Hospital in Bangkok Fined 100,000 Baht for Rejecting Injured Patient

snoop1130

Just now, BE88 said:

This only happens due to corruption and the letting various governments do, a public service must function as a public service not as a bank. If the hospital does not accept this task it must be closed.

The case of this policeman certainly had insurance and therefore his refusal was unacceptable.

It is true what you say but none stick to that principle. How many people study medicine with the main aim of helping people? Some yes but mostly the money.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BE88 said:

This only happens due to corruption and the letting various governments do, a public service must function as a public service not as a bank. If the hospital does not accept this task it must be closed.

The case of this policeman certainly had insurance and therefore his refusal was unacceptable.

In principle I totally agree. Good luck in finding any medical facility or doctor that will actually adhere to that.

I recall at the time wondering whether there was anyone on staff at the hospital that was qualified to treat an emergency case.  If not, it made sense to send them to a hospital that had someone available.

It's easy to slam the hospital, but details matter.  Is there a legal requirement that all hospitals have someone onsite that can treat any emergency that may show up at any hour, day or night?  Because that would be a huge expense at, for example, a hospital that specializes in eye treatment.

100,000 THB fine is a slap on the wrist.

Jail the top hospital administrator and those responsible for rejecting the patient.  That behavior will end.  A 100K fine - that won't stop them from doing it again. 

ศูนย์อุบัติเหตุ-ฉุกเฉิน - โรงพยาบาลวิภาราม (vibharam.com)

This hospital advertises its emergency treatment center on its website.

Despite the apologists inventing excuses for the place, there is none. 

I recall the Taiwanese patient was rejected because he was alone on admittance, and they couldn't establish if he had insurance. 

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They are.

In time? And in fair amounts?

I don't know the situation but Thailand being Thailand I wouldn't be surprised if the compensation doesn't match the cost of a private hospital and maybe they have to fill many forms and wait many months to get paid.