Carry-on madness

3 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

You can look right in the airplane guidelines. Carryon is for things like purses backpacks laptop cases etc. so no… the people doing the jamming and acting like everyone else’s stuff is indestructible are the problem, not me. 

Are you sure you are familiar with the rules?

What you are describing is the personal item in addition to the carry on. 

22 inches x 14 x 9 is a decent size luggage

Maybe some smaller budget airlines have stricter rules, but here is Delta airlines:

Delta Air Lines

Delta flyers are allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item.

• Including wheels and handles, measurements may not exceed 22 inches long, 14 inches width and 9 inches high. The total length plus width plus height of baggage must not exceed 45 linear inches.

• For personal items, Delta says size examples are purses, small backpacks and laptops.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Are you sure you are familiar with the rules?

What you are describing is the personal item in addition to the carry on. 

22 inches x 14 x 9 is a decent size luggage

Maybe some smaller budget airlines have stricter rules, but here is Delta airlines:

Delta Air Lines

Delta flyers are allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item.

• Including wheels and handles, measurements may not exceed 22 inches long, 14 inches width and 9 inches high. The total length plus width plus height of baggage must not exceed 45 linear inches.

• For personal items, Delta says size examples are purses, small backpacks and laptops.

You just posted exactly what I said. Good job for confirming my statements. People carry personal items onto planes; it goes without saying they should be handled with care by other passengers. 

Like I said to the other guy, if this is ok with you I’ll just put bumper on my car and smash into your car as I parallel park, having no regard for anyone else’s property but my own. That would make perfect sense in your world, right? Since your car is protected all is fair game. Joke. There are other humans on this earth, not just you. Learn to deal with this fact properly 

Edited by Robert Paulson
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

49 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

There are plenty of hard shell cases that are designed with carry-on dimensions.

There are some that are even smaller than maximum carry on size.

Again, please explain why someone should be more concerned about your belongings than their own.

If you know everyone else has a hard shell and you have fragile stuff, buy a hard shell.

I am not the poster you are arguing with over the issue of damage to fragile items.

Having said that, I fail to see why my luggage choices should be dictated by the lack of consideration of others.

There are also plenty of oversize hard shell cases with wheels being stowed in overhead lockers, which is a contradiction. Why does something supposed to be carried need wheels?

Either you have not flown for a while, or you just don't want to see what is staring you in the face.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

59 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

There are plenty of hard shell cases that are designed with carry-on dimensions.

There are some that are even smaller than maximum carry on size.

Again, please explain why someone should be more concerned about your belongings than their own.

If you know everyone else has a hard shell and you have fragile stuff, buy a hard shell.

I actually don’t have a problem with people using hard shell. To me it seems like luggage that should have been checked, because why wouldn’t it? It’s indestructible. But since the answer is probably “I already checked my maximum luggage” I’d say you need to handle other people’s carryon accordingly.

There are plenty of real life examples of similar scenarios we deal with everyday but people like you I suppose are too dense to realize it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This is kind of an issue that airlines really don’t want to have to address head on.

In some airports, given how the gates are set up, they would have better ability to monitor and enforce this.

For example, in BKK for international departures, you usually walk down one floor to the gate area and they gate area is self-contained and with no way to add/subtract baggage and only one way to enter.  So, they could do an efforcenaent check right there as you enter the gate holding area.

But again, not all airports are logistically and structurally set up this way.. but i suspect the larger issue is that carriers don’t want to deploy more staffing to just baggage matters.. preferring to do a more cursory check at the check-in counter and taking a harder stance on checked bags.

13 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I always favored the scales method, where the passenger stands on a scale with ALL their luggage etc and are charged per total weight of everything including them, not individual parts of it.

where and when did you experience this?

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am not aware of business class being available on domestic flights within Thailand.

Normal people prefer to spend their money on things less ephemeral than business class big-noting.

Depends on your accountS assets.  If it is limited....

I agree with you.

It might depend on the airline and your nationality. My wife flew to London from Bangkok and her suitcase weighed around 60 kilos. I couldn't lift it when she arrived, and instead of going to our destination by train I had to pay over 50 pounds for a taxi. Similarly, her friend flew to Germany with a suitcase that weighed over 50 kilos. Both passengers were Thai. Both were not charged extra. Both flew Thai. I was 5 kilos over flying to Tokyo and was charged.

