Why the hush money case against Donald Trump is on shaky ground

Social Media

15 minutes ago, Roo Island said:

Agreed. Unless what was written is a dodgy opinion piece

ALL legal analysis is opinion. The gent is listed as an OPINION CONTRIBUTOR on TheHill.com

Republicans rated The Hill as Lean Left on average, while Democrats and Independents rated The Hill on the left side of Center.

https://www.allsides.com/news-source/hill-media-bias

1 hour ago, Roo Island said:

Hard to believe anything Trump says. World's biggest liar

He's a politician just like dozy Biden,I reckon you'd have a job finding an honest politician the world over,as a friend of mine says 'if a politician is talking the chances are he's lying',we are told what politicians want us to believe,the truth doesn't come in to it,after all 'repeat a lie often enough and it becomes truth' and to be a 'good' politician first learn to lie.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Looks like the prosecution's case is falling apart already.

Ummm...no it doesn't. Looks solid with tons of evidence and witnesses. Yo idiot master is in a death spiral down the commode🚽 🪠🤣

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Red Forever said:

Another word salad from a Trump supporting right wing nutter.

Well OK but when I post legal commentary from decidedly left wing former prosecutors who have reservations about the case they are still often considered by the usual suspects on here to be nutters.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Ummm...no it doesn't. Looks solid with tons of evidence and witnesses. Yo idiot master is in a death spiral down the commode🚽 🪠🤣

The NY Times has reporters who practically live at the 2 downtown federal and state courthouses. This was their 21 April headline:

Will a Mountain of Evidence Be Enough to Convict Trump?
Monday will see opening statements in the People of the State of New York v. Donald J. Trump. The state’s case seems strong, but a conviction is far from assured.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jerrymahoney said:

The NY Times has reporters who practically live at the 2 downtown federal and state courthouses. This was their 21 April headline:

Will a Mountain of Evidence Be Enough to Convict Trump?
Monday will see opening statements in the People of the State of New York v. Donald J. Trump. The state’s case seems strong, but a conviction is far from assured.

Read it when it came out. No conviction is ever assured (think OJ "The Slasher" Simpson), but this case appears quite solid. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Read it when it came out. No conviction is ever assured (think OJ "The Slasher" Simpson), but this case appears quite solid. 

Maybe so. Even MS. Habba says she is not expecting anything but a guilty plea. But their are multiple non-right wing nutters that think their are problems with the charges in the case especially if there is an appeal.

• Agree 1

As they say, the Orange One will get his day in court and the prosecution will lay its evidence out for the jury to decide. Innocent until proven guilty!

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Maybe so. Even MS. Habba says she is not expecting anything but a guilty plea. But their are multiple non-right wing nutters that think their are problems with the charges in the case especially if there is an appeal.

Fair enough.

It's wait and see now for us all.

44 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

According to Quinnipiac U Poll, nearly 70% of voters are saying they are watching the trial and 21% saying that they would be less likely to vote for him if convicted. The result could cost him the 2024 election. 

As far as I am concerned all these cases civil or criminal are just side shows compared to the prospect that Trump is again elected President NOV 2024

And pardon my their/there and plea/verdict grammar errors above

Edited by jerrymahoney

11 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

As far as I am concerned all these cases civil or criminal are just side shows compared to the prospect that Trump is again elected President NOV 2024

If TRump is convicted and then loses the election, he will be granted bail pending appeal. If the appeal is unsuccessful, he will most likely have to serve any sentences starting next year probably in Rikers Islan. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

4 hours ago, Roo Island said:

An opinion piece from a conservative republican. Biased a bit? :cheesy:

Not only that, but a multi-time FAILED Republican candidate for Congress... and former SEC prosecutor, which of course gives him great expertise into Trump hush money criminal charges. 🤣

"Demos vied in 2010 for the Republican nomination to compete for the congressional seat of Democrat Tim Bishop on Long Island in New York State in the November 2010 election, coming in second in the primary."

