Thailand faces a decline in British tourists and expats: Causes and Consequences

webfact

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Proof, if ever proof were needed, that not only are the lowlifes fleeing to Cambodia but their cheap charlie cousins are as well.

Sad but true.

Don't you know where we are? This place is full of lowlifes and I aint talking about the farang.

What's wrong with being frugal? Thais are cheap charlies. Nothing wrong with that.

• Haha 1

Meh I don't think it will make any real impact. Cashed up farangs and asians will easily be replaced by other cashed up farangs and asians. The only thing that slowed down tourism overall in Thailand was covid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, orchis said:

negligible difference: one could still take the same flight to BKK and then a low cost short flight at about 50USD to Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia,...
Quite a few people I knew in Bangkok now live in Siem Reap surviving on their pension there.

As I understand, thailand has still the best features for tourists from beaches , islands to mountain resorts.  An all rounder indeed. English is fairly understood here too unlike vietnam . Moreover Thailand has facilities for high end tourists to low budget tourists especially Bangkok which other countries have to try really hard to emulate. 
overall whatever her faults, thailand still has the best infrastructure around. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Nothing stays the same, you have to change with it, or move on. I moved to my current location in the London suburbs 21 years ago, it was deemed a middle class area, 21 years on, it's no different from the area I moved from. I first visited Thailand 16 years ago, it's a very very different place these days, some of the changes are for the better, but most are not. Will I still retire there, who knows, I'll revisit that at the time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

How many Thai passports have farang gotten compared to their dual national Thai wives??

It's way easier for a western woman married to a Thai to get a Thai passport (1-2 years + family income 15kbht/month) than a Thai woman married to a western man (UK 5 years + family income 140kbht/month ).

You aren't comparing like with like!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

This is interesting and humorous. 

Why do western women get the Thai passport so easily, but western guys will probably never get it?

Because traditionally women are the property of men, and expected to live in the country of their owners.

The rules in the western world were broadly the same until around 1950.

They even made a Hollywood movie highlighting the discrepancy (I was a Male war Bride 1949 starring Cary Grant).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bugger bognor said:

Thailand could learn a few lessons from Cambodia 300 dollars for a year reTirement Visa 2 pictures  took 2weeks to get no paperwork no embassy or immigration vIsit done from my hotel no 90 day report no tm30 and multiple entRY and a very warm welcome

And, consequently, they attract even more of the low-end degenertes Thailand is trying to rid itself of.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My Lord its difficult to use this website on Windows. Always puts me at the end of the page, so I had to learn how to go to the home page with one key. Also, why can't we stop a new post if we decide not to make it, or completely erase one?

Telegram has that one feature I love, I can completely erase any comment I've made. And the person who I sent it to while drunk or angry never sees it.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

It's all about the Kazakhs, baby!  They're the future for Thailand, not the Brits.... 🙂

Thailand scraps visa requirements for Kazakhstan tourists

This move aims to increase the influx of tourists from Kazakhstan, one of the rapidly evolving markets for Thailand’s tourism sector and a significant contributor to the nation’s economic development.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1325321-thailand-scraps-visa-requirements-for-kazakhstan-tourists/#comment-18853174

🙈  🙉  🙊

The last thing Brits want is to fly into a moral crusade- in fact they come here to let their hair down.  Otherwise, they may as well go to Spain, which is more convenient too. More discerning tourists are discovering the charms of Vietnam, etc. Thailand isn't such great value for money these days either.  Brits really got hit big by the cost of living crisis- money is always a factor.  

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, rexpotter said:

My Lord its difficult to use this website on Windows. Always puts me at the end of the page, so I had to learn how to go to the home page with one key.

Scroll and read the posts in reverse order. That way you can stop at the last one you read already. Sorted.

10 minutes ago, rexpotter said:

Also, why can't we stop a new post if we decide not to make it, or completely erase one?

Not in the business model. The idea is to have large database of nonsense, though there's some informal, unwritten rule that you can't quote a member's old nonsense from years ago back to him. That said, there's a lot of good info from years ago, though perhaps none that you posted.

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

This is interesting and humorous. 

Why do western women get the Thai passport so easily, but western guys will probably never get it?