16 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It might depend on the airline and your nationality. My wife flew to London from Bangkok and her suitcase weighed around 60 kilos. I couldn't lift it when she arrived, and instead of going to our destination by train I had to pay over 50 pounds for a taxi. Similarly, her friend flew to Germany with a suitcase that weighed over 50 kilos. Both passengers were Thai. Both were not charged extra. Both flew Thai. I was 5 kilos over flying to Tokyo and was charged.

50 or 60kgs is a retarded amount to travel with for a holiday.

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Or the ones who have the carry-on, then add a couple of large Krispy Kreme boxes. Eat s##t and die.

See it every time when flying from bkk to Roi et. 1-2 carry on bags and a doughnut bag or two with about 2-3 boxes in each one ! 

Doughnuts must be more addictive than crack cocaine I guess 🙈

9 minutes ago, ronster said:

See it every time when flying from bkk to Roi et. 1-2 carry on bags and a doughnut bag or two with about 2-3 boxes in each one ! 

They are a status symbol, same as a Mercedes or Patek Philippe. Cheaper alternatives do the job just as well, it's more about image.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

It's the airline's responsibility, not yours. So, if they allow these small trolleys as carry-on, it will be used. If they don't check the size and weight (but they usually do with normal airlines) you should take it up with the airline. Good luck.

if you are getting fed up with other people's luggage, just travel business as we normal people do.

Guess I am "abnormal" as I cannot afford business clas (like the vast majority ... are you from D.C?). My work around is an airline credit card which allows priority boarding. Thus, I get my overhead stowed in "economy" before the excess baggage takes up more than their one carryon bag space (in which, I agree with you..

Edited by Wrwest

1 hour ago, ronster said:

Dunin Donuts ... buy 6, get 6 free!

6 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

I actually don’t have a problem with people using hard shell. To me it seems like luggage that should have been checked, because why wouldn’t it? It’s indestructible. But since the answer is probably “I already checked my maximum luggage” I’d say you need to handle other people’s carryon accordingly.

There are plenty of real life examples of similar scenarios we deal with everyday but people like you I suppose are too dense to realize it. 

Actually, I use a soft shell carry on and a backpack as a personal item.

And the hard shell for check in. 

But who knows what people are transporting? Bottles of alcohol? Ha ha.

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

50 or 60kgs is a retarded amount to travel with for a holiday.

Does it not depend on the length of holiday and the weather conditions you plan for experiencing. Sorry, there I go thinking again. Just thinking of our trip (me, Wife, Daughter) this time last year for one month to the states. Yep, 3 check-in bags just under 50 lbs, 3 roll-ons and 3 backpacks. Took the train CNX to BKK, van on return BKK to CNX.

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Why does something supposed to be carried need wheels?

So now you're complaining about luggage with wheels?

Because if you're taking your crap with you for any long distance, those wheels will make it much more comfortable than lugging it over your shoulder.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The biggest problem with luggage is air.

You could buy special bags that you could suck the air out of. Use a vacuum pump or suck it out manually. Could reduce the size of your luggage by half. Roughly the same weight though.

15 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

Does it not depend on the length of holiday and the weather conditions you plan for experiencing. Sorry, there I go thinking again. Just thinking of our trip (me, Wife, Daughter) this time last year for one month to the states. Yep, 3 check-in bags just under 50 lbs, 3 roll-ons and 3 backpacks. Took the train CNX to BKK, van on return BKK to CNX.

60kgs is a retarded amount to travel with.

50lbs for a month is more realistic, about 24kgs.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

So now you're complaining about luggage with wheels?

Because if you're taking your crap with you for any long distance, those wheels will make it much more comfortable than lugging it over your shoulder.

No, I am complaining about oversize, overweight luggage which is put into overhead lockers, because some airlines don't have the spine to say no to the selfish gits who abuse the system and other passengers.

The wheels are another indicator what's inside is too heavy to be "carry-on".

If you can't carry 7 kg of belongings a couple of hundred metres, I recommend a program of diet and exercise.

• Haha 2

I see this primarily as the airlines fault when charging extra for luggage. 

With so many people taking their large carry-on luggage, the security lines become ridiculous, this is particularly bad in at the security screening in the UK, particularly in the summer when so many people are off on a cheap holiday and trying to avoid check-in baggage fees. 

