I know about the protection from banks with a credit card, but what about a debit card? I have had 3 withdrawals from sources I had never heard of amounting to over 3000Bt in the past two weeks even though I told the bank not to pay out. Do I have any protection with a debit card?

With a credit card, it's the banks money, the card issuer must fight to get its money back. With a debit card, you must fight to get your money back.

Bank accounts should be monitored regularly and any unauthorised account transactions must be reported immediately to the bank.

Edited by freeworld

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

I know about the protection from banks with a credit card, but what about a debit card? I have had 3 withdrawals from sources I had never heard of amounting to over 3000Bt in the past two weeks even though I told the bank not to pay out. Do I have any protection with a debit card?

Read the terms and conditions. The banks regularly updates those and sends them out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CharlieH said:

If the card details are being used by another DESTROY the card and ask for a replacement. 

Problem solved.

Then there can be no further charges or disputes.

That has already been done Charlie and I took my wife with me to the bank. The tellers don't speak any English but the wife helped me and the teller cut my  card up. I left only a few hundred Bt in my account and put the rest into my new account. I am now paranoid about it happening again with my new account.

6 hours ago, freeworld said:

With a credit card, it's the banks money, the card issuer must fight to get its money back. With a debit card, you must fight to get your money back.

Bank accounts should be monitored regularly and any unauthorised account transactions must be reported immediately to the bank.

I did that right away. The bank even know who it was. I showed then the email from the company on my smartphone involved and they still did not stop them taking my money.

9 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

That has already been done Charlie and I took my wife with me to the bank. The tellers don't speak any English but the wife helped me and the teller cut my  card up. I left only a few hundred Bt in my account and put the rest into my new account. I am now paranoid about it happening again with my new account.

So don't have a debit card on the account and pay for everything using your phone app and QR scans.

Or

On your phone banking app deactivate your debit card when it's not in use.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

What do you mean by "I told the bank not to pay out". You were expecting these transactions before they happened ?

Are the withdrawals from an ATM ? How did they get your PIN?

If your card has been skimmed and and you inform the bank, then you will be reimbursed.

Credit cards or debit cards are no different when it comes to an unauthorized transaction.

"You were expecting these transactions before they happened ?" Yes I was, it came up on my email account. I immediately went to my bank and tried to stop it, the bank did not. Both the bank and myself know the companies responsible. They are not Thai they are from Cyprus and they refuse to tell me how they got my bank details details. I am fighting with my Bank to get them to refund the money back, though I don't see much hope.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

So don't have a debit card on the account and pay for everything using your phone app and QR scans.

Or

I have got a new account with a debit card. My debit card with my Bangkok Bank has now been cut up.

I have got a new account with a debit card. My debit card with my Bangkok Bank has now been cut up.

BritManToo was advising it's safer not to have a card. If you need cash from an ATM use contactless withdrawal with your mobile phone. Alternatively, deactivate your card when not required via your mobile banking app.

• Haha 1

"You were expecting these transactions before they happened ?" Yes I was, it came up on my email account. I immediately went to my bank and tried to stop it, the bank did not. Both the bank and myself know the companies responsible. They are not Thai they are from Cyprus and they refuse to tell me how they got my bank details details. I am fighting with my Bank to get them to refund the money back, though I don't see much hope.

What kind of business  are the Cypriot company ?

Is there a reason why they took the money ?

Did someone use your card to buy something from them ?

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

BritManToo was advising it's safer not to have a card. If you need cash from an ATM use contactless withdrawal with your mobile phone. Alternatively, deactivate your card when not required via your mobile banking app.

I'm really sorry about my ignorance here and appreciate your help.  I like the idea of deactivating my card. So can I do that and activate my card just before I want to use it. I have the app and use it at the likes of Makro, and topping up my phone, I will try and learn to do that. Thanks again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I'm really sorry about my ignorance here and appreciate your help.  I like the idea of deactivating my card. So can I do that and activate my card just before I want to use it. I have the app and use it at the likes of Makro, and topping up my phone, I will try and learn to do that. Thanks again.

You're welcome. I just tried it myself but can't because I don't have a debit card. I did previously but it expired and they didn't send a new one and I didn't ask for one!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nick Carter icp said:

What kind of business  are the Cypriot company ?

Is there a reason why they took the money ?

Did someone use your card to buy something from them ?

There are two companies both in Cyprus, no one has had my card, one is called OnlineYoga I don't know about their business. The other is called Allclothes club, they sell clothes online.. I honestly have never heard of any of them.

6 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

You're welcome. I just tried it myself but can't because I don't have a debit card. I did previously but it expired and they didn't send a new one and I didn't ask for one!

Read the post just in from Nick Carter icp.

3 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

There are two companies both in Cyprus, no one has had my card, one is called OnlineYoga I don't know about their business. The other is called Allclothes club, they sell clothes online.. I honestly have never heard of any of them.

Appears to be that someone has been using your card online .

Do you know anyone who is interested in Yoga ?

1 minute ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Appears to be that someone has been using your card online .

Do you know anyone who is interested in Yoga ?

My card has been in my wallet all the time, no one has access to it. The very first time it happened it appeared as an email. They must have had access to my email address as well as my bank details.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

My card has been in my wallet all the time, no one has access to it. The very first time it happened it appeared as an email. They must have had access to my email address as well as my bank details.

Hackers in Moldova obtained access to my AliExpress account. I had saved my credit card information in my AliExpress account thus they were able to order goods and have them delivered to their address in Moldova. AliExpress sent me an email telling me my goods were on their way. I was too late to stop the first 'trial' purchase but it was only for $6 USD and I got that back from my bank. I cancelled my credit card so further orders couldn't be made.

49 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Hackers in Moldova obtained access to my AliExpress account. I had saved my credit card information in my AliExpress account thus they were able to order goods and have them delivered to their address in Moldova. AliExpress sent me an email telling me my goods were on their way. I was too late to stop the first 'trial' purchase but it was only for $6 USD and I got that back from my bank. I cancelled my credit card so further orders couldn't be made.

Yes but mine was a debit card, that's why I thing I will not be refunded. Mine was not hackers I know who they are and have said so, they said they got my bank details from me but my debit card was in my wallet all the time.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Or

Or

Have a dedicated prepaid Visa debit card which is only used for online purchases or payments.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Or

Have a dedicated prepaid Visa debit card which is only used for online purchases or payments.

I like the idea of deactivating the debit card when it's not in use, I will just need to look through the app and find out how to deactivate the card then activate it when needed.

I like the idea of deactivating the debit card when it's not in use, I will just need to look through the app and find out how to deactivate the card then activate it when needed.

Better to cut it up and don't get a new one. Use QR codes for payments and cardless withdrawal for cash.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Better to cut it up and don't get a new one. Use QR codes for payments and cardless withdrawal for cash.

I will wait a little while and see what's best, I have just opened a new account with another bank and kept my Bangkok bank account open but only a deposit account as I transfer funds to my Bangkok bank from my UK bank through Wise.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I will wait a little while and see what's best, I have just opened a new account with another bank and kept my Bangkok bank account open but only a deposit account as I transfer funds to my Bangkok bank from my UK bank through Wise.

You have an ATM card at the new bank or are you using QR codes as I suggested? You're not fixing anything by just getting an ATM at another bank.

I use QR codes everytime I shop at Makro's as they don't accept debit cards. I will start to use them more. I'm confused about your last sentence. Thanks for trying to help.

On 4/23/2024 at 7:57 AM, NoshowJones said:

have you considered asking the bank?