8 minutes ago, itsari said:

Thanks so much to you too for your ignorance 

You make claims you can't support and call me ignorant, got it. 

I'm guessing you're a leftist, yes? 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

You make claims you can't support and call me ignorant, got it. 

I'm guessing you're a leftist, yes? 

You can call me left right or centre but the fact remains that we all must be carefull when using QR codes .

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, itsari said:

You can call me left right or centre but the fact remains that we all must be carefull when using QR codes .

I think you not understand the system. If you scan a QR code with the banking app, how they would steal your Information?

As in the QR there is no information about your banking account information! How the seller should know?

In your print-screen where it's talking about QR Scam, this about scan a QR which lead you to a website, where people then enter information, but to be honest, this has nothing to do with specially QR. You also could open a link in a email, sms with a faulty link.

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, HampiK said:

I think you not understand the system. If you scan a QR code with the banking app, how they would steal your Information?

As in the QR there is no information about your banking account information! How the seller should know?

In your print-screen where it's talking about QR Scam, this about scan a QR which lead you to a website, where people then enter information, but to be honest, this has nothing to do with specially QR. You also could open a link in a email, sms with a faulty link.

He has no idea, but claims it's a fact.

6 hours ago, WilliamSmits said:

You have places that don't accept cash and places that don't accept digital payments (market stalls)

Digital is preferred it seems to stop employees from handling money, cash is preferred to keep income hidden from the taxman. 

Best to have both. I prefer cash but use the phone or cc at "trusted" places...

Don't think I've encountered any Thai that won't accept qr payment, all the market stalls, roadside stalls and shop have their qr code prominently displayed.

And if they didn't I'd ask "sakan Mai".

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Lorry said:

That's a VERY big disadvantage. 

It's not only income,  its expenses too - your whole economic life you send immediately to "the authorities".

In theory, yes, the “authorities” could map out your income and expenses, in practice though it can get very complicated.

For example in Thailand, I have 3 different bank accounts, and I also use both my Wise and Revolut cards (which Thai authorities can’t just subpoena to get bank statements).

So you have to collect statement from at least five entities, and adding to that, the actual bank statements in Thailand are absolutely terrible!

Many of my payments are just “Debit Card Spending” or it will be a payment to 2C2P, ร้านถุงเงิน, or to the shopping mall group (a lot of vendors in a mall apparently use payment infrastructure provided by the mall).

So yeah… in theory going 100% electronic, big brother can see all your expenses, but in practice the tech does not seem to be there.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Highlandman said:

Why wouldn't vendors accept cash? This is Thailand! Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

Have you been to a food court in Thailand? They have been cashless for a decade or more.

This is probably about hygiene, you don’t want the person handling your food to also touch dirty cash.

In Taiwan I actually saw one shop that had a bowl with coins and instructed customers to “help themselves” (to change) when paying, as he did not want to touch these coins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

back on the uk for a visit, contactless payment is so quick and easy, don't understand why thailand has implemented the faffy QR system when a much more efficient and effective payment system is available.

It's cheap and easy and everyone can access it. 

What does a contactless payment system in the UK cost? I guessing more than just printing out a QR code. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, HampiK said:

I understand the system. I use it every day and I check the name of the account and the amount each time.

To be honest you don't understand what I am trying to inform you about.

3 minutes ago, itsari said:

I understand the system. I use it every day and I check the name of the account and the amount each time.

To be honest you don't understand what I am trying to inform you about.

Neither do you, apparently. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, itsari said:

I try again , but seems you are dense 

Screenshot_20240501_181451.jpg

Which has nothing to do with QR codes used in point-of-sale situations, correct? 

I do not doubt that scammers have found a way to utilize QR codes in their scams, but we are talking about point-of-sale, not email scams. 

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It's cheap and easy and everyone can access it. 