The additional issue is when boarding by row and you are near the front, but someone at the rear of the plane who'd boarded earlier places their carry on in the overhead bin above your seat - then the flight attendants ask that you 'gate-check' your baggage (which valuables). 

IF airlines didn't charge extra for check-in baggage - the issue would be greatly reduced. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I see this primarily as the airlines fault when charging extra for luggage. 

With so many people taking their large carry-on luggage, the security lines become ridiculous, this is particularly bad in at the security screening in the UK, particularly in the summer when so many people are off on a cheap holiday and trying to avoid check-in baggage fees. 

The additional issue is when boarding by row and you are near the front, but someone at the rear of the plane who'd boarded earlier places their carry on in the overhead bin above your seat - then the flight attendants ask that you 'gate-check' your baggage (which valuables). 

IF airlines didn't charge extra for check-in baggage - the issue would be greatly reduced. 

Baggage is weight, the heavier an aircraft is, the more fuel it consumes. That's serious money.

If airlines did not charge extra for check-in baggage, I could guarantee there would be morons turning up with 50 - 100 kg of crap. Privileges invariably get lost because people abuse a system.

I don't mind paying for checked baggage. My carryon stuff is usually a couple of kg, light jacket, phone, powerbank and toiletries.

I'm not sure what you mean by gate-checked baggage. Not a good idea if said baggage has lithium batteries, and why should I be giving up space allocated to me to someone who doesn't want to put their stuff where it should be?

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

UK Health & safety guidelines suggest that the maximum weight per item of luggage should not exceed 23KG though most international airlines will allow up to 32KG  

Current industry recommendations in the IATA Airport Handling Manual include:

• the maximum weight of any single piece of checked baggage should not exceed 23kg (50lbs), without prior arrangement. Although this limit is widely accepted, some airlines will accept baggage up to 32kg, and some foreign carriers have even heavier weight limits.
  • "heavy" tags/labels must be placed on all pieces of baggage which exceed 23kg with the actual weight shown on the tag/label
  • baggage belt weighing scales at passenger check in points should have an audible or visible warning when any individual bag weight exceeds 23kg.

Where heavy bags are identified but not labelled the airline should ensure that systems are in place to ensure weight limits are implemented and heavy bags tagged.

Training and work procedures should include provision for team lifting or alternative lifting methods.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/airtransport/faqs.htm#:~:text=the maximum weight of any,have even heavier weight limits.

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

UK Health & safety guidelines suggest that the maximum weight per item of luggage should not exceed 23KG though most international airlines will allow up to 32KG  

• the maximum weight of any single piece of checked baggage should not exceed 23kg (50lbs), without prior arrangement. Although this limit is widely accepted, some airlines will accept baggage up to 32kg, and some foreign carriers have even heavier weight limits.
  • "heavy" tags/labels must be placed on all pieces of baggage which exceed 23kg with the actual weight shown on the tag/label
  • baggage belt weighing scales at passenger check in points should have an audible or visible warning when any individual bag weight exceeds 23kg.

Where heavy bags are identified but not labelled the airline should ensure that systems are in place to ensure weight limits are implemented and heavy bags tagged.

Training and work procedures should include provision for team lifting or alternative lifting methods.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/airtransport/faqs.htm#:~:text=the maximum weight of any,have even heavier weight limits.

My aim for checked luggage is 17-18 kg, and I have a gauge for weighing it.

I do this because several times I have observed a 1 - 1.5 kg discrepancy between my gauge and the check-in point. It's only one airline I am not going to name.

The difference is in the airline's favor. I wonder how much extra money they make from that little scam.

40 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

don't mind paying for checked baggage. My carryon stuff is usually a couple of kg, light jacket, phone, powerbank and toiletries.

There are different definitions of "carry on" depending what type of trip you're doing.

If you check in a huge suitcase (or two), then maybe you don't need much on the plane.

But for many trips, I am trying to ONLY have a carry on bag and AVOID checking in any bag at all to avoid waiting for checked luggage or potentially losing checked luggage.

That means I need to bring with me as much as I can on the plane. And I will use the maximum allotted 19 inch wheeler.

Edited by save the frogs
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Yes, I know all that. I don't think Thai check-in agents in Bangkok care about UK laws. They only care about helping fellow Thais.

• Like 1