Second phase of Thai-Chinese high-speed rail project approved

webfact

4 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

You're joking surly. 

No I'm not.

For example, it's gonna take the Chinese a very very long time to break-even on their B&R initiative.

In the long run no doubt infrastructures make a profit but you gotta be patient.

21 minutes ago, TheFatOne said:

Educating oneself doesn't mean reading opinion pieces in US newspaper 😄 😄

whatever you say boss. I was giving you various sources on the topic. up to you to decipher however you chose. 

• Thanks 1

THe concern is the ever increasing Chinese influence over countries in the region.

THe west has made no effort whatsoever to increase there influence - even expats ar moaning that they aren't being treate fairly.

It's hard to see what the West has to offer, but in the end the influence of the west is seriously on the wane, and nothing to do with military it's just the wet will have yto get used that they are now the "third world" - in the original sense. - an irrelevence.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, BayArea said:

saly you are a "one quote wonder"

THe west loves stories of impending doom in China and point to the autocratic nature of the country - there is a lot of ttruth in this but they are barking up the wrong tree - autocratic or not China is in a far better position than the west - with there own idiots like Trump Brexit and the right - it isn't a military problem - before the west knows it China will be the dominant power in most of Asia - the only opposition is India.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

saly you are a "one quote wonder"

THe west loves stories of impending doom in China and point to the autocratic nature of the country - there is a lot of ttruth in this but they are barking up the wrong tree - autocratic or not China is in a far better position than the west - with there own idiots like Trump Brexit and the right - it isn't a military problem - before the west knows it China will be the dominant power in most of Asia - the only opposition is India.

I can't think of any type of industry where China didn't get stronger in the last 5 years. The actions of the US government paint the real picture - increasing number of "trade probes", sanctions etc. Nothing has worked so far.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Great news for the CCP that's for sure. I would like to know the % of Chinese workers brought in to do the work and get paid by the Thai taxpayer to Thai workers. 

Thailand doesn't have the equipment, knowledge or experience to build such a project.  TH seems to have a problem building simple roadways without them collapsing, before even used.

They/TH, just recently managed to keep their slow A$$ trains from derailing almost monthly, as they did days past, and not that long ago.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, gearbox said:

The actions of the US government paint the real picture

The US just haven't got a clue.

It is a characteristic of US foreign policy that they just don't get the rest of the world..... they never have. They only see it in terms of Amerigo-centricity....

And even when they were the biggest boy on the block they seldom got away with it.

Now they haven't got a snowflake's chance in hell.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

THe concern is the ever increasing Chinese influence over countries in the region.

THe west has made no effort whatsoever to increase there influence - even expats ar moaning that they aren't being treate fairly.

It's hard to see what the West has to offer, but in the end the influence of the west is seriously on the wane, and nothing to do with military it's just the wet will have yto get used that they are now the "third world" - in the original sense. - an irrelevence.

I'm not ... as I'm treated better here, than when I lived in the USA.  No nanny state, dictating every aspect of life.

Most everything is cheaper.  I seem to have more freedom to live the way I want.  Not overly regulated, taxed, and immigration is a breeze.   Healthcare inexpensive & accessible.

Inflation is certainly less, and buying power, especially the last 3 years anyway, has increased, or at least kept up with inflation.  THANKS JOE ... :coffee1:

On Topic (as always) ... rail service to CH would be great, though don't know if I'll be around to take advantage of it.  Will definitely test it out if I am, as that would be way too cool.  I dread the airport hassles and thought of flying in the back of the bus anywhere, more than 1-2 hours.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot of people on this thread seem to think that the trains are for passenger - the reality is that they are first and foremost goods lines and some have started already.

• Thanks 1

Regardless of China's  autocratic methods or even because of them,  regardless of economic predictions of doom, this project is only a small part of a much bigger project.

Western China has always had a trade problem in that anything produced has had to travel EAST to the sea and then circumnavigate either SEAsia or the Pacific.

This means that up until now it has been Eastern China that is the economic power house.

The rail routes now being opened in places like Thailand and Laos are opening North South routes and routes to the Andaman sea and Indian Ocean. This is all part of the much larger New International Land-Sea Trade Corridor, facilitating an economic boom in Western China that extends from Thailand Vietnam etc all the way to Russia. ( yes! Russia too is benefitting from this...the presence of Russian tourists is no coincidence)

We are looking at increased freedom of movement of people and goods at a time when the west is attempting to restrict the flow.

I have driven the route from Map Tha Put to the Chinese border and the development is immense...Next year I hope to go on to Kunming and see what is happening there.

The problem with such autocratic governments being involved (including Thailand) is that there is scant regard to environmental issues or the local populations affected by these developments.

• Thanks 1