Thailand faces a decline in British tourists and expats: Causes and Consequences

webfact

14 minutes ago, rexpotter said:

My Lord its difficult to use this website on Windows. Always puts me at the end of the page, so I had to learn how to go to the home page with one key. Also, why can't we stop a new post if we decide not to make it, or completely erase one?

Telegram has that one feature I love, I can completely erase any comment I've made. And the person who I sent it to while drunk or angry never sees it.

If you prefer that then rex go back to it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Dear Mr. My-glass-is-half-empty-all-the-time,

I am deeply concerned with your perpetually groundless anxiety, so here's your starter for ten.

https://www.reccessary.com/en/news/th-announcement/thailand-biggest-floating-solar-plant-inaugurated-prachinburi

PS: Google really is your friend.

Best,

Bladdered in Bung Khan

Are you Thai? His comments are very reasonable and well thought out to me. Putting ones head in the sand never solves problems.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Sadly, the Thai immigration bureau has ceased its detailed country-specific data release, leaving a void.

I'm pretty sure Thai Immigration still keeps track of that kind of data, and could produce it if A] they wanted to, or B] someone in authority directed them to.

But then, of course, there's the added question of actually making it public. For all we know, the Immigration commander may get a report on his desk every month recapping those kinds of stats....

But for whatever reason, Immigration at some point decided they no longer needed or wanted to share that data with the public on a regular basis.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

21 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

How many times have Westerners who used to be the bread n butter of the tourism industry been pushed aside and forced out in favor of Arabs, Indians, and now Russians? Complaints to The Police are ignored thai yobs have inpunity from assaulting us, Racism is rife not once has a Thai governor answered why Russians or Chinese are given long-stay-free visas yet all other Westerners get only 30 days on Arrival. Have they addressed it no its all about money the greed is rotting the apple barrel, never mind the Golden Goose that was well and trully plucked 10 years ago. Even Thailand's second in command summed up the thoughts of Thais when he called us unwashed dirty falangs and are not wanted in our country. Well mud sticks You are to blame for the decline instead of blaming others look in the mirror.

You make it sound as if the Thais are somehow mourning this development. 
I don't think they are. 

Can't speak for all Thais but the ones I know rank Brits at the bottom of the barrel as far as crappy behaviour in their country is concerned. 

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Anutin calls us dirty foreigners.

Prayut says we should be raped and murdered for wearing bikinis.

If you don't believe they hate us, you ain't paying attention.

Of course whu would you want people living in your country who think they are hated by the locals. 

Why would they live here at all?

When looking at the drop-off in British tourism to Thailand, another unmentioned factor could be....

...the dubious Go Fund Me appeals for British tourists who travel here and get injured without having any medical travel insurance may not be paying off as much as they used to....  🙂

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, rexpotter said:

No mention of the Russians. Why? Nobody can or will live around them. Clean them out or forget about even trying to change things.

Next: Constantly being ripped off, everywhere and all the dam time. It never ends, medical care restaurants, tours, Taxi's, auto repair etc etc, a never ending battle.

okay good bye:coffee1:

Also surprised that no-one has mentioned (or I think not) that the 'so called' flagship UK airline British Airways has not flown to Thailand since the pandemic and will not do so again until October 2024 when it will only fly here three times a week from London Gatwick which is better than nothing I guess but is hardly a vote of confidence in Thailand or the economic recovery in Europe.  Luckily I haven't flown BA for years as it is rubbish i.e. old planes, old staff, poor service, dire food so it's been EVA or Emirates usually for me.

1 hour ago, RobU said:

Travelling here is now very expensive UK tourists tend to go to cheaper destinations. Recent horror stories about ill maintained travelators and monorails (which were published around the world) don't help. Tourists walk and gawk, yet pedestrians are the worst catered for group in Thailand apart from the disabled. The sidewalks are atrocious and difficult to navigate and crossing the road is extremely dangerous, even if the crossing is light controlled. It is not family friendly children are in constant danger of being hit by motorbikes on the sidewalk.  Many of those UK expats settling in Thailand were retired, often living on the UK state pension. They visited Thailand previously on a dream holiday and decided to retire here because they could live better.  The UK state pension is the lowest in Europe. Thailand looks at the relative wealth of expats from other countries and targets it's charges accordingly. Thailand is simply pricing itself out of the UK market by making it very expensive to live here (visa requirements, tax etc) for uk expats 

Agree with most of your post accept the mention of the disabled . They are not well catered for especially for someone in a wheelchair who will have to take their chance by using the road . Broken pavements in every town in Thailand with vendors taking up space that should be clear for pedestrians . Thailand compared with some European holiday venues , just does not compare . Look at the beautiful Spanish promenades .  Thai pedestrian crossings mean this is where you must cross the road and Thai drivers will not give you priority when using the crossing . Red lights at a crossing are often ignored  . Etc Etc .