Citing his impending wedding, Demos withdrew from the race May 25, 2012.[32]

On October 6, 2013, he announced he would seek the Republican nomination to run against Congressman Tim Bishop.[33] On June 24, 2014 he lost the primary election to New York State Senator Lee Zeldin.[34]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Demos

George G. Demos is a former United States Securities and Exchange Commission enforcement attorney and an Adjunct Professor at U.C. Davis School of Law where he teaches corporate and white collar crime.

https://thehill.com/opinion/4617077-why-the-case-against-donald-trump-in-hush-money-trial-is-on-shaky-ground/

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, cmjl said:

He's a politician just like dozy Biden,I reckon you'd have a job finding an honest politician the world over,as a friend of mine says 'if a politician is talking the chances are he's lying',we are told what politicians want us to believe,the truth doesn't come in to it,after all 'repeat a lie often enough and it becomes truth' and to be a 'good' politician first learn to lie.

Fair. But it's a fact that Trump's been a liar long before he became a politician. Horrible person.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

All this wouldn't be an issue if a shady person like Trump wouldn't run for president and obviously if nobody would vote for such a person.

As far as I know another issue is that legally a person could be at the same time the president, a convicted criminal, and in jail. It seems there is no law that a convicted criminal, especially someone who is in jail, can't be president.

And can we really blame the lawmakers that there is no such law? Who would ever have thought that someone like that would run for president and that someone would elect him. Until a few years ago that was unthinkable.

All above has nothing to do with the actual politics or Biden. As far as I am concerned Americans should be able to vote for anybody leftwing up to right wing, whatever wing. They should be able to vote for young and old and all that. But a criminal? And a serial liar? What a stupid idea! 

However, more than 70 million Americans voted for Trump, twice.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

All this wouldn't be an issue if a shady person like Trump wouldn't run for president and obviously if nobody would vote for such a person.

As far as I know another issue is that legally a person could be at the same time the president, a convicted criminal, and in jail. It seems there is no law that a convicted criminal, especially someone who is in jail, can't be president.

And can we really blame the lawmakers that there is no such law? Who would ever have thought that someone like that would run for president and that someone would elect him. Until a few years ago that was unthinkable.

All above has nothing to do with the actual politics or Biden. As far as I am concerned Americans should be able to vote for anybody leftwing up to right wing, whatever wing. They should be able to vote for young and old and all that. But a criminal? And a serial liar? What a stupid idea! 

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? As I'm not an American it doesn't matter to me but as I said in an earlier post to be a politician they first need to learn to lie,then there are 3 kinds of lies - lies,damn lies and statistics and I think if those of you who are rooting for dozy Biden opened their eyes and did some research they might find that Biden also has feet of clay.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Of course, any prosecution of a politician is described by the defense as a politically motivated witch hunt. I know if the cops come after me, I'll be shouting the same. Pee! Pee! Pee!

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not only that, but a multi-time FAILED Republican candidate for Congress... and former SEC prosecutor, which of course gives him great expertise into Trump hush money criminal charges.

So you say nothing about what he wrote, just who he is. Here is another opinion that touches on the same concerns:

Some said prosecutors’ decision to characterize the New York case as election interference seemed to be a strategy designed to raise its visibility.

“When (Manhattan District Attorney) Alvin Bragg calls it an election interference case, that’s more of a public relations strategy,” said Paul Butler, a professor at Georgetown Law and former federal prosecutor. “I think there was concern that people were looking at the other prosecutions and they weren’t discussing the Manhattan case.”

Declaring the case a hush money trial made it seem less important than the others and “so they’ve styled it ... as a case about election interference. But again, what he’s charged with is falsifying business records.”

https://apnews.com/article/trump-trial-election-interference-2024-04c50e579ed92754f845c8bfde886fee

Proessor Butler's credentials:

Professor Butler served as a federal prosecutor with the U.S. Department of Justice, where his specialty was public corruption. His prosecutions included a United States Senator, three FBI agents, and several other law enforcement officials.

His area of expertisse involves criminal law and procedure.

https://www.law.georgetown.edu/faculty/paul-butler/

Edited by jerrymahoney

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

and Melania is AWOL in helping him with his Pecker problem, because she's smart enough to realize things are FUBAR in fake Trump world. Power to the Pecker.

As has been noted before, Melania Trump has been listed by Judge Merchan as a potential witness. Potential witnesses are not allowed in Court prior to their testimony.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1