21 hours ago, Hummin said:

Standard hand luggage is 

56 x 45 x 25 cm

22 x 14 x 9 inches

Carry on under seat 

18 x 14 x 8 inches

45 x 36 x 20 cm

All depending on your ticket and what you paid for to bring onboard

Firstly, a correction - I meant 25mm in my previous post. Of course, 25cm is quite a difference.

My case on that occasion was indeed - around 25mm too big. The ground handling staff were adamant that if it was higher than the guide frame they use, no matter how slightly, it had to go in the hold.  I already had 2 cases in the hold as I have Gold status with them and so I'm allowed extra luggage.  I had to pay extra, there was no arguing with them.

In fairness to Etihad, it wasn't their own staff, it was the outsourced ground handlers at Suvarnabhumi. This was on my return trip - I'd had no problem checking in at Manchester or when connecting at Abu Dhabi on my outbound journey. At that time, Etihad staff were employed at both of those locations (outsourced at Manchester now).

I wrote to Etihad upon my return and pointed out that the suitcase was the same I'd used on my outbound trip and that I thought the ground handlers were over zealous and I was amazed to receive a voucher from them giving me 50% off my next flight but accompanied by a warning not to use the same suitcase again.

Your standard hand luggage sizes are around the average but in fact Etihad's are 50x40x25 - 6cm lower than the figure you state and clearly enough for the ground handlers not to allow my case (53x40x25 approx) as hand luggage.

In fact, Etihad's 50cm height limit is one of the lowest of all the mainstream long haul carriers. Most are 55cm/56cm.

https://www.casesuk.com/carry-on-luggage-sizes.html

I am aware that the class of a ticket can affect the weight and number of pieces you're allowed to carry but I don't ever remember it affecting the size.

Edited by MangoKorat

13 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Emirates Cabin Baggage

Cabin baggage allowances on an Emirates flight will depend on your fare:

Economy: customers are permitted one piece of carry-on baggage, either a handbag or laptop bag, that may not exceed 55 x 38 x 20cm and must weigh no more than 7kg / 15 lbs.

I seem to remember that at one point, British Airways allowed 23kg of cabin baggage. Lift that into the overhead lockers, eh?

https://www.skyscanner.net/news/cabin-luggage-guide-hand-baggage-sizes-and-weight-restrictions.

Look at this Mr Frog.

If you need to take bulky DSLR camera equipment, it's best to take it on the plane if possible.

To suggest that we should only take a small sweater on the plane is silly.

On some airlines, there's no weight restriction as long as you are strong enough to lift it up and place it the bin yourself. 

10 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Firstly, a correction - I meant 25mm in my previous post. Of course, 25cm is quite a difference.

My case on that occasion was indeed - around 25mm too big. The ground handling staff were adamant that if it was higher than the guide frame they use, no matter how slightly, it had to go in the hold.  I already had 2 cases in the hold as I have Gold status with them and so I'm allowed extra luggage.  I had to pay extra, there was no arguing with them.

In fairness to Etihad, it wasn't their own staff, it was the outsourced ground handlers at Suvarnabhumi. This was on my return trip - I'd had no problem checking in at Manchester or when connecting at Abu Dhabi on my outbound journey. At that time, Etihad staff were employed at both of those locations (outsourced at Manchester now).

I wrote to Etihad upon my return and pointed out that the suitcase was the same I'd used on my outbound trip and that I thought the ground handlers were over zealous and I was amazed to receive a voucher from them giving me 50% off my next flight but accompanied by a warning not to use the same suitcase again.

Your standard hand luggage sizes are around the average but in fact Etihad's are 50x40x25 - 6cm lower than the figure you state and clearly enough for the ground handlers not to allow my case (53x40x25 approx) as hand luggage.

In fact, Etihad's 50cm height limit is one of the lowest of all the mainstream long haul carriers. Most are 55cm/56cm.

I am aware that the class of a ticket can affect the weight and number of pieces you're allowed to carry but I don't ever remember it affecting the size.

If I worked for Etihad and you sent me that letter , I would send you a bill for when you took your too big luggage on a flight without paying .

You should have paid extra on both legs of the journey , you shouldn't have gotton anything free for breaking the rules .

My bags are the correct size, why should you be allowed to carry bags that break the rules and also get a a discounted flight ?

Its just not fair 

7 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

If I worked for Etihad and you sent me that letter , I would send you a bill for when you took your too big luggage on a flight without paying .

