Thailand faces a decline in British tourists and expats: Causes and Consequences

webfact

Thailand or Phuket the Pearl of the Andaman has always been corrupt after the tsunami they got greedy and started ripping off Tourists to make up for the lost revenue. From the Police to bars to hotels they were and still are biting the hand that feeds them with the attitude of " There will be a plane full coming along soon " Have they shown any interest in addressing the scams from jet skis to restaurants double pricing to bar scams no. Many will remember a Police Head was brought into Phuket with his claim of I will clean up the corruption and mafia Taxis in existence mmm i think within a month he was removed from the island completely, and its business as usual but some have seen through all this B/S and have voted with their feet now the TAT are wandering why we have left.

Edited by BarraMarra
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

Asking because I don't know (not to be a smartass)...  Did London-BKK used to fly over Russkie airspace, or did they veer south? 

I have been going back and fore for 25 years and in that time the majority of flights have been through the middle east and across India. Some direct flights have gone to the north of India and in the days of USSR would  have been in Soviet airspace.

Not sure about the northern scandanavian countries, and of course there is always Aeroflot.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

File photo for reference only

BANGKOK – Thailand, a country that has long held a special place in the hearts of British travelers and expats, is witnessing a significant drop in the number of visitors from the United Kingdom.

Bad analysis IMHO. Joni Mitchell had it right decades ago in her song "Big Yellow Taxi"

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Edited by expat_4_life

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Typical falang rhetoric, reality is Brits have driven themselves out by deciding to stay at home. The majority of Brits do not like foreigners unless there is some benefit involved. They wanted the sun on the Costa del Fortune and then changed the environment to suit themselves.

The benefits that attracted Brits are evaporating, in my first decade prices hardly moved but since 2010 there has been a significant upward trend in Thai wages bringing the inflation factor into play, particularly with accommodation. Inflation of course has a significant effect on every nationality in receipt of a frozen pension so not surprising the numbers are reducing. Remind me how many nationalities are on a frozen pension.

Brexit was a stark reminder on how little respect the English have for foreign nationals and Thailand trying to clarify and diversify doesn't sit well, and not just with Brits.

Bexit! BLS. You just can't help yourself, Sandy.

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

The majority of Brits do not like foreigners unless there is some benefit involved. They wanted the sun on the Costa del Fortune and then changed the environment to suit themselves.

So true.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Funny. Guess you asked for it. Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall within Thailand, some guy, who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any focus or effort to a reasonable reply, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or maybe you should leave, or I am concerned about you, or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". Hard to even respond to such inane statements. Why? Because I have some issues with the place? The nature of a discerning mind, is to have issues. Though absolute contentment must be a beautiful state of mind, it is not something most of us are blessed with, in case you have not noticed. The fact that I complain, does not mean I do not love Thailand, nor most of it's people. I do. I love my life here. I have a very good life here. But, I do have some complaints, and there are some things I would love to see improved. I should leave because of that?

Please. Next time you make a post, try to devote at least two moments of thought to it.

You endlessly complain.

It would be terrible to spend time in real life with you.

Cheer up mate.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Furioso said:

I'm wondering if wage theft is simply slamming the Brits way more than other western countries? 

Quite, but why "wage theft" when pension theft is more prevalent. Not only does the UK have a froxen pension they also have a frozen tax threshold. This year workers got some offset with a reduction in NI contributions.

3 minutes ago, transam said:

When it comes to racist, I would say you are, you have a thing about British folk, you even search the Net looking for dirt on them. Sad really........:coffee1:

Have you thought about heading back?

Could you afford to?

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Asking because I don't know...  Did London-BKK used to fly over Russkie airspace, or did they veer south? 

From China to Thailand, I'm paying way less than pre-Covid.  But the selection of flights is poor, with no non-stops when there used to be a lot of non-stops each day.

Not over Russia for Thai Air or Eva Air . They fly over Afghanistan , Pakistan / India . Recently changed their flight paths to avoid Ukraine , Israel , Iran .

