Carry-on madness

55 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Baggage is weight, the heavier an aircraft is, the more fuel it consumes. That's serious money.

If airlines did not charge extra for check-in baggage, I could guarantee there would be morons turning up with 50 - 100 kg of crap. Privileges invariably get lost because people abuse a system.

I don't mind paying for checked baggage. My carryon stuff is usually a couple of kg, light jacket, phone, powerbank and toiletries.

I'm not sure what you mean by gate-checked baggage. Not a good idea if said baggage has lithium batteries, and why should I be giving up space allocated to me to someone who doesn't want to put their stuff where it should be?

'Gate checked'...  when there is no more room in the overhead bins, some passengers are then forced to put their luggage in the hold. 

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Actually, I use a soft shell carry on and a backpack as a personal item

So TWO items of cabin luggage. Naughty naughty. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

It's the airline's responsibility, not yours. So, if they allow these small trolleys as carry-on, it will be used. If they don't check the size and weight (but they usually do with normal airlines) you should take it up with the airline. Good luck.

if you are getting fed up with other people's luggage, just travel business as we normal people do.

Normal people travel cattle-class, only show-offs and people with too much money travel business class (as they often do NOT pay themselves!)

I am so glad I am NOT your kind of 'normal' people, they are so boring normally :cheesy:

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, JulesMad said:

Normal people travel cattle-class, only show-offs and people with too much money travel business class (as they often do NOT pay themselves!)
I am so glad I am NOT your kind of 'normal' people, they are so boring normally

It was also a joke and you missed it for whatever reasons. Anyway.

Calling them 'show offs' can only come from poor people. They are paying for comfort, not to show off. And if you are wondering about selfies made in business class - how many selfies are done in eco and put on fb/ig. Many more.

Personally I can't afford business class all the time but EU <-> Asia it has to be business class for me, I am a tall/big guy and also got panic attacks in my early adulthood in situations where people get very close together and won't stand 10h+ in the seat made for petite girls.

So, me traveling business class means the airplane is not at risk at getting hijacked by me because of a panic attack. Win, win.

Edited by AreYouGerman
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

Calling them 'show offs' can only come from poor people. They are paying for comfort, not to show off. And if you are wondering about selfies made in business class - how many selfies are done in eco and put on fb/ig. Many more.

Personally I can't afford business class all the time but EU <-> Asia it has to be business class for me, I am a very tall guy and also got panic attacks in my early adulthood in situations where people get very close together and won't stand 10+ in the seat made for petite girls.

So, me traveling business class means the airplane is not at risk at getting hijacked by me because of a panic attack. Win, win.

In your first post on this thread, you stated I should travel in business class like normal people do.

In this post, you seem to be admitting you are far from normal.

• Haha 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

In your first post on this thread, you stated I should travel in business class like normal people do.

I am admitting nothing, I am telling a story to make me not sound an <deleted> to the poor people who can't afford business class. 🤣

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

I am admitting nothing, I am telling a story to make me not sound an <deleted> to the poor people who can't afford business class. 🤣

So now you are saying no-one should believe what you post.

You're a bit late with not sounding like a knob, the condescension in your first post saw to that.

Don't you know when you're in a hole, it's best to stop digging?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

So now you are saying no-one should believe what you post.

You're a bit late with not sounding like a knob, the condescension in your first post saw to that.

Don't you know when you're in a hole, it's best to stop digging?

You didn't get the joke and now you're mad about it. Poor boomer!

Keep bickering, it feeds my troll'ish ego 🤣

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It doesn't matter to where I'm travelling.  My luggage stays the same. No check in, 1 bag within dimensions and weight for overhead locker plus over shoulder bag with electronics in it. 

If I need more clothes, the I buy them in the new country. 

Travel light always. No waiting at baggage carousels for luggage that may turn up. 

K. I. S. S. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

So TWO items of cabin luggage. Naughty naughty. 

That's what the airlines allow, as I posted earlier.

The problem is you people don't know the airline allowances.

The ALSO allow a big bag of food. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/26/2024 at 1:21 PM, Lacessit said:

If they all meet airline specifications for carry-on luggage, I will bare my bum in Times Square.

I've noticed that on recent flights.  I remember having to pay for my hand luggage to go in the hold because it wouldn't fit in the little 'size frame' Etihad used to use - something like 25cm too big, never chanced it since.  All the damned airlines have different specs for their hand luggage sizes - seems you have to buy a different one depending on which airline you choose. However, as you say - some people are taking the p*ss.

As for it being annoying - yes, much the same as those gits that have rucksacks on their backs and turn around in the aisle next to your seat - knocking you for six!

Edited by MangoKorat

13 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I've noticed that on recent flights.  I remember having to pay for my hand luggage to go in the hold because it wouldn't fit in the little 'size frame' Etihad used to use - something like 25cm too big, never chanced it since.  All the damned airlines have different specs for their hand luggage sizes - seems you have to buy a different one depending on which airline you choose. However, as you say - some people are taking the p*ss.