What does a contactless payment system in the UK cost? I guessing more than just printing out a QR code. 

it doesn't cost anything. and i don't need a printer. 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, it is what it is said:

it doesn't cost anything. and i don't need a printer. 😁

I meant what does it cost the vendor, not the customer. 😁😁😁

22 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Which has nothing to do with QR codes used in point-of-sale situations, correct? 

I do not doubt that scammers have found a way to utilize QR codes in their scams, but we are talking about point-of-sale, not email scams. 

Look at the last sentence what I sent you.

13 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I meant what does it cost the vendor, not the customer. 😁😁😁

Nothing, zero fee, if the vendor has PromptPay connected to a private bank account.

I guess it could be a small fee for the vendor if it's a business bank account connected.

5 minutes ago, george said:

Nothing, zero fee, if the vendor has PromptPay connected to a private bank account.

I guess it could be a small fee for the vendor if it's a business bank account connected.

I am not talking about transaction fees, I am talking about the capital investment for the equipment required to accept a no-contact payment, at say a Home Depot or Walmart or some-such in the west. 

Does the bank provide everything free of charge to the vendor? 

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You scan the QR code, show the shop-keeper the name on the screen (check or enter the amount) and ask 'is this you?'

Now explain to me how there can be fraud or theft?

Man-in-the-middle attack

As with internet banking, possible with QR code.

(With normal internet banking, many countries require 2 factor authentication)

If you hand over cash,  there is no man in the middle. 

Someone noted, using QR code the vendor's phone will ring once he got the money.  

This is often not the case (if you pay to staff of the vendor). And anyway,  it's after the fact.  If the vendor didn't get the money,  you know something went wrong - went wrong already. 

17 minutes ago, itsari said:

Look at the last sentence what I sent you.

So, they sneak in and swap the QR code while the shop owner is not paying attention? 

Does the shop owner's phone not beep when they receive the funds? 

1 hour ago, lkn said:

So yeah… in theory going 100% electronic, big brother can see all your expenses, but in practice the tech does not seem to be there.

Not yet.

They are working hard on it.

Going cashless is the first necessary step. 

2 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Read my post above of yours. 

So yes, the shop owner's phone beeps when they receive the funds. 

If someone has swapped out the QR code, the owner's phone would not beep, correct? 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, lkn said:

food court in Thailand? They have been cashless for a decade or more.

Much longer.

They used coupons before they used cash cards. 

They wouldn't trust all the staff to handle money. 

But the food courts' cash cards are not connected to a countrywide surveillance like prompt pay and bank cards are. They are local and anonymous.

If you know Taiwan,  you might have experienced how efficient big brother there was in 2020.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So yes, the shop owner's phone beeps when they receive the funds. 

If someone has swapped out the QR code, the owner's phone would not beep, correct? 

I told you,  read my post.

I repeat it, especially for you:

Someone noted, using QR code the vendor's phone will ring once he got the money.  

This is often not the case (if you pay to staff of the vendor). And anyway,  it's after the fact.  If the vendor didn't get the money,  you know something went wrong - went wrong already. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So, they sneak in and swap the QR code while the shop owner is not paying attention? 

Does the shop owner's phone not beep when they receive the funds? 

In that scenario the shopkeeper will not receive the amount . Then you have to try and find out where your money has gone. Simple

Hopefully it never happens to you but I can assure you it is happening everyday around the world  Perhaps the thieves have not caught on in Thailand 

12 minutes ago, Lorry said:

I told you,  read my post.

I repeat it, especially for you:

Someone noted, using QR code the vendor's phone will ring once he got the money.  

I read it. If the owner does not get the money, their phone does not beep. 

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, itsari said:

In that scenario the shopkeeper will not receive the amount . Then you have to try and find out where your money has gone. Simple

Hopefully it never happens to you but I can assure you it is happening everyday around the world  Perhaps the thieves have not caught on in Thailand 

Or they just put up the correct QR code. 

And if they have the phony QR code, they know where the money is going, yes? 

Edited by Yellowtail
  • Sad 1