Influenza Spike in Thai Prison Infects 3,000-plus Inmates

image.jpeg

File photo for reference only.

Approximately 3,500 inmates in Nakhon Si Thammarat prison, Thailand, have been affected by an influenza outbreak, resulting in two deaths, according to local health authorities.

The Deputy Permanent Secretary for Public Health, Dr Kittisak Aksornwong, confirmed the outbreak. Between April 19 and 28, 3,442 inmates out of the total 4,427 contracted the Type-A influenza strain. However, all inmates tested negative for Covid-19.

The majority of the affected individuals displayed mild symptoms and were treated with anti-viral medication. Vulnerable inmates are closely monitored and isolated. Maharat Nakhon Si Thammarat Hospital’s Director, Dr Pongpoj Thiranantachai, revealed that 25 inmates needed hospitalization, and five required intubation due to severe symptoms like high fever and low oxygen levels.

Inmates have been classified into three groups based on symptom severity. The rapid virus spread has been attributed to group activities within the prison. All prison visits have been put on hold to control further transmission, with families allowed to contact inmates through video calls.

In preparation for the upcoming rainy season, the government urges seven vulnerable groups to get influenza vaccines, available for free at public hospitals from May to August. The Director-General of the Department of Disease Control, Dr Thongchai Kiratihatthayakorn, announced the distribution of 4.51 million vaccine doses to the public.

Influenza infections are expected to rise in June, peaking between August and November. Vaccination can help reduce symptom severity, hospitalization, and death rates. Since the beginning of the year, influenza has infected 123,739 individuals and caused five deaths in Thailand.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-02

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

Was there no topic last week about HumanRi ghts Watch or Amnesty International?? 4400 inmates and 3500 sick with 2 deaths?? Is there nothing to do for the Thai Government to improve the situation in all prisons in Thailand, or don't punish all offenders with jailterm??

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

"The rapid virus spread has been attributed to group activities within the prison." which in reality means blame overcrowding and poor ventilation.

I've been to NST prison, and it's not nice!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 2long said:

I've been to NST prison, and it's not nice!

I thought that was the whole idea, prison isn't supposed to be nice!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I am just emerging from 10 days with flu-like symptoms. Fever, aches, nausea, some coughing, sniffles, nightmares. Very unpleasant. Covid was negative. Bad-ass virus.

Edited by JackGats

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Deputy Permanent Secretary for Public Health, Dr Kittisak Aksornwong, confirmed the outbreak. Between April 19 and 28, 3,442 inmates out of the total 4,427 contracted the Type-A influenza strain. However, all inmates tested negative for Covid-19.

I wish they all get the treatment they deserve and a full and swift recovery is achieved, just like someone else we know.

• Thumbs Up 1