As for it being annoying - yes, much the same as those gits that have rucksacks on their backs and turn around in the aisle next to your seat - knocking you for six!

Standard hand luggage is 

56 x 45 x 25 cm

22 x 14 x 9 inches

Carry on under seat 

18 x 14 x 8 inches

45 x 36 x 20 cm

All depending on your ticket and what you paid for to bring onboard

Edited by Hummin

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

'Gate checked'...  when there is no more room in the overhead bins, some passengers are then forced to put their luggage in the hold. 

That reminds me of what I've experienced twice with KLM.  On both occasions they'd changed the aircraft type on the connecting flight from my local airport to Schiphol.  I kid you not, both times they let us all through the gate and stood at the bottom of the aircraft steps inspecting passengers luggage.

When I arrived I was told that due to the change, my bag had to go in the hold.  As any sensible person would do, I'd put all my valuables in my hand luggage.  I told the KLM staff that I'd be happy for them to put my bag in the hold as long as they gave me written assurance they would cover any losses if anything was missing.

"No can do sir", "Well I'm sorry then, my bag stays with me, you've changed the aircraft without notice, you should either make arrangements of agree cover"  Other passengers heard this and were of the same mind.  A long standoff between passengers and crew ensued and then the airport manager arrived.  Carried the one of the passenger's bags up the steps, tried it in the locked and it fitted. Private discussion took place and we were all (apart from one guy with the biggest piece of hand luggage I'd ever seen) suddenly allowed to put our luggage in the lockers.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

That reminds me of what I've experienced twice with KLM.  On both occasions they'd changed the aircraft type on the connecting flight from my local airport to Schiphol.  I kid you not, both times they let us all through the gate and stood at the bottom of the aircraft steps inspecting passengers luggage.

When I arrived I was told that due to the change, my bag had to go in the hold.  As any sensible person would do, I'd put all my valuables in my hand luggage.  I told the KLM staff that I'd be happy for them to put my bag in the hold as long as they gave me written assurance they would cover any losses if anything was missing.

"No can do sir", "Well I'm sorry then, my bag stays with me, you've changed the aircraft without notice, you should either make arrangements of agree cover"  Other passengers heard this and were of the same mind.  A long standoff between passengers and crew ensued and then the airport manager arrived.  Carried the one of the passenger's bags up the steps, tried it in the locked and it fitted. Private discussion took place and we were all (apart from one guy with the biggest piece of hand luggage I'd ever seen) suddenly allowed to put our luggage in the lockers.

KLM are the worst and not been with them for 25 years. Waiting in departures a fat KLM worker went round just picking up bags and deciding if they were too heavy or not and sending some off to the hold, no scales used, one or two arguments. On the plane after moving twice when asked to change seats so people could sit together the cabin staff asked me to move for a third time so a large family could sit together. When I refused they called me an awkward passenger. KLM, the oldest and the worst IMO.

2 minutes ago, proton said:

KLM are the worst and not been with them for 25 years. Waiting in departures a fat KLM worker went round just picking up bags and deciding if they were too heavy or not and sending some off to the hold, no scales used, one or two arguments. On the plane after moving twice when asked to change seats so people could sit together the cabin staff asked me to move for a third time so a large family could sit together. When I refused they called me an awkward passenger. KLM, the oldest and the worst IMO.

Perhaps the strangest was a Spanish airline, in the days before smoking was entirely banned. I get to my non-smoking seat, after the plane takes off the people in seats in front of me and behind me are lighting up.

I asked one of the flight attendants why. According to him, the smoke was distributed better.

I remember flying business class with KLM from Tokyo to Amsterdam. 1990's. The Dutch really knew how to do good airline food.

12 hours ago, save the frogs said:

That's what the airlines allow, as I posted earlier.

The problem is you people don't know the airline allowances.

The ALSO allow a big bag of food. 

Emirates Cabin Baggage

Cabin baggage allowances on an Emirates flight will depend on your fare:

Economy: customers are permitted one piece of carry-on baggage, either a handbag or laptop bag, that may not exceed 55 x 38 x 20cm and must weigh no more than 7kg / 15 lbs.

I seem to remember that at one point, British Airways allowed 23kg of cabin baggage. Lift that into the overhead lockers, eh?

https://www.skyscanner.net/news/cabin-luggage-guide-hand-baggage-sizes-and-weight-restrictions.

Look at this Mr Frog.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I traveled economy for decades as it's what my Co. booked for me. Recently I took my kid with me to US and booked Premium Economy for first time which runs double cost of economy. That alone is a world of difference. Only 2 bulkhead seats that are bigger, softer, more leg room, better food. Just makes for a better 13 hr flight. Upgrading to business would be doable but for 2 people that would run close to $9000. usd vs $4000 for PE. I just can't pull the trigger on that. Maybe when I start flying solo again I'll do the business class.

