. I am going to have to find that book now and have a long overdue read again.

Robinson Crusoe was based on a real-life man called Alexander Selkirk, who was Scottish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orchis said:

negligible difference: one could still take the same flight to BKK and then a low cost short flight at about 50USD to Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia,...
Quite a few people I knew in Bangkok now live in Siem Reap surviving on their pension there.

Proof, if ever proof were needed, that not only are the lowlifes fleeing to Cambodia but their cheap charlie cousins are as well.

Sad but true.