3 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

have you considered asking the bank?

Yes, I took my wife with me as the tellers cannot speak much English, so I am just now waiting to hear from them.

18 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

"You were expecting these transactions before they happened ?" Yes I was, it came up on my email account. I immediately went to my bank and tried to stop it, the bank did not. Both the bank and myself know the companies responsible. They are not Thai they are from Cyprus and they refuse to tell me how they got my bank details details. I am fighting with my Bank to get them to refund the money back, though I don't see much hope.

first you said you didnt know about the companies involved and it now turns out you got an email from both companies before the withdrawls? easier if you give all the correct details first so you can get good suggestions. If you went to the bank before the withdrawals were made then you have an argument with the bank as you notified them prior that they were fraudulent and they have cctv that is time stamped to show when you notified them. Debit cards do not have the same protection as Credit cards, just as an FYI and neither have the same protection enforcement here in country as in most western countries. Its obvious that card was skimmed somewhere fairly recently and your data sold. I would be thinking where I used that card at recently

3 minutes ago, Dan O said:

first you said you didnt know about the companies involved and it now turns out you got an email from both companies before the withdrawls? easier if you give all the correct details first so you can get good suggestions. If you went to the bank before the withdrawals were made then you have an argument with the bank as you notified them prior that they were fraudulent and they have cctv that is time stamped to show when you notified them. Debit cards do not have the same protection as Credit cards, just as an FYI and neither have the same protection enforcement here in country as in most western countries. Its obvious that card was skimmed somewhere fairly recently and your data sold. I would be thinking where I used that card at recently

Excellent post thanks, I think now that your last two sentences have got it right. Now that I think about it I did try to sign up for something like FM Movies, but not them, because they had a TV series I could not get with FM movies. So that's why your last two sentences make so much sense.

Thanks again.

17 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

My card has been in my wallet all the time, no one has access to it. The very first time it happened it appeared as an email. They must have had access to my email address as well as my bank details.

Unlike a hack where nefarious characters specifically steal personal banking info, there's a chance that your personal banking data has been 'scraped'.

You tend to hear about the former, either via the media or from your bank, card company or the business that has been hacked. On the other hand, data 'scrapes' tend to gather a broader range of personal data, not specifically targeting banking info and appears to not set off alarms. Of course, some of that trove of data may have some banking information or can be matched up with something that has.

I became aware of the difference a few years back when I learned via an IT-related website that LinkedIn and FaceBook (twice) had data scrapes. I am not a member of the FaceBook but LinkedIn did not advise their membership that this had happened. Furthermore, I asked a friend who is a FB user and he said he hadn't been notified by FB of any security or personal data issues either.

I then used a web-based utility that checks if email addresses are secure or has been 'lifted' and linked to fraud and found that the email address I used as my LinkedIn login was red-flagged. After closing that email account and setting up new email accounts with a different ISP, I spent a few days purging online accounts that either used the dodgy email address for a login or were no longer being used. Bit of a ball-ache as the dodgy email address had been in use since Al Gore invented the internet.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Unlike a hack where nefarious characters specifically steal personal banking info, there's a chance that your personal banking data has been 'scraped'.

You tend to hear about the former, either via the media or from your bank, card company or the business that has been hacked. On the other hand, data 'scrapes' tend to gather a broader range of personal data, not specifically targeting banking info and appears to not set off alarms. Of course, some of that trove of data may have some banking information or can be matched up with something that has.

I became aware of the difference a few years back when I learned via an IT-related website that LinkedIn and FaceBook (twice) had data scrapes. I am not a member of the FaceBook but LinkedIn did not advise their membership that this had happened. Furthermore, I asked a friend who is a FB user and he said he hadn't been notified by FB of any security or personal data issues either.

I then used a web-based utility that checks if email addresses are secure or has been 'lifted' and linked to fraud and found that the email address I used as my LinkedIn login was red-flagged. After closing that email account and setting up new email accounts with a different ISP, I spent a few days purging online accounts that either used the dodgy email address for a login or were no longer being used. Bit of a ball-ache as the dodgy email address had been in use since Al Gore invented the internet.

Thanks a lot, that is very interesting. I have just had a message from Bangkok Bank that they have put 1,936.81 back into my account, so that was about 2/3rds of what was taken from my account. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Thanks a lot, that is very interesting. I have just had a message from Bangkok Bank that they have put 1,936.81 back into my account, so that was about 2/3rds of what was taken from my account. 

Marvelous what happens when you go to the bank with your mommy.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

Thanks for letting us know. Good news, be positive. That may be it or, hopefully, the remainder in dispute may still be under investigation?

• Love It 1

On 4/23/2024 at 6:15 PM, NoshowJones said:

Yes but mine was a debit card, that's why I thing I will not be refunded. Mine was not hackers I know who they are and have said so, they said they got my bank details from me but my debit card was in my wallet all the time.

You never handed it to a waiter, who went in the back room to run it? Once they copy all the data on the card, they're good-to-go for online thievery. That's why it's recommended you blank out your CVV number, as it's not needed for "present" card purchases -- only "not present" (online) usage. Obviously, record that number somewhere before you obliterate it (I found permanent ink won't cover up the impression, thus you need to razor blade some plastic off).

And, obviously, destroying your card won't stop online thievery, when somebody's already copied your card information. Need to report it immediately to the fraud dept of your bank, who will cancel it -- and any subsequent usage will be denied, and no further liability. Hate the idea of somebody able to empty my bank account, 'cause I have a debit card; credit cards definitely mo' betta.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JimGant said:

You never handed it to a waiter, who went in the back room to run it? Once they copy all the data on the card, they're good-to-go for online thievery. That's why it's recommended you blank out your CVV number, as it's not needed for "present" card purchases -- only "not present" (online) usage. Obviously, record that number somewhere before you obliterate it (I found permanent ink won't cover up the impression, thus you need to razor blade some plastic off).

And, obviously, destroying your card won't stop online thievery, when somebody's already copied your card information. Need to report it immediately to the fraud dept of your bank, who will cancel it -- and any subsequent usage will be denied, and no further liability. Hate the idea of somebody able to empty my bank account, 'cause I have a debit card; credit cards definitely mo' betta.

I was refunded yesterday, and no, I did not hand my card to a waiter, but after what you have said I will make sure my new debit card with another bank does not go out of my sight. Your second paragraph, everything you have mentioned has been done. Thanks.

On 4/23/2024 at 2:56 PM, BritManToo said:

So don't have a debit card on the account and pay for everything using your phone app and QR scans.

Or

On your phone banking app deactivate your debit card when it's not in use.

This doesn't work if you travel internationally a lot.

• Thanks 1