Thailand's Heatwave: High Temperatures of 44 Degrees Expected

webfact

29 minutes ago, NotEinstein said:

Yes, I know humidity has a major effect on how we humans feel and are endangered when it comes to higher temperatures.

If I had a wet bulb thermometer system I would add that, but I don't. The humidity monitor I had failed after a couple of years.

From occasional observation I would say that the humidity hasn't changed much year on year, it going up during the evening, and with rain obviously having the biggest impact. 31% in my house now.

The heat index even in Surat Thani is 48, with an air temperature of 39.  

Up country and in many other parts I think the heat index could be as much as 54.

I've recently started taking some readings. Interestingly during the day my readings tally almost exactly with weather reports, but are up to 5 degrees warmer after 6pm and throughout the evening.  I think it's what is happening in the evenings, especially in urban areas that is probably contributing to heat tiredness, and the very real sense that there is a heatwave. 

34 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

The heat index even in Surat Thani is 48, with an air temperature of 39.  

Up country and in many other parts I think the heat index could be as much as 54.

I've recently started taking some readings. Interestingly during the day my readings tally almost exactly with weather reports, but are up to 5 degrees warmer after 6pm and throughout the evening.  I think it's what is happening in the evenings, especially in urban areas that is probably contributing to heat tiredness, and the very real sense that there is a heatwave. 

The relative humidity always goes up after sundown because the air temperature drops and consequently its ability to hold water vapour reduces, causing more moisture. Our bodies are very inefficient at remembering such things. Every summer 'feels' hotter, when the reality says otherwise. If the weather men of the past had calculated and reported the heat index, it probably wouldn't have been any different from now.

If the current ice-age cycle goes to its normal end, with the poles then becoming ice-free, a lot of that water will be air-bound, probably putting paid to most of mammalian life - humans for sure.

54 minutes ago, NotEinstein said:

The relative humidity always goes up after sundown because the air temperature drops and consequently its ability to hold water vapour reduces, causing more moisture. Our bodies are very inefficient at remembering such things. Every summer 'feels' hotter, when the reality says otherwise. If the weather men of the past had calculated and reported the heat index, it probably wouldn't have been any different from now.

If the current ice-age cycle goes to its normal end, with the poles then becoming ice-free, a lot of that water will be air-bound, probably putting paid to most of mammalian life - humans for sure.

So what's your angle regarding the hot spell in Thailand. From my angle, you seem to be saying it's not happening, or perhaps that it feels hot, but is not a physiological fact.

I really think that today, at least near my house, has been the hottest this year.

It was so hot that when I went outside to open the front gate, to take out the garbage,

I used oven mitts to hold the  padlock.

(Electric bill will go from Bt.3600, last month, to Bt.6000 PLUS, this month.  And, neither hide nor hair of the Soi Dogs have I seen, these days. (hope they are staying cool, and are well-watered, and well-fed.)

8 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

So what's your angle regarding the hot spell in Thailand. From my angle, you seem to be saying it's not happening, or perhaps that it feels hot, but is not a physiological fact.

It obviously is hot, 40.6C today - hottest I have recorded, but not out of the norm for April/May. The same conversations will be had next year......

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

If you guys constantly fixate on the weather, you're going to feel miserable.

Personally, I'm making a point of carrying on as normal, including at least half an hour out in the sun every day. Normal for me means exercising every day, and at least 2 sessions in the gym a week. I'm living it. I do find it difficult sitting in the heat for hours on end though, but air con is a double edged sword, best limited to an afternoon nap and overnight.  I do envy the idle rich.  

Just curious about the attitude of some that's all!  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, NotEinstein said:

It obviously is hot, 40.6C today - hottest I have recorded, but not out of the norm for April/May. The same conversations will be had next year......

Dodging the question! A career in politics beckons. lol.

18 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I really think that today, at least near my house, has been the hottest this year.

It was so hot that when I went outside to open the front gate, to take out the garbage,

I used oven mitts to hold the  padlock.

(Electric bill will go from Bt.3600, last month, to Bt.6000 PLUS, this month.  And, neither hide nor hair of the Soi Dogs have I seen, these days. (hope they are staying cool, and are well-watered, and well-fed.)

According to some on this forum, the padlock feels hot but actually isn't.  Yes, I haven't seen many dogs around lately.