How do you deal with soi dogs ?

Dogs in Thailand can be difficult to read,

From the lethargic, barkless beach dogs, to growling soi dogs protecting a doorway, 

I give them all a wide berth,  

Edited by cobra

Rather than a telescoping baton, which is not legal, try a wooden or rattan cane. 

You can carry that everywhere, and can even learn some Martial Arts forms for them.

If you don't want a cane, a strong umbrella, either full or telescoping will work.

This guy sells them out of Poland.  I can attest that the collapsible one works.

https://unbreakableumbrella.com/unbreakable-telescopic-umbrella/

I walk every morning and have a problem with some dogs. I carry a bit of bamboo with me they bark and growl but won’t come near me. Before I use to carry a small taser with me I found they not like the noise and run the other way and if they do come close enough just zap them. I m waiting for my new one to arrive. 

12 hours ago, n00dle said:

Walking around Thailand brandishing a gun -- even a plastic pellet shooting replica -- at soi dogs is downright idiotic. 

You don't brandish the gun, you wear it under your shirt, and this isn't a bad idea. They aren't illegal, and won't scare others thinking it's a real gun.

Soi dogs can be bribed with food, although some are plain mean and will attack anything in their territory. I see this around my house in the country where dogs have killed any cats I bring here that stay outside. Having biscuits handy will make a few friends and dogs will remember you but again this won't always work.

A baseball bat isn't illegal either , if you can get one. A cop isn't going to give you a hard time if you explain yourself. A dog that attacks anyone isn't supposed to be around anyway, unless it's on it's home property and you enter. One of the horns people use at sporting events also will deter them.

• Like 1

Carrying sticks makes you the aggressor. Soi dogs don't like being threatened. They are not looking to attack or bite every person they meet. Staying calm is not easy in the face of potential danger but a good strategy. 

Thais dont like Soi dogs and many of them carry sticks and I have only observed that makes the dogs angrier, so people like me  have to work harder to keep their peace. 

I have been bitten twice while out biking requiring hospital treatment and neither of them were soi dogs. 

Soi dogs are a problem, I agree. 

• Like 1

I hear some Thais reach down to the ground in pretending to pick up a rock to throw at the dog. If there are a lot of aggressive dogs you could always carry a real rock. 

Hmm, would carrying a hammer and some nails be legal?

Edited by zakalwe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, TheFatOne said:

Any recommendations for dealing with an angry soi dog ?

Just got my jeans ripped apart by one near a remote temple in the Hua Hin area.

My leg is fine (just a couple of bruises) but that's really just luck.

So how do you deal with this usually ?

Never had it that bad riding my bicycle!!

Friend of mine prepares a little food in a bag and just throws it on the ground, eventually they get used to you. I personally shout at the dog in a loud voice 

15 hours ago, TheFatOne said:

Take a lot of treats with you. And don't show you're afraid. And don't look at them, not into the eyes in particular.🙏

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

You've obviously never been a bicyclist in Thailand. 

First of all, where in the op or anywhere in this thread does anyone mention cycling?

Next, when you say never been a cyclist in Thailand does this count?

Last 4 Weeks   
Activities / Week 6
Avg Distance / Week 198.6 km
Avg Time / Week 8h 3m

Activities 73
Distance 3,116.2 km
Elev Gain 4,033 m
Time 128h 43m

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Buy a rechargeable taser from an online store or tourist market.

Not to actually tase the dog!

Press the button and see the reaction from the dog - they hate the sound and run.

I use one when cycling in the morning - carrying a stick on a bicycle is too cumbersome. It works well on the pack of 8 dogs at my local temple and so far, 2 years, none has ventured near.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Air pellet pistol, using the PLASTIC and not metal pellets. No real harm and it's more the sound that scares them that does the trick.

Sure, i never go out without my gun strapped to my waist !!

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Don't care but that's one reason why it's in a waist band. You'd probably rather be bitten?

Who wants to everyday carry a baton every time you go out? I guess you could do it in problem areas, but it's a hassle to do all the time, especially if you have a cell phone and a wallet as well. Same with pepper spray, do you want to worry about it sitting down to eat or having a beer?

Maybe one of those sonic shriekers would do the trick. They are crazy loud and would scare off anything, especially dogs with sensitive hearing. Not illegal.

IMG_0507.jpeg

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, TheFatOne said:

No problem. If I have no choice, I rather fight a man than a dog.

You should have seen the one that attacked me. A beast.

Man or dog? 

Step one: shout very loudly

Step two: pick something up....or even pretend to pick something up

Step three: if you have a rock throw it, if you have a stick swish it about

Step three: carry a knife.....I have a small, OTF knife. If you are attacked sticks, rocks are totally useless.....you be in shock and bleeding out before you can land a blow.

The only way to stop a real attack is with a knife or a gun.

2 hours ago, zakalwe said:

I hear some Thais reach down to the ground in pretending to pick up a rock to throw at the dog. If there are a lot of aggressive dogs you could always carry a real rock. 

Hmm, would carrying a hammer and some nails be legal?

Are you going to nail them to the road? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not easy with an aggressive soi dog, don't turn your back to it, back away slowly, ideally use a stick or something from the ground. Carry a telescopic batten in a waist bag works for me if I'm walking in a soi dog zone such as through the woods at Pratumnak and Bali Hai

I have a telescopic baton also    depends on the dog     it won't work against some.  Maybe a baton and a high pitched device?

17 hours ago, grain said:

Not a good idea at all. Thais see you whacking dogs with metal pipes and you're a black-hearted foreigner, Thais will love the soi dog more than you, and will probably come and whack you, or call the cops. 

if a dog attacks you   protect yourself and worry about the fallout later.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

I have a telescopic baton also    depends on the dog     it won't work against some.  Maybe a baton and a high pitched device?

I used to carry one.....but one of my kids, who works with attack dogs for the military..... said they are a total waste of money..... totally ineffective once a dog flicks over into attack mode.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, grain said:

Not a good idea at all. Thais see you whacking dogs with metal pipes and you're a black-hearted foreigner, Thais will love the soi dog more than you, and will probably come and whack you, or call the cops. 

Probably true.....but very unfair.....every house in our village has a stick to hand and they are not slow to use it

13 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I used to carry one.....but one of my kids, who works with attack dogs for the military..... said they are a total waste of money..... totally ineffective once a dog flicks over into attack mode.

not a total waste    attack dogs for the military are an entirely different story         even with a handgun you would be the underdog( pardon the  pun) against them.  

Edited by charleskerins
nm
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, TheFatOne said:

Were you bitten??