Because Kaun Thai is as sexist as he is racist, which is hard on the women who do all the work here...

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

File photo for reference only

BANGKOK – Thailand, a country that has long held a special place in the hearts of British travelers and expats, is witnessing a significant drop in the number of visitors from the United Kingdom. A detailed analysis by the Pattaya Mail, along with insights from industry experts, highlights a complex set of factors driving this shift.  This trend raises concerns for Thailand's tourism-dependent economy, its expat community, and its future appeal to British travelers.

From Staple Destination to Shifting Tides

For decades, British tourists have flocked to Thailand's sun-drenched beaches, vibrant cities, and affordable cost of living. Expats have enjoyed the tropical climate, entrepreneurial opportunities, and the Thai hospitality that made the country a popular choice for establishing a life abroad. However, a combination of economic, bureaucratic, and competitive pressures is eroding Thailand's traditional appeal for British travelers.

The Cost Factor: Rising Expenses and Neighboring Options

The rising cost of international airfare, fueled by global inflation and fluctuating fuel prices, is taking a toll on British travel budgets. Simultaneously, other Southeast Asian destinations like Vietnam, Indonesia, and Cambodia are becoming increasingly popular. These destinations offer similar cultural experiences and exotic allure, often at a lower price point. This increased competition puts pressure on Thailand to offer a uniquely compelling value proposition to attract cost-conscious tourists.

Expat Challenges: Bureaucracy and Diminishing Opportunities

British expats in Thailand report navigating increasingly complex immigration procedures, including stricter visa requirements and work permit regulations. This bureaucratic maze is discouraging potential expats, while those already established may feel a waning sense of security.

"Thailand used to be welcoming to foreign entrepreneurs and skilled workers," remarked a British expat running a business in Bangkok. "Now, it feels like they're putting up roadblocks, which makes you think twice about the long-term viability of staying here."

Furthermore, a perception is growing among British expats that high-quality job opportunities, particularly in sought-after sectors like education and technology, are dwindling. This creates uncertainty for those planning a move and disincentivizes existing expats who may be considering other locations in the region.

The "X-Factor": Thailand's Evolving Image

Beyond tangible costs and regulations, a subtler shift in Thailand's perceived image may be at play. Some British tourists mention concerns about overdevelopment in certain areas, diminishing authenticity, and occasional reports of scams or incidents targeting foreigners. While these issues might not be widespread, they can contribute to an overall impression that influences a traveler's decision-making process.

Consequences for Thailand

The decline in British tourism and the shrinking expat community could have far-reaching consequences for Thailand. British visitors have been a consistent source of revenue, particularly for businesses catering to Western tastes and preferences. A decrease in spending power from this demographic could strain local economies dependent on tourism.

Additionally, the expat community plays a vital role in Thailand's workforce. British expats often possess skills and expertise that contribute to sectors like education, hospitality, and entrepreneurship. Their diminishing numbers could create gaps in the labor market and stifle innovation driven by foreign business ventures.

Potential Strategies: Rekindling the Connection

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is acutely aware of these trends and the need to adapt. Targeted marketing campaigns highlighting Thailand's unique offerings, such as its rich cultural heritage, diverse natural landscapes, and world-renowned cuisine, could help re-ignite British interest.  Additionally, the government may need to reassess policies affecting expats. Streamlining visa and work permit processes, and fostering a welcoming environment for foreign businesses, could reverse the perception of increasing barriers.

Conclusion

Whether this decline represents a temporary dip or a long-term change in British travel preferences remains to be seen. Thailand has an opportunity to address the underlying causes and revitalize its connection with British tourists and expats. Success will depend on navigating economic realities, easing bureaucratic hurdles, and preserving the qualities that made Thailand a beloved destination in the first place.

-- ASEAN NOW 2024-04-20

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

I just want to say, once more, that this is an incredibly interesting photo image posted in the OP.

For example, in this image, we see the obvious statues which are part of the "background/foreground" of the original image.

But then, we quickly notice that the "humans" shown in this image are, in fact, posed as statues, and are not actually part of the image, but have been placed "in" the original image, or on top of it.

So, I wonder where this image came from.

I like it....MUCH.