You should have paid extra on both legs of the journey , you shouldn't have gotton anything free for breaking the rules .

My bags are the correct size, why should you be allowed to carry bags that break the rules and also get a a discounted flight ?

Its just not fair 

I'd travelled with them for years, using the same suitcase and never been checked before.  I'd been using it on other airlines prior to that and it complied.  I was not aware that different airlines have different size allowances. Please remember that we are talking about 25/30mm here.  My bag is in Thailand at the moment so I can't measure it but it just protruded over the size frame so I'm guessing its around 52/53cm.

Clearly you don't work for Etihad and if you did, they'd probably loose a lot of customers.

25/30mm is nothing compared with the idiots who carry far more and seem to get away with it - as per the OP.

Airlines need to (and often do) allow a little discretion as different carriers have different allowances.  How would you go on if you booked with British Airways for Bangkok?  Their carry on allowance is 56x45x25.  However, the flight is operated by Qatar who's allowance is 50x37x25.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Im sure there is some differences between the long haul aircompanies about sizing, especially the low cost operators. Lately I did fly with one cheaper airline which only included the carry on under seat, and not in the locker. 

10 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I don't think anyone with any sense would put a laptop in the overhead locker even if it's in a case. I would always want my laptop in my case except when I was using it.

& where you put it on take off and landing...  You're not allowed to have your case on your lap....

All my of flights, my Laptop and other valuables are in the over-head bin / locker (whatever its called)...  and in a back-pack, not in a hard case...  

The overhead locker is simply for carry-on...   whatever that may be and we should all be considerate of whats already there when stowing our bag (and put your own bag above your seat, not in the bins at the the front of the plane !!!).

The issue is the 'idea' of carry-on has altered since airlines started charging extra for luggage.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Its just not fair 

The fact that Mango received this response (below) instead of yours above highlights why they are a major world class leading airline and you are....    a guy called Nick Carter !!!...  *(though anonymity if this forum means you could be anyone - though I suspect a bald British guy with a hairy back actually called Nick Carter !!!).... 

2 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

I was amazed to receive a voucher from them giving me 50% off my next flight but accompanied by a warning not to use the same suitcase again.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The fact that Mango received this response (below) instead of yours above highlights why they are a major world class leading airline and you are....    a guy called Nick Carter !!!...  *(though anonymity if this forum means you could be anyone - though I suspect a bald British guy with a hairy back actually called Nick Carter !!!).... 

You would be wrong about that , I have a full head of blond hair and don't have a hairy back , and Nick isn't my real name , but you were right about me not being an major world class leading airline 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:
30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You would be wrong about that , I have a full head of blond hair and don't have a hairy back , and Nick isn't my real name , but you were right about me not being an major world class leading airline 

Smart move...  you haven't had so many people enter you for a ride then...     :1zgarz5:

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Smart move...  you haven't had so many people enter you for a ride then...     :1zgarz5:

This really isn't the place for making passes at other posters  , those kinds of passes should be send by PM

(I just knew that I shouldn't  have mentioned my full head of blond hair and my hairless back)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

This really isn't the place for making passes at other posters  , those kinds of passes should be send by PM

(I just knew that I shouldn't  have mentioned my full head of blond hair and my hairless back)

Thank-you for your warming response to my PM...   appreciate the saucy photos & see you in the Blue Oyster at eight tomorrow... !!! 🙃 👨‍❤️‍👨

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thank-you for your warming response to my PM...   appreciate the saucy photos & see you in the Blue Oyster at eight tomorrow... !!! 🙃 👨‍❤️‍👨

Shall I bring the banana or the cucumber ?

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2024 at 3:40 PM, Lacessit said:

If I am picking up hold luggage, I wait seated until nearly everyone has left the plane. I've never had the situation where my luggage beats me to the carousel.

I am usually last aboard, or close to it. No plane can take off when there is hold luggage aboard, and no corresponding passenger.

Travel (work) smart not hard. 👍

I also cannot understand how adult people do not understand how boarding and unboarding of an airplane works and how much more efficient it would be to just be calm and relaxed and wait the correct turn.

On 4/26/2024 at 4:49 PM, Prubangboy said:

Also: Toberone chocolate bar -ever knowingly bought outside of Duty Free?

They were once a really good chocolate until bought up by the Americans (since then they do not have the hidden bear inside the mountain on the packaging any more, as not a majority Swiss company).