Finally one of the major factors for the absence of Brits to Thailand is the ridiculous cost of air fares . It appears  that all of the air lines have agreed to hike up their fares . Lucky if you can get an economy  flight  for under a grand . Imagine a family facing those fares . They will either stay in the UK ( BTW UK holiday bookings at an all time high )or be off to the Balearics .

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Because Brits and Westerners are no longer "bread and butter" get over it!

In one kwilco Phuket is now understanding what happens when you rely on Russian and indian tourists.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

Anutin calls us dirty foreigners.

Prayut says we should be raped and murdered for wearing bikinis.

If you don't believe they hate us, you ain't paying attention.

Oh grow up
Prayut most definitely did not say that. He merely said that if these women parade around in ordinary public areas, they are bound to attract the attention of men, a handful of whom may take things too far.

I remember when we used to laugh at other ethnicities who complained of discrimination here. We'd say things like "Thailand isn't PC so if you don't like it, . . ."

Now that we're on the receiving end, suddenly the softer, snowflake types among us are crying "racism".
What happened to the attraction of no political correctness?

• Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

LOL a country where they sit on the floor and eat with their fingers out of bowls Buddy. Your average joe Somchai believes all he is told they dont think for themselves land of smiles yes dream on.

So what if they sit on the floor to eat?? Lots of cultures do so. It doesn't mean you're better than they are.

Thais question a lot more than you think but they're taught to keep some things to themselves.
Free speech isn't a thing here in case you hadn't noticed

• Like 1

All these complaints. And the crowds. And the pollution. It makes me yearn for the Golden Age of Covid Thailand. Cleaner air, fewer people, easier to get around, no problem finding taxis. I really liked things then. (The economic problems are out of my lane, so, yes, Covid Thailand caused economic destruction. But as someone living here on a retirement extension, it was the best time I've ever experienced.)

Edited by John Drake
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Driller said:

Used to be any remote place on this earth would have an Englishman and at least one Filipino, now they are both becoming not so typical. I always enjoyed reading Robinson Caruso, and could easily picture an Englishman as Caruso. I am going to have to find that book now and have a long overdue read again.

Caruso was an Italian tenor opera singer. The average Englishman enjoys screeching along to the sound of the jukebox in his local pub,😋

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Not telling you

It is easy young people have more money now in Britain they have more choice to travel the world more countries in Asia cheaper and much easier to stay 20 years ago Thailand was paradise they chopped all the tree down in koh Samui where I lived now it looks like Spain Thailand has gone the way Spain went in the seventies Thailand is getting to look like Benidorm 🙏

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Because traditionally women are the property of men, and expected to live in the country of their owners.

The rules in the western world were broadly the same until around 1950.

They even made a Hollywood movie highlighting the discrepancy (I was a Male war Bride 1949 starring Cary Grant).

I think it's just cos women are considered more desrirable and get special treatment in general 

I honestly think it was white women who came up with the concept of male privilege to take the attention away from the fact they are the most privileged.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

Because Kaun Thai is as sexist as he is racist, which is hard on the women who do all the work here...

Please, ask a farang husband who does all the work. It ain't the Thai wife.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Remember???

I see ones just like the one in your photo driving down the streets every day in Bangkok...

I have to admit I didn't see them in a long time. But maybe there is a difference between living in the middle of the city and somewhere almost outside of the city. 😉 

36 minutes ago, superal said:

Finally one of the major factors for the absence of Brits to Thailand is the ridiculous cost of air fares

Asking because I don't know (not to be a smartass)...  Did London-BKK used to fly over Russkie airspace, or did they veer south? 

From China to Thailand, I'm paying way less than pre-Covid.  But the selection of flights is poor, with no non-stops when there used to be a lot of non-stops each day.

Edited by impulse