Certainly , flying with a Chinese airline will be a lot cheaper if you don't mind a long stop over . I prefer non stop flights . Have a few drinks and sleep . Don't like the hassle of security checks and re-boarding . 

Once used Scoot Air from Gatwick . Half the normal price , direct and new aircraft . Sadly they no longer fly direct to Thailand .

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Its of no coincidence that the decline in quality tourists begin to wane around the same time that i left Thailand a few years ago lol.

Fear not statisticians, I'll be out here again in around a year, gentrifying Hua Hin and the surrounding area once more.

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Every cloud has a silver lining.

I only have a problem with people from a certain country (European) and it certainly is not the British 

• Like 1

How about answering the problems asked on the thread heading. Lets look at how will Phuket will respond to the decline of the Brits and how will the Governor of Phuket entice brits back? Only a few days ago the Taxi mafia were threatening a tourist in Patong even the thai g/f was threatened with violence. Why should we travel their and run the risk of a pack of Animals beating you because youwere being ripped off by a Tuk Tuk driver, was he photographed and seen as a deterrent no he was likely back on the beach rd ready for the next tourist to rip off.

• Sad 1

The only way for the Thai scammers to learn is that the number of tourists declined to a lower number than during the so called pandemic.

If a couple of million Thais would die, it might be an incentive to the rest to stop dual pricing and stop  scamming foreigners in Thailand.

Foreigners don't want to pay 50 baht or 100 baht, for something Thais pay 40 baht. Even 10 baht overprice is too much.

Cost Factor and Rising Expenses: It's understandable that rising costs, including airfare and overall expenses, could influence travel decisions. The emergence of other Southeast Asian destinations offering similar experiences at potentially lower costs poses a significant challenge for Thailand. However, it's essential to highlight Thailand's unique offerings and experiences that might justify the higher expenses compared to its competitors.

Expat Challenges: The bureaucratic hurdles and perceived diminishing opportunities for expats are indeed concerning. Thailand has long been known for its welcoming attitude towards foreigners, and any shift away from this reputation could have detrimental effects on its attractiveness as a destination for long-term living and business ventures. Addressing these concerns through streamlined processes and fostering a conducive environment for foreign entrepreneurs and skilled workers is crucial for retaining and attracting talent.

Thailand's Evolving Image: Perception matters greatly in the tourism industry, and any negative shifts in Thailand's image could impact visitor numbers. While concerns about overdevelopment and authenticity are valid, it's essential to emphasize the efforts being made to preserve cultural heritage and maintain sustainable tourism practices. Highlighting lesser-known gems and off-the-beaten-path experiences can also help counteract negative perceptions.

Consequences for Thailand: The decline in British tourism and expat numbers could indeed have far-reaching consequences for Thailand's economy and workforce. Diversifying tourism strategies to attract visitors from other regions and addressing the concerns of expats could mitigate some of these effects. Additionally, investing in local talent development and fostering innovation within domestic industries can help reduce dependence on foreign expertise.

Potential Strategies: The suggested strategies, such as targeted marketing campaigns and policy reassessments, are promising avenues for revitalizing Thailand's appeal to British travelers and expats. Collaboration between government agencies, tourism authorities, and private sector stakeholders will be essential in implementing these strategies effectively.

In conclusion, while the challenges outlined in the article are significant, they also present opportunities for Thailand to adapt and evolve its tourism and expat policies. By addressing the underlying issues and leveraging its unique strengths, Thailand can strive to regain its position as a top destination for British travelers and expats alike.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Never ever anything about Australians

Maybe because the Aussies are not constantly in the news for druggies begging at 7/11, the Brit biting Thais, throwing glasses in dog cafes, taking a dump in the street at Nana, kiddy fiddling teachers, reporting fake kidnappings, boiler rooms, domestic violence etc etc

It is what it is. I wish it wasnt so bad out there but it is.

So obviously the declining numbers will have an effect of reducing these unsavoury stories. 

Lets hope so.

• Sad 2