How do you deal with soi dogs ?

16 hours ago, TheFatOne said:

Yeah had a pair of jeans and boots.

2024-04-24-cleaned.jpg

WTH are you crying about, that's today's style....  Kids these days (and some lame adults still seeking to be young) pay big money for jeans that have holes and rips in them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

WTH are you crying about, that's today's style....  Kids these days (and some lame adults still seeking to be young) pay big money for jeans that have holes and rips in them.

Thanks for the positive attitude here 😄👍

21 hours ago, TheFatOne said:

That's actually an extremely good idea.

I'm gonna have a look on Lazada.

I carry a bamboo stick that I robbed from an old locally made broom. Just saw off the broom straws and you've got a good defensive tool for both 4 and 2 legged aggressive creatives. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why do I only read the suggestion here once to give the dogs something to eat, then they won't see you as an attacker?

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

I've been carrying a stick and a packet of "doggy chews" with me on my daily walk for 17 years now and haven't been bitten. I may just have been lucky, but they seem genuinely cowed by the site of the stick. When I come across dogs which I know are friendly, I hide the stick as best I can and make a bit of a fuss of them. I've made friends with quite a few that used to be nasty by throwing them a couple of doggy chews. Some of them even eat out of my hand.

I agree, I carry dog "cookies" that I order through Lazada & in just a short time I have a bunch of dog buddies - 9....Some really are just starved for attention....I give them all a few pats or belly rub & some kind words + a cookie & we're buds now - enough that some take some guidance....

My Bangkaew doesn't mind at all, just aloofly waiting patiently (which seems to be a trained Bangkaew's trait per the groups I'm linked to).....I run my guy off a bicycle & it's not unusual to have 4 trailing along just for the fun of it....

Now - I live in a rural MuBaan surrounded mostly by fields, many neighbors leave water or leftovers out so these dogs are pretty well fed....

I'm sure that roving packs in a city play by a whole different set of rules....

I always carry a cat under my arm if I'm out. If a dog attacks I release the cat and their point of attack changes.

Seriously though, I've found if I stop, turn away and avoid eye contact they seem to get confused and stop. This only seems to work if it's one dog.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Air pellet pistol, using the PLASTIC and not metal pellets. No real harm and it's more the sound that scares them that does the trick.

I’ve got one. At close range it will penetrate the skin. 

22 hours ago, grain said:

Not a good idea at all. Thais see you whacking dogs with metal pipes and you're a black-hearted foreigner, Thais will love the soi dog more than you, and will probably come and whack you, or call the cops. 

In my experience with Thai's and Dogs, a Thai will go  out of his way on his Motorbike to run the Dog over, its  mostly Thai people who put the Dogs on the Streets in the first place, once they cease to be small, and cuddly, expensive to feed they're thrown onto the streets, or to make themselves feel better,  they put the dogs at the temple

Too many guys think they're the dog whisperer on this thread - its hilarious...  kind of like reading guys suggesting to punch a shark on the nose when a tiger shark / bull shark / great white wants to attack you !!!.... 

--------------

How to deal with Soi dogs?....    Only one solution really - deal with the issue before its an issue: 

1) Dog has collar and owner is responsible - fined if it is found unrestrained on the streets.

2) Dog has no collar - authorities deal with it (i.e. remove / re-house / spay / or destroy).

Due to the failure to adopt effective solutions: 

How to deal with Soi Dogs ???....  You can't, they're a pest and there is no one fits all solution and each situation varies depending on area, how territorial the dog is, how many there are, how aggressive they are etc... 

Best case:  Single Dog: Picking up the stone trick or carrying a stick may work.

Moderate Case: Multiple Dogs:  Picking up the stone trick tends not to work, carrying a stick and all other solutions mentioned may or may not work.

Worst Case: Multiple Aggressive Dogs: Not a lot works - BB Gun ?....  Cattle Prod ?