8 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I traveled economy for decades as it's what my Co. booked for me. Recently I took my kid with me to US and booked Premium Economy for first time which runs double cost of economy. That alone is a world of difference. Only 2 bulkhead seats that are bigger, softer, more leg room, better food. Just makes for a better 13 hr flight. Upgrading to business would be doable but for 2 people that would run close to $9000. usd vs $4000 for PE. I just can't pull the trigger on that. Maybe when I start flying solo again I'll do the business class.

Premium Economy varies, some airlines the seats are not much better than economy. A couple of inches of leg room, better food, not much more.

Air Asia used to have lie-flat seats in Business on the KL to Melbourne leg. Still too short to straighten my legs completely.

Pre-COVID, there used to be some quite good deals for Business class, now the differential in price is just too much to justify the extra.

I have flown First Class twice, on someone else's dime. That really is luxury travel.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 8:07 AM, Robert Paulson said:

Basically his position would be like if I got a rear and front bumper on my car and as I parallel park I can bump the cars in front and behind because I am protected. If they don’t like it they can get protection too! What a joke. The people with these hard shell cases need to at the very least store them up top delicately. There are other peoples delicate items up there, that is the entire point of carryon. 

I always thought that the top lockers were for carry on cases, not for all the other delicate things like bags of doughnuts etc. On my last flight there was no room for my case so one of the cabin crew took my case away and I had to go looking for it when the plane landed.

• Agree 1

On 4/27/2024 at 8:04 AM, Robert Paulson said:

You can look right in the airplane guidelines. Carryon is for things like purses backpacks laptop cases etc. so no… the people doing the jamming and acting like everyone else’s stuff is indestructible are the problem, not me. 

I don't think anyone with any sense would put a laptop in the overhead locker even if it's in a case. I would always want my laptop in my case except when I was using it.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Perhaps the strangest was a Spanish airline, in the days before smoking was entirely banned. I get to my non-smoking seat, after the plane takes off the people in seats in front of me and behind me are lighting up.

I asked one of the flight attendants why. According to him, the smoke was distributed better.

I remember flying business class with KLM from Tokyo to Amsterdam. 1990's. The Dutch really knew how to do good airline food.

My parents were on a flight to Bulgaria & Mum smoked so asked for a smoking seat but Dad didn't so asked for a non smoking seat... They ended up sat in Aisle seats opposite each other... Left for Smoking, Right for non-smoking 😛    

Edited by Mike Teavee

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

No, I am complaining about oversize, overweight luggage which is put into overhead lockers, because some airlines don't have the spine to say no to the selfish gits who abuse the system and other passengers.

The wheels are another indicator what's inside is too heavy to be "carry-on".

If you can't carry 7 kg of belongings a couple of hundred metres, I recommend a program of diet and exercise.

What about the 12 kg on your carry on which is allowed on KLM? Surely that would need wheels even for a fit 6ft 76kg guy like me.

14 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

What about the 12 kg on your carry on which is allowed on KLM? Surely that would need wheels even for a fit 6ft 76kg guy like me.

18KG If you're travelling Business Class 😉  

Seriously, thanks for pointing that out as I bought a cheapish (80,000 THB BKK-MAN return) Business Class Ticket with Air France/KLM which only allows you 1 item of checked luggage so now I know that I'll be packing my roll-on (hard case with wheels obviously) as full as I can + adding a few extra bits to my laptop rucksack, all will go nicely into the overhead bin.

If it's like the Air France flight coming over there'll be 1 overhead bin per seat, I could have fit twice as much stuff in there, in fact reading the KLM baggage guidelines I'm allowed 2 carry-ons (+ laptop bag) so I might pop out & buy another one 🙂  

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

I always thought that the top lockers were for carry on cases, not for all the other delicate things like bags of doughnuts etc. On my last flight there was no room for my case so one of the cabin crew took my case away and I had to go looking for it when the plane landed.

You thought wrong. You can put whatever you want in an overhead.

You probably boarded late to not get any overhead. That’s a you problem

Edited by Robert Paulson
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

I don't think anyone with any sense would put a laptop in the overhead locker even if it's in a case. I would always want my laptop in my case except when I was using it.

It’s funny reading these posts because you’re confirming my point: that people are mindless, selfish cucks who don’t give a damn about anyone else’s stuff but their own. Otherwise why would putting something delicate up there be such a danger? And yes! I agree with you. People are mindless cucks

further, I really don’t understand where people get these myths about things like “space” under the seat in front of you. Maybe a 4 year old girl has a little space under the seat in front of them. Grown men don’t. 

Edited by Robert Paulson

On 4/27/2024 at 1:44 PM, Lacessit said:

And why is there no room in the overhead bins? Because selfish <snip> have occupied it all with oversize items.

My luggage is just more important than yours. Don't take it personally.

7 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

further, I really don’t understand where people get these myths about things like “space” under the seat in front of you. Maybe a 4 year old girl has a little space under the seat in front of them. Grown men don’t. 

Well, it's what some airlines tell their passengers. I will fly within EU soon and it specifically states on the airline's website that 'a small bag' must be placed under the seat in front while the locker can be used for a small 8kg trolley bag.