But of course I live in Europe, so getting good chocolate is not a particularly high hurdle.

15 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I don't think anyone with any sense would put a laptop in the overhead locker even if it's in a case. I would always want my laptop in my case except when I was using it.

Most of the people put their laptops in the overhead lockers, I never had issues myself.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/27/2024 at 6:40 PM, Lacessit said:

No, I am complaining about oversize, overweight luggage which is put into overhead lockers, because some airlines don't have the spine to say no to the selfish gits who abuse the system and other passengers.

The wheels are another indicator what's inside is too heavy to be "carry-on".

If you can't carry 7 kg of belongings a couple of hundred metres, I recommend a program of diet and exercise.

Recently many airlines, especially the LCC sell extra carry-on luggage up to 14 kilos. It still needs to fit the cabin sizes.

The hard shell suitcases are mostly standardised now, and there is cabin fit size.

I personally never use cabin hard shell suitcase, it weighs around 2kg itself, only 5kg left to use.

• Like 1

Just about to do Dubai trip. Air Asia from Phitsanulok to DMK is 20kg allowed/paid for. Emirates to DXB, 25kg. Crazy. What can I buy which weighs 5kg at BKK to put in my case?  555

2 hours ago, gearbox said:

Recently many airlines, especially the LCC sell extra carry-on luggage up to 14 kilos. It still needs to fit the cabin sizes.

The hard shell suitcases are mostly standardised now, and there is cabin fit size.

I personally never use cabin hard shell suitcase, it weighs around 2kg itself, only 5kg left to use.

Yep. I’ve moved household goods to Asia a couple of times, and the last thing you do is use these hard cases. You know who has this concept down pat are the Filipinos. And how do they travel? Cardboard boxes. Why? Because they weigh nothing. All the baggage weight is left for the actual baggage, not these ridiculous, indestructible behemoths. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, gearbox said:

Most of the people put their laptops in the overhead lockers, I never had issues myself.

I thought that with people always stuffing things around the laptop case which is a soft case, there could have been problems.

On 4/27/2024 at 7:24 AM, save the frogs said:

Again, please explain why someone should be more concerned about your belongings than their own

common courtesy maybe?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

A great argument for euthanasia at birth. Don't take it personally.

You are advocating to kill people because you don't like carry on bags.

BWHAHAHHAA 🤣

Poor boomer. Is this the bitterness people talk about at the end of their life?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

You are advocating to kill people because you don't like carry on bags.

BWHAHAHHAA 🤣

Poor boomer. Is this the bitterness people talk about at the end of their life?

Is that info from your personal experience........?   🤔

• Haha 1

Donkeys years ago I flew here on Aeroflot. 

On the Bangkok - Moscow leg just about every family brought on board one of those large cylindrical cardboard tubs of washing detergent powder. All left in the aisle

Presumably washing powder was "dues out" in Russia?

On 4/26/2024 at 8:29 PM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

People will be jealous given the hellish heatscape that is Bangkok and Thailand. I am enjoying the cool Melbourne weather. But when I go to Thailand in coming weeks I have 14 kg carry on rather than normally half of that which means 2 decent sized bags so saves me having to pick up bags later. 

I think it is exactly the point, so many feel as follows:

"My convenience is so much more important than the inconvenience I cause others."

Question for Thai Air Asia travellers. Their Baggage Guidelines say they will not allow more than 2 spare batteries/power packs in your carry on luggage (and none in the checked bags of course).

I've flown Air Asia from many other points in Asia but only the THAI Air Asia rules have this restriction.

Have any of you run into this issue? It's pretty limiting for me. I probably won't fly Thai Air Asia because of it.

On 4/27/2024 at 7:14 AM, doctormann said:

Try flying on the internal Chinese airlines.  On landing, as soon as the wheels touch the runway the passengers are up and out of their seats, grabbing their stuff from the overhead lockers.  Once at the gate they all make a dash for the toilets.  I was told by a 'reputable' authority that they are reluctant to use the on-board toilets as there is a dragon hiding in there.  Hence, on landing they are all bursting to go to the loo.  Quite funny to see but not at all safe.  The airline staff seem not to give a hoot.

The strange thing I have noticed on every flight I have taken is that no sooner is the aircraft airborne than a lot of people want to use the toilet, a line forms outside every toilet, they can't go in the airport, it has to be on the plane, maybe they just want their money's worth.