• Thumbs Up 1

I noticed that dogs are much more aggressive to foreigners when there are Thai's around watching. The dogs know foreigners will shy away from an attack with Thai's around because foreigners don't feel comfortable attacking the dog, thinking it's someone's pet. They can sense that hesitation.

Get me into an open field with some jeans and boots on and not a peep to be found.

Edited by JimTripper

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

I noticed that dogs are much more aggressive to foreigners when there are Thai's around watching. The dogs know foreigners will shy away from an attack with Thai's around because foreigners don't feel comfortable attacking the dog, thinking it's someone's pet. Get me into an open field with some jeans snd boots on and it's clear for miles.

Personally I think it is when the owner is close by

• Agree 1

Compared to India, Thais do NOT love dogs. Dogs in Thailand are often scared (and therefor potentially dangerous), while dogs in Himachal Pradesh (McLeod Ganj) and Goa are super-relaxed and come say hello and sit with you. Not aggressive at all 🥰
Maybe the positive influence of the Dalai Lama?!?

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, JulesMad said:

Compared to India, Thais do NOT love dogs. Dogs in Thailand are often scared (and therefor potentially dangerous), while dogs in Himachal Pradesh (McLeod Ganj) and Goa are super-relaxed and come say hello and sit with you. Not aggressive at all 🥰

There's plenty of reports of tourists experiencing the same here in TH....

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

sure no blood? if so you'll need rabies and tetanus shots

Even if there is no blood,a scratch is also dangerous.

Get medical attention.

I am a long term resident in Thailand, living near the big Buddha Pratamnak/Police station area close to where the big buses park.

soi dogs are a big problem.

There is a population of around a dozen where the buses park - possibly loosely looked after by a stall holder. At one stage there were over two dozen dogs.

These animals charge at people walking along the pavement (frequently frightening tourists onto the roadway in front of bikes and cars).

The dogs also run onto the road way causing vehicles to take avoidance action. People carrying bags are especially targeted. A lot of aggressive barking. I have witnessed people who own property around here arguing with the Thai people feeding these animals - but nothing changes.

Also, the park areas near the Big Buddha (some with exercise equipment) have a large population of Soi dogs. A dog pack leader barking at me recuited around 50 dogs all barking and growling at me, until they lost interest, but the leader bit me on the calf, puncturing my skin, drawing blood along with lacerations and two deep puncture wounds.

This required 5 rabies injections, daily dressings, antibiotics and Hospital visits.

A large attack cannot be fought off with sprays and bat-tons and had I tried the situation would have been worse.

The animals are abandoned by household and then breed in the parks etc.

A co-ordinated cull is required - aggressive behavior is an indicator of animal illness.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Which may explain why dogs don't like you.🤔

I should’ve elaborated. I’m speculating based on material I’ve tried it on. Never used or intend to use it on animals.😅😅😅

• Thumbs Up 1

There are some humane admirable peaceful resolutions suggested but given the need in dire cases of a downright dangerous agressive dog that might even have rabies, a deadly solution is a crushed paracetemol in a small minced meat or tin fish serving.   But the risk of the wrong dog or cat consuming it, or being watched, could make it the mission impossible.

I spray dog repellant all over my home area. Available in most Home Pro. Very efficient. Costly but efficient. But definately would try one ultrasonic repellant but can it not also excite the dog and make it more fierce perhaps ?

when we walk down the road to the temple ,, we usually encounter  2 "group gangs"   I carry this and scrape it on the pavement and bang it a few times so far they seem to get the message that it will definitely leave a mark on their heads

Image 1

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JulesMad said:

Throughout the world it is the way dogs are brought up/cared for, I speak from experience having had my own dog grooming business 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/24/2024 at 4:39 PM, HappyExpat57 said:

Air pellet pistol, using the PLASTIC and not metal pellets. No real harm and it's more the sound that scares them that does the trick.

Not allowed to use this Weapon in Public.....stupid Idea.

• Haha 1